Intel HD 4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi guys,

I'd like to ask about Antivirus for Hackintosh, (actually for OS X Mavericks 10.9.2) ?

Is it really necessary?

Do U use some?

If I asked guys using Mac many years already, they say they don't use any, case there are no viruses for OS X. If U ask Mac pros, or in Apple Store everywhere U get this same answer. Also I searched this site and also other forums and didn't find may threads about Antivirus on Mac.

Cause I came from Windows world, I can't imagine to be without antivirus. Right now I'm using ESET Cyber Security, but I don't like it much, and slows down my system. But can U stay without antivirus protection, browsing sites, (sometimes download software which U're not sure about, etc...)???

Thanks for comments...

Hi guys,

If I asked guys using Mac many years already, they say they don't use any, case there are no viruses for OS X. If U ask Mac pros, or in Apple Store everywhere U get this same answer. Also I searched this site and also other forums and didn't find may threads about Antivirus on Mac.

That's probably your answer right there! :) I don't and have never used AV on a MAC. About the only time I hear about Mac antivirus is right after a big scare in the PC world....Kapersky and some other companies have tried, and failed, to generate some publicity in an attempt to generate sales for their OSX offerings. Totally unnecessary.

Hi guys,
Cause I came from Windows world, I can't imagine to be without antivirus. Right now I'm using ESET Cyber Security, but I don't like it much, and slows down my system. But can U stay without antivirus protection, browsing sites, (sometimes download software which U're not sure about, etc...)???

Thanks for comments...

I also came from almost 30 years of Windows use. At first it was hard to fathom not running an AV program but so far it's been smooth sailing. As for software you're not sure about, then it's probably best to trust your instincts and move on. :)

I've been using mac from some years now and never had a problem, I remember a pirate version of adobe pack (CS2, IIRC) that I read in a couple of site that has virus, (never installed it, of course) but I don't remember any other situation about it, and this only case came public fast and was with specific pirate soft.

Also mac has some security like firewall and encrustation but I have them disabled, security updates are in the most often of the OS, with leopard a mayor security bug was seen in a convention where tools about 12 seconds to a hacker get in to a mac, but for hacking, not related directly to virus. There came a security update right after that and the Snow Leopard short time later, an OS practically identical (user interface and other stuff) but 80% of the code was re writer and it start to use 32/64-bit hybrid processing. I guess enough history for now, I returned to Leopard after SL because it works better on my old macbook and needed this difference for the job, and now I'm using Mavericks and guess why I'm in the forum :cool: so completely bypassed the Lions so nothing to tell about them, just used a couple of time as a guest in my cousin's and my girlfriend's MacBooks pro and some minor UI but as they wasn't mine I can't tell. I never get used to "natural" scroll, it's just backwards!

JS

.... I never get used to "natural" scroll, it's just backwards!

JS

That can be disabled in your system settings under mouse or trackpad.....

Thank U guys,

so I skipped anti-virus sw for now, I'm running Mavericks fresh reinstalled just few days only... (1 week maybe)... so far, no problems...

But, I'm not trying any unknown sources ;-) (if U know what I mean)

Just subscription from Adobe, some AppStore staff and patches and kexts from Hackintosh sites (this is only thing I worry about). I always try to figure out from forums, if kext is ok or not... But can never be 100% sure, right? So I'll just try to keep my eyes open, and hope it's gonna be smooth ride.

Have good day everybody...

It's a one way ticket, it will be smooth and when it isn't if you have a CCC backup you will be running again in a couple of minutes from the backup drive and solve the problem really fast on the other. Just happen to me with some libraries for the HWMonitor (sensor) after I update to 10.9.2 and booted from the CCC drive, erase the archives, then running again at the first try. Less than 1h of panic, in W it usually took me 3 HS to install from fresh plus drivers last time I did it (some years ago) with this in 30' I have my computer running in the first try (till my first time screwed) and then 30' again. After that only this problem I tell you with the HWM and not a single one more.

Go for it, have always a good backup, even in an original mac is a good idea (nobody told me that, I can tell :rolleyes:)

JS

What did U mean with that corrupted HWMonitor (sensor)??? Can U describe what it was, exactly?

I'm also using HWMonitor from this package
HWSensors.6.8.1307.pkg coming together with FakeSMC.kext (with plugins for sensors) from this site http://sourceforge.net/projects/hwsensors/ but I would say they work great, I did not realize any problem.

Hi,

I do use one. In fact you don't really have to worry about your Hackintosh being infected by a virus, but it can help you not to infect your PC, by deleting infected email and so on.
I personnaly have ESET Endpoint (Business Edition) on my Windows, and the license also work for the Mac edition.

The program itself works like a charm on my hackintosh.

There are no viruses for Macs? Total rubbish. There are viruses out there, but they are not very common.

The virus authors and hackers focus most of their attention on the most popular operating system - Windows. More users, more data, more gains, so that is where they focus their efforts.

There are some viruses out there for Macs, but as you are forced to enter your password before you can install anything there has to be some user input before the virus can effect your machine.

As always, being carful with what you install will negate the need for an AV software on a Mac.

As Macs get more popular they will attract more attention form the bad people, so AV software on Macs may soon become a lot more common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back