Contribute
Register

Any benefit in changing Mac identity from Mac Pro 3,1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z97i Gaming Mini-ITX
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
GX970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Might sound a stupid question but my recent build is defaults to a Mac Pro 3,1 as the type of Mac I have.

It's a fairly fast build with a 4790k i7 as well as a GTX970 GPU

So would be make a difference if I was to re identify the build as a 6,1?

Might sound a stupid question but my recent build is defaults to a Mac Pro 3,1 as the type of Mac I have.

It's a fairly fast build with a 4790k i7 as well as a GTX970 GPU

So would be make a difference if I was to re identify the build as a 6,1?

of course, power management, sleep etc. could be improved.

You'll probably be better off using iMac 14,2 for better Haswell power management. I have a Gigabyte H97-D3H myself and iMac 14,2 was recommended by Clover for me to use.

The reason people use Mac Pro 3,1 is because it's the most compatible and easiest to work with. Mac Pro 6,1 is better suited for X79/X99 boards.

As always with major changes, backup - backup - backup.

I am using iMac 13,1 and you should use iMac14,1 / 14,2.

Better would be a Mac Mini because you don't use a discrete graphic card. But for the latest Mac Mini there are no SN# etc. available at the moment.

I am using iMac 13,1 and you should use iMac14,1 / 14,2.

Better would be a Mac Mini because you don't use a discrete graphic card. But for the latest Mac Mini there are no SN# etc. available at the moment.

I changed the def to imac 14.2 and i noticed 2 things: first i noticed that the bar under the apple logo on boot screen is white and not black as it has to be, but this happens only after the glitch which the intel hd4600 has. Another thing is that just after the pc booted up when any sound plays, like trashcan when you delete something in it, the speakers do a sound like a "pop" really loud, this happens to me also in the boot screen but it has always did to me

I changed the def to imac 14.2 and i noticed 2 things: first i noticed that the bar under the apple logo on boot screen is white and not black as it has to be, but this happens only after the glitch which the intel hd4600 has. Another thing is that just after the pc booted up when any sound plays, like trashcan when you delete something in it, the speakers do a sound like a "pop" really loud, this happens to me also in the boot screen but it has always did to me

I too was getting that popping noise when audio used to wake up. The workaround I used was to insulation app called antipop.

It's been my experience that the iMac 13,x system definitions prevent both speed stepping and turbo boost, at least with my Ivy system. I'm running a mildly overlocked (4.5GHz) i7-3770K in a Z77X-UD5H, and I only get speed stepping and turbo boost using a Sandy Bridge SMBIOS, iMac 12,2. Geekbench score is also much higher with iMac 12,2 smbios.plist, which is to be expected when the CPU is allowed to ramp up to 4.5Ghz on a single core and 4.4GHs when all four cores kick in. My system Geekbenches at around 13-14K as an iMac 13,2, and 16-17K as an iMac 12,2. I've noticed no other system behavior differences whatsoever between the two system definitions, so I run it as an iMac 12,2 even though that's technically a Sandy def and my CPU's Ivy.

If you've got an unlocked Ivy i5 or i7 and are using an iMac 13,x smbios.plist, you might try iMac 12,2 and see if your system gets faster when pushed hard and also consumes less power when idle.

It's been my experience that the iMac 13,x system definitions prevent both speed stepping and turbo boost, at least with my Ivy system. I'm running a mildly overlocked (4.5GHz) i7-3770K in a Z77X-UD5H, and I only get speed stepping and turbo boost using a Sandy Bridge SMBIOS, iMac 12,2. Geekbench score is also much higher with iMac 12,2 smbios.plist, which is to be expected when the CPU is allowed to ramp up to 4.5Ghz on a single core and 4.4GHs when all four cores kick in. My system Geekbenches at around 13-14K as an iMac 13,2, and 16-17K as an iMac 12,2. I've noticed no other system behavior differences whatsoever between the two system definitions, so I run it as an iMac 12,2 even though that's technically a Sandy def and my CPU's Ivy.

If you've got an unlocked Ivy i5 or i7 and are using an iMac 13,x smbios.plist, you might try iMac 12,2 and see if your system gets faster when pushed hard and also consumes less power when idle.

I have to agree. Setting my Mac to a Mac Pro 6,1 resulted in my computer losing network connection on wakeup from sleep.

Setting to iMac 12,2 gave me far greater Geekbench as well as Cinebench results.

Much happier with the resultant build now. Not even sure I wish to overclock as the benchmarks are so high

I'm curious, is switching profiles as easy as clicking the box in multibeast and loading it? Do you have to do anything else (other than a back up incase something goes wrong).

I can't imagine going through all the profiles hunting for the best benchmarks is good, but I could be wrong and improved performance is always welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back