Contribute
Register

Announcement: AMD Based Systems and tonymacx86

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the disadvantages of a Ryzentosh?
Maybe I am interested in building an AMD system.

What are the disadvantages of a Ryzentosh?
Maybe I am interested in building an AMD system.
Any application that use VT-D wont work. VT-D is Intel proprietary.
Docker (GUI) for start.

Docker (GUI) for start.
Most of the guides say to disable virtualisation anyway and AMD also supports virtualisation, so is that really an issue?

The main problem with building an AMD hack is that most Adobe programs still have problems or won't run at all. There are additional fixes/patches to get over this but the latest Photoshop, for instance, still won't run. Camera stabilisation in After Effects is also hit and miss at the moment but Adobe seems to be slowly removing the Intel specific code from the macOS versions of their products.

So if you are not reliant on Adobe products you will probably be ok with a Ryzen hack.

Docker (GUI) for start.
Does macOS support Vt-d?
AMD has AMD-Vi, why should that not work, if Vt-d does?
If I could pass through the Radeon to the Windows VM, that would be great. No need to dual boot then.

Last edited:
The main problem with building an AMD hack is that most Adobe programs still have problems or won't run at all. There are additional fixes/patches to get over this but the latest Photoshop, for instance, still won't run. Camera stabilisation in After Effects is also hit and miss at the moment but Adobe seems to be slowly removing the Intel specific code from the macOS versions of their products.

So if you are not reliant on Adobe products you will probably be ok with a Ryzen hack.
Thanks for the information. I am not using Adobe software.

The latest Adobe patches now allows Photoshop 2021 etc to run. The only issues I have seen are Liquify and Neural Filters don't work - which is no big issue for me as I don't use those.

Anyone running Topaz apps, e.g Denoie AI, Sharpen AI etc, the Adobe patches work for those apps as well. Just change the path from Adobe* to Topaz*.

Most of the guides say to disable virtualisation anyway and AMD also supports virtualisation, so is that really an issue?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 08.48.00.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 08.48.00.png
    246.5 KB · Views: 191
Do you have AMD-V activated?
Does VMware or Virtualbox work?
Docker is crap anyway. It consumes 15% CPU for doing nothing.

Last edited:
I have to wonder if Apple moving to ARM CPUs might actually facilitate more apps running without issues on Ryzentosh. Reason why I say this is because ARM forces developers not to rely on Intel specific features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back