Contribute
Register

Any experience with the budget 27" IPS monitor from Korea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
CustoMac
CPU
i7-2600k
Graphics
HD 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Mainly the Shamian and Catleap brand.

They use the same LG IPS 2560 X 1440 panels as the Apple 27" Cinema displays, but they cost 1/3 of the price (around $300 on Ebay)

There aren't too many reviews on the net in English, but here this nice guy has a comprehensive guide that makes them sound pretty appealing.

The guys over at Overclocked also have pages of discussion on them.

I gotta say, I am very tempted to pull the trigger on a couple of these. 1080P just isnt cutting it for me anymore.

Attachments

• Yamakasi_Catleap_Q270_LED_Terminator.jpeg
    Yamakasi_Catleap_Q270_LED_Terminator.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 375
  • desk123.jpeg
    desk123.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 214
Hi,

Funny, because I came across this yesterday...
Look in this thread... viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55850&start=3
That guy has bought and reviewed them... (links in his post)
Perhaps worth to put in the HW database (as a cheap alternative on the 27" Cinema Display)

Enjoy the reading ;)

psydafke said:
Hi,

Funny, because I came across this yesterday...
Look in this thread... http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php ... 50&start=3
That guy has bought and reviewed them... (links in his post)
Perhaps worth to put in the HW database (as a cheap alternative on the 27" Cinema Display)

Enjoy the reading ;)

Cool, Thanks. I'm still on the fence about getting these instead of two 24" Dell U2410 which are currently at $399 CAN each. I just need a little push in either direction at this point. :D

I didn't buy any of those myself, so I can't (and shouldn't) push you in a direction, since I haven't any experience with those models (nor the Korean's, nor Dell).
Just remembered reading about them yesterday.
Perhaps you can PM the reviewer about them?

Success with your decision ;)

I got a Shimian with the glass front a few weeks ago.

Fantastic screen for the money (even though I did get stung for £35 by HM Revenue & Customs), identical panel to the Apple screens and mine was fully defect-free.

The casing and stand are a load of bollocks, budget creaky shiny Far Eastern plastic rubbish. The external PSU is big, ugly and in some cases noisy. The glass is taped on; some people reported it coming away from the screen after a while. If you don't care about aesthetics/quality of materials then go for it, for a £200-odd 2560x1440 panel you really can't complain.

I do care and the shoddy build quality was getting on my tits until the situation serendipitously resolved itself with my woman buying me an Apple Cinema Display shortly after as a surprise.

I ditched the Shimian the next day.

...the shoddy build quality was getting on my tits until the situation serendipitously resolved itself with my woman buying me an Apple Cinema Display shortly after as a surprise....
:lol: :lol: :lol: Man,ur "woman" rocks :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back