Contribute
Register

Another ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm new here, and totally new to hackintoshing. Last time I made a build was a decade ago! I'll be documenting the build. Hopefully the info will be useful, and I could get some help if I run into trouble.

Currently on a late 2012 Mac Mini + Late 2013 MBP for work stuff. I've been dying, waiting to get on 4k@60hz displays. I even bought a 40" 4k Samsung TV in anticipation of using it as a monitor.

Enough waiting, and didn't want to spend $4k CAD on a new iMac. Though admittedly the just released 2017 iMacs have been making me reconsider, especially the ones with VESA mounts. Decently configured 21" 2017 iMacs still come out to $3k CAD though, and returning all this stuff would be a PITA, so I'm sticking with this build. Worst case I migrate to Windows 10 on the desktop

Goals:

- Dual 4k displays @60hz
- Bluetooth since I use the magick trackpad, and would like to use an Apple Watch if they release continuous glucose monitoring.
- Lots of RAM for Chrome
- IGPU for now, with ability to add in a high-end GPU if I decide to do VR stuff
- Ideally be able to update MacOS as painlessly as can be achieved.

Components:
- Asrock Fatal1ty z270 ITX
- Corsair SF450
- i5 7500
- Mushkin Redline PC4-2666 16gb x 2
- Samsung EVO 850 500GB
- Cougar QBX ITX case
- Samsung UHD TV UN40KU6290 HDMI 2.0
- LG 27UD69 UHD monitor
- WiFi Bluetooth Card BCM94360CS2 For MacBook Air 13'' A1465 A1466
- BCM94360CS2/BCM943224 12+6 Pin Wireless Card To NGFF

I just received the core components today!:
DBqzWwXXgAQH_0j.jpg:large

Any tips for a total noob would be more than welcome! Obviously I'm taking my time doing my own research, referencing others' guides, but would love some pointers.

Last edited:
I see no problem in your components. Though you didn't mention Thunderbolt capability, but anyway, this is currently the only itx tb3 mobo. I've so far read no confirm of fully working TB3 on this board, but USB2.0/3.0/3.1 does work.

1. for BT/WIFI get an adapter+BCM94360CS2, this will enable full features like continuity and handoff, also use your magic keyboard in BIOS and clover, but not magic trackpad.
2. HD630 won't let you wake from sleep, it will get a KP and timeout reboot, if you are okay with that. You could also just sleep the display instead of letting the system actually sleep.
3. hold on to the GPU since we might get native support of AMD cards in High Sierra, unless you are into high-end GPU and adobe softwares, then buying an GTX1080/1080ti isn't a bad idea.

that's what i could think of right now.

GhostHitWall thanks for your pointers!

Thunderbolt 3's not a big deal for me, because I don't anticipate requiring it. Especially since I can just plop a GPU into the PCI-E slot. It would be a nice to have though.

1. I can live with that :)
2. Mm that does suck. Any chance of it getting fixed? I could live with it though.
3. Yes I might get into VR development down the line, and need a RX580/vega :headbang:

So I'm waiting for my BT/WIFI card and case. In the meantime I decided to set up the machine and install Windows 10. The 4k@60Hz is *amazing* as I was temporarily using it @30hz with my MacBook pro.

On the other hand, I don't think I can live with Windows 10. The font rendering is horrendous and strains my eyes. There goes my backup plan of using windows 10. The hackintosh has to work.

33965A70-F7B1-4C4A-BF8E-401A0B16FE99.JPG

i think the HD530/630 no wake issue has been around since skylake desktop hit the market in 2015.
so, likely we won't have a fix for that. The new kabylake model refresh all use iris pro/plus. I am going to say HD graphics will not be involved.

good luck with your build tho, i personally have a z97 and h270 platform being used everyday and both dual boot 10.12 and win10. So far, for my flow, there's no issue since completion of setup.
4k@60hz with a good panel really is amazing.

Thanks GhostHitWall

I'm still waiting for the wifi/bt from China.

In the meantime I'm trying to get the dual monitor working on windows, and am having a lot of trouble getting the Samsung TV to work through HDMI. I'm getting "no signal" for both the POST, and Win10. I very occasionally can get the TV to work through some resetting/ unplugging, but rarely & unreliably.

The only way I could reliably get the TV to work is by plugging in a 1080p monitor into HDMI, unplugging that, and then plugging in the TV through HDMI. The TV works flawlessly with my macbook pro.

It seems that there is some HDMI handshaking issue between the TV and the HD630 on the ASRock. I'm not sure where the issue lies. I've been reinstalling/updating drivers on both ends to no avail.

My LG 27ud68 4k display arrived, and works through both HDMI & DP. :(

I'm gonna try it on MacOS. Also ordered an active DP -> HDMI 2 adapter to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back