HIS Radeon HD 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys

I am in need of a new laptop and would prefer to run OSX most of the time. However, a discrete graphics card is pretty much a requirement of mine but I have not been seeing anything promising when I search. Does anyone have a *modern* laptop with a working discrete GPU? Current or previous gen i7 would fit the billing of *modern* in my mind. I had been trying to save for a MBP since I hardly ever use windows but those clowns threw away the non retina 15 inch versions and want $2500 from me.

Any success stories out there at all?

Thanks

Hey guys

I am in need of a new laptop and would prefer to run OSX most of the time. However, a discrete graphics card is pretty much a requirement of mine but I have not been seeing anything promising when I search. Does anyone have a *modern* laptop with a working discrete GPU? Current or previous gen i7 would fit the billing of *modern* in my mind. I had been trying to save for a MBP since I hardly ever use windows but those clowns threw away the non retina 15 inch versions and want $2500 from me.

Thanks

You will need to look for a laptop with a discrete card that is dedicated, not switched. For nvidia, this means not Optimus. I'm not sure AMD has a special name, but when you look at the computer, you want to check graphics devices in Windows Device Manager and be sure that only the discrete card is available, not the Intel HD. If you see both, it is switched and the dedicated card is not supported.

Most modern laptops sold now are switched due to the battery life savings that are offered when the power of the discrete card is not necessary.

Hey guys

Thanks

I have seen some ASUS laptops that have had discrete graphics cards, and I have seen people using them in OS X.
Someone was using a GT 540M (like me) and their laptop did not have an integrated card. They were able to enable this card and use it.
So maybe have a look at some ASUS laptops it may be worth a shot.

Thanks for the info guys. I will continue to look at the laptops, perhaps focusing on rigs from ASUS and Gigabyte meant for gaming. I think it is fairly safe to say that it's unlikely a laptop will not also make use of the integrated graphics to save battery. Maybe by the time I can afford an MBP someone will have a workaround for optimus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back