Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a non-booting system that was working fine yesterday, completely useless today. Keep getting the 'no entry' sign and other failures, from a whole load of different drives, USB installers, clones etc.

The problem might be SIP - but how do I disable SIP if I can't get to terminal, can't boot into the Recovery drive, can't edit the config.plist?

Is there any way to do it from the Clover boot screen options? Or using BIOS?

Is there any way to do it from the Clover boot screen options? Or using BIOS?
At Clover Boot Screen select Options > System Parameters > System Integrity Protection

Enable Allow Untrusted Kexts, Allow Unrestricted FS, Allow Task For PID, Allow Unrestricted DTrace and Allow Unrestricted NVRAM

At Clover Boot Screen select Options > System Parameters > System Integrity Protection

Enable Allow Untrusted Kexts, Allow Unrestricted FS, Allow Task For PID, Allow Unrestricted DTrace and Allow Unrestricted NVRAM
Thank you. I had found that section and reviewed it and tried all sorts of options, none of which worked - so assumed I must be missing something.

In fact, the default to which it reverts every time is exactly as you have set out here. So I can only assume that SIP is not the root of my problem.

Thank you. I had found that section and reviewed it and tried all sorts of options, none of which worked - so assumed I must be missing something.

In fact, the default to which it reverts every time is exactly as you have set out here. So I can only assume that SIP is not the root of my problem.
I your first post you stated
Keep getting the 'no entry' sign and other failures, from a whole load of different drives, USB installers, clones etc.

• If you could reproduce those "other failures" , take photos of those screens, and then upload the images to the Forum, we might be able to comment on the cause of the problem.
  • Is there a Windows or Linux System in this Computer that boots OK? If you have no other system,
    • Can you test the system with a Live Linux Disc or USB created in the same Boot mode (UEFI or Legacy) as your current Hackitosh , to check the major hardware (MoBo/CPU/Graphics/RAM) as a whole for their health or lack there of causing the issue?

@cmn699, question regarding SIP has been answered
See his Unable to boot, restore, do anything - help! topic for pictures etc.
Thank you.

I just saw them :).

Based on all those data, my best guess is a problem with the RAM , the HDD File System, or even the PSU for the " root device not accessible" error.

Since the OP states the problem involves the USB installer too, odds for my bet favors the RAM to be the most likely source for problem.

A cheap and easy troubleshoot is a Live Linux Disk Test.

What do you think?

I your first post you stated

• If you could reproduce those "other failures" , take photos of those screens, and then upload the images to the Forum, we might be able to comment on the cause of the problem.
  • Is there a Windows or Linux System in this Computer that boots OK? If you have no other system,
    • Can you test the system with a Live Linux Disc or USB created in the same Boot mode (UEFI or Legacy) as your current Hackitosh , to check the major hardware (MoBo/CPU/Graphics/RAM) as a whole for their health or lack there of causing the issue?
Thanks for the suggestions. There is no other system at present, but I do have a macbook available to me so will use that to create a Linux installer and test. I'll report back. If you have any info on how to do a Live Linux Disk Test, it would be much appreciated. I've never used Linux at all, so on a bit of a learning curve here.

Should note that I have no CD drive in this system. I could get one if necessary quite cheaply, I guess. But at present, I'm relying on USB sticks.

I have been able to boot to recovery and main SSD drive by changing the boot order in BIOS, to ensure it uses Clover from the USB stick and not the SSD. So, I think the problem is Clover on the SSD has become corrupted or something. I would like to try removing Clover and doing a clean install of it, but can't find anything on how to do that on this site, or even on Google so far.

Thanks for the suggestions. There is no other system at present, but I do have a macbook available to me so will use that to create a Linux installer and test. I'll report back. If you have any info on how to do a Live Linux Disk Test, it would be much appreciated. I've never used Linux at all, so on a bit of a learning curve here.

Should note that I have no CD drive in this system. I could get one if necessary quite cheaply, I guess. But at present, I'm relying on USB sticks.
If you have any info on how to do a Live Linux Disk Test, it would be much appreciated. I've never used Linux at all, so on a bit of a learning curve here.

• Live Linux Test is just an expression to Run Linux ISO using an Optical Disc or converted into a USB installer disk and run using the RAM and NOT Installed on the Hard disk.
    • When you boot the Computer with the Ubuntu USB Flash drive as First boot device, the screen will show the option either to Try that without installing or Install on the Hard disk.
      • Choose the Try without install option
      • Just watch the screen until you are taken to Live Ubuntu Desktop, provided your essential hardware(MoBo/CPU/Graphics/RAM are OK.
      Ubuntu Linux will have drivers for almost all the hardware and will install them automatically and you would be able to browse the Internet using default browser already configured if you have an Ethernet connection in that Computer to your network. For Wifi in most cases very minimal tweaking is needed.
      • Insert 4GB USB FD in the Mac System.
      • Launch Disk Utility
      • Select the USB Disk >Erase Name it something like UbuntuMac
      • Format: MacOS Extended (Journaled)
      • Partition Scheme :GUID
    • Next you find the "Disk IDENTIFIER of the UbuntuMac FD you have partitioned in GUID and formatted in macOS Extended (Journaled) using the terminal command:
    • diskutil list [See image in my case disk is /dev/disk3]
      1. Next convert the Downloaded Ubuntu ISO image in the "Downloads" folder to Mac usable dmg file using Terminal commands
      2. Launch your terminal
      3. use the following command to convert the downloaded ubuntu-17.04-desktop-amd64.iso to Mac usable dmg appended to its original file name. In the Terminal type and execute the following command:
      • hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o ~/Downloads/ubuntu-17.04-desktop-amd64.iso ~/Downloads/ubuntu-17.04-desktop-amd64.iso [See uploaded image]
      • Wait until an image by name ubuntu-17.04-desktop-amd64.iso.dmg is created inside the "Downloads" folder
      Next step is to create a USB Installer using the dmg created above.
      1. sudo dd if=~/Downloads/ubuntu-17.04-desktop-amd64.iso.dmg of=/dev/rdisk3 bs=1m
      2. Type password
      3. There won't be any terminal output; just watch your USB disk's LED flashing (blinking) for the command execution. Only later you will find the successful completion [See image after reading step 5]
      4. When completed the Desktop will display a warning Popup "Disk you inserted was not readable by this computer " with 3 options. DO NOT CLICK ANY . IGNORE the Popup [See image of Popup]
      5. Go and look for the Terminal you had typed the "dd input file and output file command to see that everything is completed successfully [See image ]
      6. Now in the terminal type the eject command to eject the disk
          • diskutil Eject /dev/disk3
          • You will get a response
          • Remove the disk
      7. Connect the Disk to Problem computer and reboot
      8. Press F12 and Select the Ubuntu
      9. Try Ubuntu without Installing
      10. If everything works Hardware OK

Attachments

• diskutil list to find disk identifier of usb installer.png
    diskutil list to find disk identifier of usb installer.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 184
  • Cmd to convert iso to DMG.png
    Cmd to convert iso to DMG.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 192
  • Disk Inserted Not Readable .png
    Disk Inserted Not Readable .png
    22.8 KB · Views: 182
  • Ubuntu Disk creating cmd_Completed_Eject Cmd.png
    Ubuntu Disk creating cmd_Completed_Eject Cmd.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 170
  • diskutility Partition and Format USB for Ubuntu.png
    diskutility Partition and Format USB for Ubuntu.png
    118.7 KB · Views: 139
  • Live Linux Test is just an expression to Run Linux ISO using an Optical Disc or converted into a USB installer disk and run using the RAM and NOT Installed on the Hard disk.
    • When you boot the Computer with the Ubuntu USB Flash drive as First boot device, the screen will show the option either to Try that without installing or Install on the Hard disk.
      • Choose the Try without install option
      • Just watch the screen until you are taken to Live Ubuntu Desktop, provided your essential hardware(MoBo/CPU/Graphics/RAM are OK.
      Ubuntu Linux will have drivers for almost all the hardware and will install them automatically and you would be able to browse the Internet using default browser already configured if you have an Ethernet connection in that Computer to your network. For Wifi in most cases very minimal tweaking is needed.
      • Insert 4GB USB FD in the Mac System.
      • Launch Disk Utility
      • Select the USB Disk >Erase Name it something like UbuntuMac
      • Format: MacOS Extended (Journaled)
      • Partition Scheme :GUID
    • Next you find the "Disk IDENTIFIER of the UbuntuMac FD you have partitioned in GUID and formatted in macOS Extended (Journaled) using the terminal command:
    • diskutil list [See image in my case disk is /dev/disk3]
      1. Next convert the Downloaded Ubuntu ISO image in the "Downloads" folder to Mac usable dmg file using Terminal commands
      2. Launch your terminal
      3. use the following command to convert the downloaded ubuntu-17.04-desktop-amd64.iso to Mac usable dmg appended to its original file name. In the Terminal type and execute the following command:
      • hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o ~/Downloads/ubuntu-17.04-desktop-amd64.iso ~/Downloads/ubuntu-17.04-desktop-amd64.iso [See uploaded image]
      • Wait until an image by name ubuntu-17.04-desktop-amd64.iso.dmg is created inside the "Downloads" folder
      Next step is to create a USB Installer using the dmg created above.
      1. sudo dd if=~/Downloads/ubuntu-17.04-desktop-amd64.iso.dmg of=/dev/rdisk3 bs=1m
      2. Type password
      3. There won't be any terminal output; just watch your USB disk's LED flashing (blinking) for the command execution. Only later you will find the successful completion [See image after reading step 5]
      4. When completed the Desktop will display a warning Popup "Disk you inserted was not readable by this computer " with 3 options. DO NOT CLICK ANY . IGNORE the Popup [See image of Popup]
      5. Go and look for the Terminal you had typed the "dd input file and output file command to see that everything is completed successfully [See image ]
      6. Now in the terminal type the eject command to eject the disk
          • diskutil Eject /dev/disk3
          • You will get a response
          • Remove the disk
      7. Connect the Disk to Problem computer and reboot
      8. Press F12 and Select the Ubuntu
      9. Try Ubuntu without Installing
      10. If everything works Hardware OK

Many thanks for such a detailed reply. I'll do as you suggest and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back