Contribute
Register

Another G4 Power Mac Mod (Sandy Bridge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
´´I decided, like others, to keep the plastic latch/insulation board below the mobo and reversed the locking spring on the case. just the spring by itself resulted in to much tension for my taste, so i used a bend paperclip to extend it a bit...´´

- I´ve read that from several modders, what is this good for, the reversed spring? is it just the tension? in that case it would be easier to just bend the spring itself a little bit to get a lower tension..

- the big shuriken, I plan to get it too for my next QS build, so do you think the Skythe 120mm fan is ok for reverse direction, too..I mean not top blowing but sucking through the cooler ?

Hi Jamba,

if You reverse the locking mechanism you can go without the plastic latch but still keep the case locked tight. Sometimes, the plastic, being old and brittle, breaks when you take it out, then you´d have no way of opening the door if you don´t reverse the lock.
I kept it as insulation and because i wanted to re-use as many parts as i could + with a nice paint job it even looks nice.

I guess you could reverse the Shuriken, just keep in mind that, if you keep it blowing on the cooler, You will also benefit from some cooling for the RAM and Northbridge (depending on the MB you use). Then again it might be beneficial for airflow in the case if you reverse the Shuriken... Decisions, decisions...

Olli

if You reverse the locking mechanism you can go without the plastic latch but still keep the case locked tight.

Sometimes, the plastic, being old and brittle, breaks when you take it out, then you´d have no way of opening the door if you don´t reverse the lock.

Olli

but if the reversed spring mechanism keeps the door locked how will you open it without the latch as it interlocks the metal hooks with the plastic latches ?

from my understanding this basically are two mechanisms, the metal opening latch ( with spring) and the interlocking plastic hooks from the underlying plastic plate..
What sense makes the relocated spring here as it cant replace the opening mechanism?

The shuriken, yes I try to skip my psu so that its 140mm fan can be used for sucking air from the cpu, additional cooling is important here of course..

cheers

Sorry, i forgot to mention; You will have to cut those two big notches on the plastic tray. Once you reverse the lock, the spring will push the lever in the back to the outside, locking the door. So if You either want to open or close the door, You´ll have to push the lever on the back to do so. Also you can only move the handle on the door as long as the lever in the back is pushed.
I hope i´m making more sense to You this time :thumbup:

Olli

P.S.: If You like, i can take a picture of what my plastic latch looks like now.

Hello Olli73,

thank you for recommending Exsys ex-16450, I bought the card for using a Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 Interface, works OOB with
GA-Z77 DS3H and Core i5 3570K. I tested it with Logic 8 and a small Project ("Big Brother") using BFD 2, Kontakt 4, 2x Real Guitar and some PlugIns (about 25). Can use 32 Samples I/O Buffer with no crackles or Drop-Outs. Works fine under 10.8.5,
Best Regards

Kassia, Berlin

Hello Kassia,

thanks for the feedback! Since i only use my card for external HDDs and my iSight, i couldn´t say much about compatibility with, for example, audio gear. So, this card will work for musicians too. :thumbup:

Olli

Update Time!

Hi Forum, little update on my system. I put in another 60 GB SSD and put Mavericks on it. So now i can dual-boot 10.6.8 & 10.9.2 - well sort of... I have questions that may find answers here.

• The SSD with SL has boot priority, if i interupt Sl on the chimera boot-screen both systems show up, but if i choose Mavericks the gray apple boot-screen just flashes for a second and then the machine reboots. I have to use F12, choose the Mavericks SSD and i´m go.
How can i set the system that it stops at a chimera boot-screen, offering both SSDs and i choose which to boot, no F12?

• The other thing is, i now have proper sleep (somehow i never got it to work with SL), i can even use the power-button on my old Apple-keyboard. But when i wake my hack up, sound and USB3 are gone and sometimes i have to replug my keyboard. Any ideas to fix this?
I read some on other threads, some of it seems a bit dated, others a bit inconclusive...

Speed stepping seems to work, i checked with this app:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget-20

I find it more detailed then iStat & HW-Monitor.

Just say the word and i will post MBeast settings if anybody wants them.
That´s all for now,

Olli

As per Tonys post i reverted to ALC889 kext in MB 6.0.1 and now have audio after sleeping the hack.

BUT - i found i can only sleep the machine once or twice and then only the screen, GT210 and the HDD power down but the fans still spin and the power LED remains on (Until i re-boot or power down). I can reactivate normally via keyboard.

USB 3 ports on the front header will only see USB 3 devices after sleep. USB 2 ports behave normally.

I also noticed, if i use a stick in a USB 2 port und put a USB 3 stick into a USB 3 port, OSX crashes. But i think that is most likely a hardware problem.

Olli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back