Contribute
Register

Announcement: AMD Based Systems and tonymacx86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I didn’t want to hurt you.
When I read your message, I thought you said it doesn’t work.
I’m used to read this And I read too fast I think

don’t worry. It’s my fault :).

adobe apps work but if you don’t use plugins I think, I had very few crash but indeed, it can be annoying.
Affinity apps work far better
And Xcode works like a charm too (just a problem with AW simulator I think)
Blender is excellent
Wifi/by/continuity etc

the real problem on amd is the virtualization...
And you can’t use istat for example

But when I see comments from gogeta-blue

They are angry that Nvidia did not want to play nice with Apple and so they do not play anymore. They also think that everything they do not like about Apple's path is something Cook Cooked up to make them angry. Just ignore them most everyone else does. Midphase on the other hand only was pointing out that AMD Hack is a hack of a Hack.

So just like Intel, AMD days are numbered.
I am so happy that I meanwhile found nearby a Windows replacement for all my Mac Applications.

In just a month or two I have gone from preferentially booting to MacOS to Windows
Same here, I forced my self, it felt first like self-punishment. But after a time working with windows macOS dosen't feel that good anymore. The Windows GUI is faster, but looks less polished, and there are glitches in dark mode :)
Looks like it is a matter of preference, fast vs better looking.

One really great thing about windows is its native supported Scaling. I use a 49" Samsung curved display, which is not supported by macOS without hacking. So there is no scaling available .... Switching resolutions looks odd.
Under Windows however I can just switch it to 150 % and most things just look great and are useable / readable :)

I keep my Hackintosh and keep using it for Web Developement but I don't see any reason to update it anymore since anything I need works. But with the fast update cycles of apps even my Webdev stuff might nologer gets updateable anytime soon. Then I will recosider updating or simply switch my webdev stuff to ubuntu or even Windows with WSL2 if any issues has been fixed.

Another scenario would be that I buy a Apple Silicoin Mac if they offer a cool, high performance Mac.
But looking at Apple s history that is rather unlikely.

Last edited:
Nice! Now maybe my profile info with AMD stuff won't be removed
All good. The only problem you've got is that your 2070 has no macOS support so you'll need a supported AMD card or some of the older Kepler Nvidia cards will still work. They are very old but can be a short term place holder. I've posted a Nvidia desktop graphics guide you can read in Desktop Comptability on this topic.

All good. The only problem you've got is that your 2070 has no macOS support so you'll need a supported AMD card or some of the older Kepler Nvidia cards will still work. They are very old but can be a short term place holder. I've posted a Nvidia desktop graphics guide you can read in Desktop Comptability on this topic.
Thank you!!!
Yes I know... But for the moment it's more a gaming setup, so maybe later I will change to something that supports macOS ;)

later I will change to something that supports macOS
Great. We are very happy AMD is competing with Intel and Nvidia so that the latter two companies don't hold a monopoly in the desktop hardware market. It's much better for everyone that there is competition.

The Windows GUI is faster, but looks less polished, and there are glitches in dark mode :)
Looks like it is a matter of preference, fast vs better looking.

This is interesting, and certainly a point of contention when I get into some heated exchange on a Mac vs. PC thread. For my own personal creative needs, esthetics matter and they matter enough that I've been making my professional life a lot more complicated by running a Hackintosh and doing without Nvidia GPU's in a field where I am an outlier as an OSX user (i.e. Video, VFX and CG).

I think a good analogy for an OS is one's work environment -- I want to make sure that the physical place where I do my work has an esthetic that is conducive to my creative output. Could I work in a drab office and get stuff done? Sure, but it would affect my work and ultimately my output. Conversely, a nicely decorated workspace with good mood lighting, a comfy chair and well designed ergonomics gets me in the right creative mood which in turn makes me want to produce more.

I understand that not everyone has such esthetic concerns as me, but it's definitely what keeps me wanting to stay in OSX.

There are of course some more practical matters in addition to esthetics, but I don't want to turn this into a Mac vs. PC thread.

@Midphase,

I agree wholeheartedly even though I spend a fair bit of time in Windows (office work). The Mac environment is not only more polished, but:
  • Apple removes legacy bits and pieces to keep the OS coherent. Windows still has the old Control Panel, for example, and the new one. Legacy bits and pieces are still scattered throughout Windows mostly because the corporate world (IT departments) demands status-quo. They don't like change because of the disruption it causes. Apple, however, forces people to change, which I absolutely admire!
  • macOS is so well integrated with iOS, AppleTV, and Apple Watch ecosystems. I just purchased something on Safari while paying with my Apple Watch. And instead of using my Epson Printer/Scanner to scan documents, I use Continuity Camera to scan documents directly into macOS from my iPhone. Handoff, AirDrop, Continuity Camera, Sidecar, and even iCloud are seamlessly baked into macOS. Almost nothing in macOS seems like a Frankenstein after-thought.
  • I prefer an operating system that stays modern and is willing to jettison the past. Witness the total elimination of 32-bit apps on Catalina. Yes it can affect users, but it forces the entire industry to move forward or stagnate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back