Contribute
Register

Announcement: AMD Based Systems and tonymacx86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the guides say to disable virtualisation anyway and AMD also supports virtualisation, so is that really an issue?
Not Vt-x virtualization, only Vt-d, which is pasing PCIe devices through to the virtual machine. But I have it enabled and it does not seem to cause any problems.
The question is, if it is really supported by macOS.

Any application that use VT-D wont work. VT-D is Intel proprietary.
Docker (GUI) for start.
It is not Vt-d, it is the Apple Hypervisor Framework, which is needed, but does not run on Ryzen.
I have found this post on Github: https://github.com/moby/hyperkit/issues/230

Last edited:
I have to wonder if Apple moving to ARM CPUs might actually facilitate more apps running without issues on Ryzentosh. Reason why I say this is because ARM forces developers not to rely on Intel specific features.

They will just replace the Intel specific stuff with ARM specific stuff, so no help for AMD hacks.

But in the meantime they still need to continue supporting Intel as well, so developers have to walk a fine line between using ARM-specific extensions vs. keeping the code fairly platform neutral...at least for the next few years. On the other hand, if a developer (like Adobe) is currently leveraging Intel-only APIs, I can see them abandoning them in favor of more platform neutral methods. I could be completely off base, but the less Intel-specific code there is, the better...no?

But in the meantime they still need to continue supporting Intel as well, so developers have to walk a fine line between using ARM-specific extensions vs. keeping the code fairly platform neutral...at least for the next few years. On the other hand, if a developer (like Adobe) is currently leveraging Intel-only APIs, I can see them abandoning them in favor of more platform neutral methods. I could be completely off base, but the less Intel-specific code there is, the better...no?
Intel specific optimizations are still possible. The Universal Binary contains Intel and ARM machine code.

You will definitely have a good 10 years, the x86 support will not be discontinued that soon.

Plenty of time left for us. At least another 6-7+ years.
If you look at the the transition from PowerPC to Intel it was about 4 years before PowerPC code was dropped from the OS from Tiger in 2004 throughSnow Leopard in 2009. The last machines that could run Leopard came out in late 2005 - The last PowerMacG5 and they had 3 years of OS support after Leopard came out. If we use that as a timeline with the annual release of the OS on a yearly basis, we'll probably see at least 3-4 more releases of the OS that will support the last Intel machines over the next 3-4 years. But with a 2-3 year transition the last Intel machines will come out in roughly 2022/2023, but should see support till 2026 for the OS.

What is going to be interesting though is what will happen to the new MacPro? If the new "low end" machines are beating the pants off of the iMac Pro right now? What will the future "high end" machines do? I could for-see pros buying the chassis for a certain spec and as new MacPros coming out an option to send the machine in for an upgraded board or a trade-in program. This would all be similar to what Apple did in the days of the first Macs. Quite a few 128Ks were turned into "Fat Macs" - the 512K Mac.

Big Sur is huge 12.5 GB because it can be installed on Apple silicon chips and intel CPU , probably next one will be only Apple chip CPU. what do you think???

The first version of MacOS that doesn't support intel is years and years away. Remember, apple is still selling intel computers today, and likely will be for another two years. They won't abandon support for those for a few years after that (at minimum). And after that, they'll likely continue providing security updates for macOS previous versions for a few years - as they do now.

I believe apple still providing security updates for High Sierra, which was released in fall 2017. I'm running Mojave now with no serious concerns it'll be dropped before 2021 at the earliest.

(You didn't ask but if you're talking mostly about the size of the software downloads, it's possible apple will start 'customizing' downloads by splitting apple silicon from intel in some cases)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back