Contribute
Register

Announcement: AMD Based Systems and tonymacx86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news to get support in multiple places.
I already have my Ryzen 5 3600, Gigiabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi, RX580, 32Gb ram running Catalina and Big Sur on opencore for a while now. Rock solid.
B8F72450-F40B-4158-A8B6-E5C02CD8265E.jpeg

Again, that's not "linux" detection, that's just showing grub in the menu, unlike clover that has hardcoded paths that it looks for, OpenCore does not have any hardcoded paths to look for but it checks the firmware and other partition information to get boot entries (like macOS boot.efi, and for windows, it assumes bootx64 that is found in your EFI drive as a windows system, like a real mac would do). For me, I'm literally running the kernel directly without any need for another bootloader like grub/systemd-boot, since most linux kernels support EFISTUB and can be ran as an EFI application.
Using the example from my Z490 Vision D, the issue with OpenCore is as follows:
  • If the boot files (BOOTX64.efi, GRUBX64.efi, etc.) for macOS, Windows, and Linux are on three separate EFI partitions, OpenCore will detect each one automatically and present them in the Picker. In this case each operating system is completely isolated from the rest.
  • However, when Windows is already installed and we subsequently install Linux (even to a separate SSD), many Linux distros will combine the Linux and Windows boot files together into the same EFI folder.
Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 5.07.37 AM.png

• This might appear to be an invalid configuration, but in fact it is perfectly valid.
  • Modern UEFI BIOSes (firmware) recognize this configuration and present both (a) Windows and (b) Linux boot options as we can see:
200914115159.jpg

• So:
    • UEFI BIOS interprets this correctly and shows both boot options.
    • Clover interprets this correctly and shows both boot options.
    • OpenCore does not interpret this correctly and shows only the Windows option.
I don't think OpenCore will change in that regard, it will just check for boot entries like a mac would do (that's the behavior acidanthera is going for), so for it to detect Linux like Clover do will most likely never happen, if you want you can just copy grubx64 binary to boot folder and rename it to bootx64, and it will do the job, or add the entry manually which is not wrong either. Check Misc section of OpenCore documentation (Dortania's html documentation conversion from pdf for webviewing).
In order for OpenCore to be UEFI-compliant or at least consistent with prevailing UEFI norms, it needs to handle this case because both Linux and Windows add their boot loaders into the first EFI partition they find (by default). So a single computer with multiple operating systems will have one EFI partition with multiple sub-directories -- one for each of the OSes.

OpenCore is following Apple's "bless" model for macOS volumes, which is nice. But it should not stop there.

It is not right to ask users to add complex entries in Misc --> Entry because that is the job of the boot loader. When UEFI BIOS and Clover can both detect this case (i.e. multiple boot loaders in a single EFI folder), it certainly points to a missing capability in OpenCore.

spacebar preview!
It is even faster in playing sounds :)

But I think you are right, let's stop at this point and return to the topic.

Speaking as someone who built a Ryzen 3900 XT system just last month, on OpenCore for the first time, I can heartily recommend OpenCore.

However I am now back on an Intel i7 10700 build instead. The Ryzen was super-fast and all that, but the lack of virtualisation apps (except Virtualbox), some unexplained weirdness with XCode no Android EMulator (see virtualisation) and the failure of most Adobe Creative Studio apps to even launch ended it for me.

That said - the AMD announcement is great news from www.tonymacx86.com

Speaking as someone who built a Ryzen 3900 XT system just last month, on OpenCore for the first time, I can heartily recommend OpenCore.

However I am now back on an Intel i7 10700 build instead. The Ryzen was super-fast and all that, but the lack of virtualisation apps (except Virtualbox), some unexplained weirdness with XCode no Android EMulator (see virtualisation) and the failure of most Adobe Creative Studio apps to even launch ended it for me.

That said - the AMD announcement is great news from www.tonymacx86.com
Shanee does have some patches for Adobe and other apps. They are also working on performance issues.
I have noticed that my 3900x acts different than the lower core Ryzen chips. The 3600 gets recognized as an Intel i5 where the 3900 is unknown.

Because there is no Intel CPU with 12 core, I think.
It’s nice to know that shanee works on it!
And, yes, it’s problematic for Sndroid emulator but, I’ll use Windows for that.

I didn't find it any different creating the Ryzen bootloader than the Intel one. In fact IIRC, I accidentally booted the Intel install from the SSD that was previously used for the Ryzen board - it worked for both CPUs.

Since then I've tuned the Intel install and removed a couple of surplus kexts of course, but I can't remember there being any differences in the process of creating the AMD or Intel EFI structure - just the details, as you'd expect going from one architecture to another.

The OpenCore docs are amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back