Contribute
Register

Another G5 Case Mod, with some useful resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks sonicseamus, I edited my post as the D3H has 4 ram slots whereas the D3V only has 2, they are both the same price so I'll go for the D3H.

I'll do a search as you suggested.

There is an interesting alternative available in Australia GA-Z77MX-D3H-TH, which has dropped to $169. Audio codec is Realtek, with the 2 Thunderbolt ports, an Apple Tbolt LAN adapter is an option.

There is an interesting alternative available in Australia GA-Z77MX-D3H-TH, which has dropped to $169. Audio codec is Realtek, with the 2 Thunderbolt ports, an Apple Tbolt LAN adapter is an option.

That is definitely an interesting board, however, according to the Gigabyte website it sadly has unsupported VIA audio. The LAN chip (atheros) is compatible though, so if the Sheriff's ok with using a USB sound card, this board would be the way to go.

Thanks for the clarification, I must remember to wear my glasses when making recommendations.

Ok, so the back panel is now complete. I cut a surround for the IO shield and fitted it into place. Now on to the power supply.

2012-09-25 20.06.01.jpg2012-09-25 20.32.17.jpg

Very nice, I like the your way of precision and "respect" for the existing design of the case.
Only thing I ask myself, don't you think have to less room for the pci slots? With a big graphic card and wifi card everything is almost full..

Hi Pieter, you are right, only 4 slots. I have never used all 4 slots in any PC I've owned, so I think it will be ok.

I have completed the power supply. I got a 550w top fan unit, and mounted it in the existing housing:

2012-09-30 11.21.19_pcb.jpg2012-09-30 12.21.20.jpg2012-09-30 12.21.30.jpg

Really looking forward to seeing this build come together. That back panel looks fantastic. If only you could replicate the rounded bits at the top/bottom with the screw holes and just remake the entire back, would look even better. Sounds like a lot of work, though.

I have connected up the power button and led from the front panel. An important note to anyone trying my method, the apple power button/led combo pcb uses a common ground wire for both the led and switch. I am fortunate that my motherboard does the same, and indicates on the board which is ground (-) and which is not (+) for both the power button and led. There is no requirement for ATX motherboards to use a common ground, or to indicate which pin is ground (if any).

In my photo below, the white wire is ground, the green wire is the power button and the black wire is the power led. I originally got them the wrong way round so I had to swap the connectors on the cables over (Confucius say: Drinking beer makes hackintosh bearable, but does not make hackintosh beautiful.)
2012-10-10 14.57.12.jpg2012-10-10 15.02.45.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back