i9-9900X
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all, this is my first post as I have been deciding between a hackintosh and an iMac and am now pretty sure a hackintosh is the way I want to go. I have read the custombuild sandy bridge machines and have made a mix between builds 3 and 4 with a few changes as some of the parts I couldn't find here in the UK.

This is what I have:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K Unlocked S1155
Graphics: 1GB Gigabyte HD 6870 OC 4200MHz GDDR5, GPU 915MHz, 1120 Stream Processors, DL DVI-I/ HDMI/ Mini DP
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance Blue DDR3 PC3-12800(1600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.5V
Optical: Sony AD-7260S-0B
HDD: 1TB Seagate ST31000524AS Barracuda
Case: Coolermaster HAF 912 Plus, Black, Mid Tower Case w/o PSU
PSU: 500W Coolermaster Silent Pro M, Modular, 80 PLUS, 85% Eff', SLI/CrossFire, EPS 12V, 135mm Fan
Total price: £760 from scan.co.uk
My main question is the case and psu as I haven't built a computer before, are these compatible. The coolermaster website says the case takes both atx and microatx so I assume that is fine?

Will I encounter any problems getting 10.6.8 on this machine? or is there anywhere I could save a bit of cash with different components? Thanks for any advice!!

Seems compatible to me. That said, you should keep some money to buy a small ssd, at least for installing OSX. It's a waist to use such a powerful CPU with an antique HDD that will slow it down.
I bought a tiny 40GB Vertex 2 for (almost) peanuts and used it for OSX and apps.

Thanks for the confirmation. I was looking at ssds and it's definitely something I will consider. The crucial m4s look pretty sweet - maybe a 128gb one...

One more question, turns out the graphics card isn't available here in the UK yet. I was looking at the XFX HD 6870 black edition (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-xfx- ... i-hdmi-mdp) - would this be compatible?

I really want a card with a mdp just incase I get an apple 27" monitor.

Cheers for any help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back