Contribute
Register

Announcement: AMD Based Systems and tonymacx86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing that we already have $300 TH3 docks, how high will the prices go for new TH4 docks ? Intel gets paid by the manufacturers of these too. Just to have the tiny lightning bolt symbol that shows it's superior.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YLMJZXB/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
That link is a particularly germane example because I paid $235.65 on February 25. If Thunderbolt 3 were truly royalty-free the price would be going down, not up.

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 4.10.30 PM.png

Seems Thunderbolt 4 is being marketed as a high-end implementation of USB4. Something like a BMW with standard features versus fully loaded.

yes, IMO thunderbolt 3 is for pro, it's useless for a casual user and too pricey.

One advantage: it's an USB-C for all, but it's a little messy when we look at different USB declinations

yes, IMO thunderbolt 3 is for pro, it's useless for a casual user and too pricey.

One advantage: it's an USB-C for all, but it's a little messy when we look at different USB declinations
I disagree on the useless for a casual user.

I have a TB3 external multi-disk enclosure for my Mac mini. The mini is my music server so performance for streaming hi-res music is critical. That is why I went TB3 instead of USB3.

It depends if you use USB 3.1 gen 1 or 2
I’m joking, I’m joking, but USB is really messy now...

and I was wondering something, if we can have patch for amd cpu, what about Nvidia gpu ?
Do you think it could be possible ?
It’s just a question !

performance for streaming hi-res music is critical. That is why I went TB3 instead of USB3.

Geez....how hi-res is your music? What are we talking about 192khz 32bit float Dolby ATMOS multichannel wav files? Even for that USB 3 would have been plenty fast.

and I was wondering something, if we can have patch for amd cpu, what about Nvidia gpu ?
It’s just a question !
WRONG. Now people use USB 3.2 Gen 1 or 2 or 2x2...

It’s just a question !
AMD patches use existing Intel Kexts. The problem with Nvidia is the architecture is not similar anymore to the existing Nvidia Kexts in MacOS. Its up to Nvidia to create new web drivers but they don’t seem interested as Mac users are a small portion of their users.

There is a x570-i Build on amd os x with usb mapping with functional sleep ;)

I’m waiting for my formD T1 and I wonder if I shouldn’t take this motherboard again...
i have some issues with the b550-i like the Ethernet (it doesn’t work)

Ethernet works. Bluetooth works oob if you update drivers from Asus site on windows. Open Hackintool and export pcie info and open pciedevides.json. you have to find ethernet and Pci path. It is much longer than other motherboards have. Then I followed CaseySJ's guide: Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400, refer to post #361. I patched same but the path. I left some of the kexts like intelmausiethernet, fakepciid intel i225 and fakepciid. I don't know if they have anything to do.

Geez....how hi-res is your music? What are we talking about 192khz 32bit float Dolby ATMOS multichannel wav files? Even for that USB 3 would have been plenty fast.
I have almost 2TB of 2-channel music which is all uncompressed on a SSD in the TB3 enclosure. The files range from redbook 16/44.1 to 24/192 AIFF and a couple thousand of DSD tracks.

I have almost 2TB of 2-channel music which is all uncompressed on a SSD in the TB3 enclosure. The files range from redbook 16/44.1 to 24/192 AIFF and a couple thousand of DSD tracks.
I was able to rip all of my physical SACDs via an Oppo Blu Ray player using:
  • Autoscript (on USB flash disk to boot Oppo player)
  • sacd_extract (on Windows or Mac to remotely connect to Oppo over Ethernet)
  • Trax for Mac to fix album names, cover art, and other meta data for ISO and DSF files
I had no idea my older Oppo universal player could do that!

I use Audirvana on Mac to play the entire music collection.

Link for Autoscript/sacd_extract PDF file (with download links and instructions).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back