Contribute
Register

Another G5 Case Mod, with some useful resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
The G5 case does not have an HDD led, so I decided to do my own fancy version:
2012-11-18 12.33.54.jpg2012-11-18 12.51.44.jpg

I've finished the front panel, I blew all the components off the front panel PCB with an SMD rework tool and attached a USB and firewire lead that I got off of ebay to the pins on the connectors. Then I made up a small relay board to adapt the apple audio out to the standard intel HD audio front panel connector. It works a treat! I have attached my circuit diagram (more like a circuit sketch!) if anyone else wants to use it.
Hi Sheriff, Thanks for the information. I too have a Late 2005 G5, so have been following your thread. I have a question about your circuit. Is there a reason why you chose to use a relay in the circuit? Usually a transistor can provide the switching capability directly, it is just a matter of determining if the direction the current will flow between sense_send and sense_return.

Here is a link to my G5 (unfinished topic). I also took a very similar approach to the motherboard tray, but I did mine by hand as don't have a CNC.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/case-mods/77608-first-powermac-g5-late-2005-project-design-according-ive.html

Hi Kiwi,
There is no reason why you couldn't use a transistor to do the interface for the sensing if you are designing for a particular motherboard. The reason I used a relay is that the Intel HD standard assumes a contact on the connector which is isolated from all other circuitry. The only way to provide a standardised connection is to follow the standard. I will likely be using this case for quite some time, and expect it to outlive 2-3 motherboards, so I designed the circuit to be fully compatible with the intel hd standard so that there will be no issues when I change mobos. Also note that relays are cheap. If it saves 5 minutes of your time on a mobo replacment it has paid for itself.

BTW your build looks tops. Good work.

Ok, it's finished. The computer shop has finally returned my motherboard, it has been repaired. I installed it again, and made up the last of the cables. Pictures here:
2012-12-09 12.28.40.jpg2012-12-09 12.28.50.jpg2012-12-09 12.29.13.jpg2012-12-09 12.29.54.jpg2012-12-09 12.30.34.jpg2012-12-09 12.31.23.jpg

wow! this mod looks amazing! how did you mac your special HDD LED?

wow! this mod looks amazing! how did you mac your special HDD LED?

Thanks. I cut the plastic using my CNC machine, and then glued an LED in the appropriate spot to pick up the features in the plastic.

Subscribed to this thread! :)
About to embark on my first G5 hack, and this one is extremely helpful.

Thank you!

I still couldn't boot unless in safe mode, until a very helpful soul pointed out an issue with 10.8.2's ACPI kext then.....:beachball:.......BOOM! I'm in full blown hack-attack-a-mac heaven.:thumbup:

Hi Sheriff,

I am having the same difficulty, and I have the same motherboard. Can you please elaborate on the issue and how you resolved it and perhaps I can resolve my ML issues too.

Thanks a bunch!

chaos

Hi Chaos,

sorry It took so long to get back to you. I have been on holidays over the Christmas period without internet (it's a lot more fun than it sounds :D)

To correct the kext problem, you need to download another copy of AppleACPIPlatform.kext. There is a version here http://www.osx86.net/view/2649-appleacpiplatform.kext.html but I can't verifiy if it works because I downloaded from somewhere else. Try this one and if it does not work then google for another version.

to replace the kext, the procedure is as follows:
1) download kext
2) download kextbeast from here http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com.au/2010/08/kextbeast-simple-kext-installer.html
3) boot your system into safe mode. if I remember correctly, this is done by pressing any key at the bootloader to enable boot option entry, and then entering "-x" (without the quotes) and pressing enter.
4) after boot, put the kext on the desktop
5) install/run kextbeast.

That should solve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back