Contribute
Register

Any benefit to changing the system definition on a working hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a hackintosh that is running perfectly.
I'm one who adheres to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it..." so I don't really want to change anything.

However, it was brought to my attention that during my initial MultiBeast setup, I used the default system definition (iMac14,2) and my build is a Coffee Lake 8th gen i7-8700K, so I should have selected the system definition of (iMac 18,3).

Is there any reason why I should go though the trouble of changing the system definition from (iMac14,2) to (iMac 18,3) if my hackintosh is running perfectly?

I can assume that since I selected the system definition for 5 year old machine, in the future I may run into a macOS install issue where the older definition is no longer supported by macOS, but would there be any sort of benefit in performance or anything else that would make changing the system definition now recommended on a 100% working machine?

Any info is appreciated, thanks.

I like the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. I started out with 18,3 with MyHero II system, but 10.13.4 rendered the DP ports on my RX 580 graphics card unuseable. Long story short, I read that one user had the same graphics card with working DP ports using the iMac14,2 system definition. Go figure. The 14,2 was chosen as MultiBeast's default SysDef because it...just...works. So, I've been using 14,2 for a while and even the processor power management numbers are great!

So, I recommend to got with the iMac14,2 to get the system running, and only change it when you have to do so for some reason.

I like the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. I started out with 18,3 with MyHero II system, but 10.13.4 rendered the DP ports on my RX 580 graphics card unuseable. Long story short, I read that one user had the same graphics card with working DP ports using the iMac14,2 system definition. Go figure. The 14,2 was chosen as MultiBeast's default SysDef because it...just...works. So, I've been using 14,2 for a while and even the processor power management numbers are great!

So, I recommend to got with the iMac14,2 to get the system running, and only change it when you have to do so for some reason.
I not only like this philosophy, I am fundamentally lazy, so if that means not changing a thing, even better. :D

Sticking with iMac14,2! Thank you, Stork.

I not only like this philosophy, I am fundamentally lazy, so if that means not changing a thing, even better. :D

Sticking with iMac14,2! Thank you, Stork.
You could change your User Build title to "The Lazy Man's Hack Pro, Why work so hard for a Great Build ?"

You could change your User Build title to "The Lazy Man's Hack Pro, Why work so hard for a Great Build ?"
LOL!

That does definitely roll off the tongue a bit better than "HackaShaq's How to Succeed in Hackintoshing Without Really Trying".

If you were so lazy like you saying you wouldn't waste time to post :p hehe So I dare to say you are not that lazy ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back