i7 6700K
Graphics
GTX 950
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've moved the thread over to the Completed Mods section with nicer pictures; Click Here!

I will leave some raw pictures here.

When I bought it, it looks like this.

IMG_2155.JPG

After modding, it looks like this:

IMG_2287.jpg

What's inside:
IMG_2356.jpg IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2358.jpg IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2371.jpg IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2290.jpg IMG_2357.jpg

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 5.22.35 PM.png sata.jpg

Mod of the Sata Power Cable:

I cutted the original sata power cable and am trying to mod using this cables.

I have seen some very stock looking 2008/2010 Mac Pro mod. This makes me comparing the G5 and Mac Pro.

The best advantage of G5 is it contains 4 fans for CPU instead of 2 fans which are used in 2008 Mac Pro. I watched the introducing video of the Mac Pro at youtube. Apple says due to energy efficiency, in the new Mac Pro, they use less fans than G5. I think they give the space to anther optical drive and two more hard drive.
However, I found Apple bring back 2 more fans to the CPU of their 2010 Mac Pro. They hide the fans inside of the heatsink.
heatsinkfan2.jpg

So in terms of structure, I believe Powermac G5 is still better than Mac Pro if you need more fans and a cooler system.

Back to my mod. I worried the fan connected to 5V is not enough for the i7 6700k and the speed can not be adjusted. After I see the hidden fan inside the heatsink of 2010 Mac Pro, I decide to add a 120mm fan to the Zalman FX70 passive cooler.

The Fan I added is Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200, SSO Bearing Fan. The color is similar the the stock fan.

fan.jpg

Some update:

I put everything together during the night of 11-08-16 (The election day). And I got some problems. But finally, here it is. tThe G5 mod is exactly what I planned. I have no problem to install El Capitan. Everything works. I will install windows later.

I will upload some better quality pictures later to show you the details. Pictures here are taken by my old iPhone 5.

1. You can see how stock it looks from the side view.
IMG_2287.jpg

2. It cost me $15 to make this sata power cable.

IMG_2288.jpg

3. No cut from the back. But I got every port I need. (2x USB 3.0 ports, one is connected by a apple usb extension cable. And the displayport for transfer the video and audio to my LG 34um95p monitor.)

IMG_2290.jpg

The back is awesome!! can you post the details?? I want to try this out

I have seen some very stock looking 2008/2010 Mac Pro mod. This makes me comparing the G5 and Mac Pro.

The best advantage of G5 is it contains 4 fans for CPU instead of 2 fans which are used in 2008 Mac Pro. I watched the introducing video of the Mac Pro at youtube. Apple says due to energy efficiency, in the new Mac Pro, they use less fans than G5. I think they give the space to anther optical drive and two more hard drive.
However, I found Apple bring back 2 more fans to the CPU of their 2010 Mac Pro. They hide the fans inside of the heatsink.
View attachment 218931

So in terms of structure, I believe Powermac G5 is still better than Mac Pro if you need more fans and a cooler system.

Back to my mod. I worried the fan connected to 5V is not enough for the i7 6700k and the speed can not be adjusted. After I see the hidden fan inside the heatsink of 2010 Mac Pro, I decide to add a 120mm fan to the Zalman FX70 passive cooler.

The Fan I added is Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200, SSO Bearing Fan. The color is similar the the stock fan.

View attachment 218932

I find this fan does not do any good. It actually block the air flow. Before I install it, the cpu temp is around 28 C. After I installed it, the temp goes up to 40. The temp goes back down to 28C after I uninstall this fan.

Nice build and congratulation about the mod.
I have same PSU and I noticed the fan is allways stoped. Happens the same with yours sf450?

There's a Zero RPM mode. Read the instruction of the PSU.

The original specs:

IMG_2156.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back