Contribute
Register

Another G5 Case Mod, with some useful resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really nice mod job ! Just wondering how difficult to cut and install the acrylic side panel?

Again sorry for the late replies, I don't visit this forum very often and life gets in the way. Regarding the acrylic back plate, it looks like someone is making money off of my design. The back plate is nowhere near as cool, but the acrylic motherboard mount looks to be identical:

http://www.thelaserhive.com/products/powermac-g5-conversion-products/motherboard-tray/

If you don't have the equipment (or know someone who has it) to cut the acrylic, you can buy one from the laser hive. While your there, give them a bit of a hard time for not giving credit on the design.:p

Again sorry for the late replies, I don't visit this forum very often and life gets in the way. Regarding the acrylic back plate, it looks like someone is making money off of my design. The back plate is nowhere near as cool, but the acrylic motherboard mount looks to be identical:

http://www.thelaserhive.com/products/powermac-g5-conversion-products/motherboard-tray/

If you don't have the equipment (or know someone who has it) to cut the acrylic, you can buy one from the laser hive. While your there, give them a bit of a hard time for not giving credit on the design.:p

The laser hive designs are all original and pre-date yours.
Check your facts before you post.

I'll step in and agree here with Minihack,

The Laser Hive has been making parts for a while now and longer then this thread started.
I know this for a fact as I was one of many that has chatted with The Laser Hive about parts and designs as well. Also to be honest there isn't that much of a design option to being drastically different when making parts for a G5 or Mac Pro. So then your going to see mobo trays that resemble other mobo trays and back plates that are or close to the same.

So for those who do order from Laser Hive do not give them a hard time, as they worked very hard in finding the right materials and designs for most of the Apple cases out there. They also are kind enough to do specific and custom work as well. Plus they are good people.

:) thanks for your time

I'll step in and agree here with Minihack,

The Laser Hive has been making parts for a while now and longer then this thread started.
I know this for a fact as I was one of many that has chatted with The Laser Hive about parts and designs as well. Also to be honest there isn't that much of a design option to being drastically different when making parts for a G5 or Mac Pro. So then your going to see mobo trays that resemble other mobo trays and back plates that are or close to the same.

So for those who do order from Laser Hive do not give them a hard time, as they worked very hard in finding the right materials and designs for most of the Apple cases out there. They also are kind enough to do specific and custom work as well. Plus they are good people.

:) thanks for your time

+1

I've finished the front panel, I blew all the components off the front panel PCB with an SMD rework tool and attached a USB and firewire lead that I got off of ebay to the pins on the connectors. Then I made up a small relay board to adapt the apple audio out to the standard intel HD audio front panel connector. It works a treat! I have attached my circuit diagram (more like a circuit sketch!) if anyone else wants to use it.View attachment 37043View attachment 37044View attachment 37045

Hi! (my first post)

I tried to make that dongle. but don't work :( (insert the jack make nothing)

littlle question about your scheme and pics

- is a mandatory remove all chips in the front panel? (resistences, capacitors, SMC, etc); I tried soldering wires in a front panel pin header and directly in the connector pin. no success
- in my city, the 2n7000 is out of stock, but have a equivalent BK31-BS170. this is valid?
- I have use a +5v/GND from a USB. this is OK?
- I merge all GND in one. need isolate a Audio GND (from jack to a mobo hda header)?

greetings

PS: sorry my english

This is about 12 months late, so sorry to everyone with questions, here goes:
jamba: I used 4.5mm acrylic sheet, which is thicker than the length of the apple stand-off so that I could screw it down.

Again, sorry people for being so slack, this year has been hectic. I mainly answered those questions for anyone who hits this thread on google. By the way, my original motherboard tray was off by about 1.5mm on the rear edge, which made it difficult to fit in the case, there is a better dxf attached: View attachment 74021

I am hopeful you will re-visit this forum ;)

This is a beautiful build! I was wondering about the holes on the motherboard tray, it appears that some of the holes have been counterbored, and how deep is the counterbore? Is the counterbore for the motherboard to acrylic connectors? If you look in the image, you can see a 4mm hole with a screw in it, which is what was re-used to screw the acrylic to the powermac... beside that is a hole that appears to be counterbored.

2012-09-11-21-07-45_plexi_tray_closeup-jpg.31319

Basically, I would like to know if the holes have any dimensions for countersinking or counterboring.

Thank you :)

i made mine in 2 days ripped everything out and motherboard is resting in a cardboard tray :) ductape its holding in by magic hahaha :) works grat did not break with moving so yay :)

Very nice !
i was looking into the LaserHive Mac Pro kits but that costs 90 pounds or so.... and it is ugly.
i will use some of these recourses to mod my 2008 Mac Pro Case myself

Last edited:
I remember this build. A job very well done indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back