Contribute
Register

Announcement: AMD Based Systems and tonymacx86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good call...I'd been looking to see if you guys were going to add AMD to the list. I think now is a good time considering the number of new graphics chips and boards coming. For instance Gigabyte has a B550 Vision D board that has just been certified for Thunderbolt 3 (it uses Titan Ridge). It comes with 2x PCI-E 4.0 slots, 1x PCI-E 3.0 slots, 2xM.2 slots, Intel WiFi 6, multi-graphics support and uses DDR4 RAM. That would make a good system candidate I think.

Other than that, it's just been announced AMD is also going to be releasing new gen-3 Ryzen chips this October 8th, so we have lots of new choices.

Cool, I will update my signature, actually I have a Ryzentosh with my super powerful Ryzen9 3950X, it is so cool that we can share information here already...

I have a triple boot using clover, OSX, Win10 and Linux. Does OC support 3 booting options ?? Is OC visually like Clover or more like Grub ??
OpenCore boots macOS and Windows, but not Linux at this time. Yet another reason for the leading zero in its version number — OC is not yet feature complete. But it is coming along incredibly well.

Good call...I'd been looking to see if you guys were going to add AMD to the list. I think now is a good time considering the number of new graphics chips and boards coming. For instance Gigabyte has a B550 Vision D board that has just been certified for Thunderbolt 3 (it uses Titan Ridge). It comes with 2x PCI-E 4.0 slots, 1x PCI-E 3.0 slots, 2xM.2 slots, Intel WiFi 6, multi-graphics support and uses DDR4 RAM. That would make a good system candidate I think.

Other than that, it's just been announced AMD is also going to be releasing new gen-3 Ryzen chips this October 8th, so we have lots of new choices.
Given the disdain I have for ASRock’s poorly written ACPI, the Gigabyte B550 Vision D is looking very tempting.

Also wondering if Zen 3 will be accompanied by new chipsets — X670 and B650?? If so, will they be manufactured on 7nm as well so board vendors can finally eliminate those noisy chipset fans?

This has thrown the cat amongst the pigeons, for me!
I was ready to build my first Intel PC Hackintosh (I have had success on Laptops until now) when this dropped.
The question for me is do I build an OC AMD Ryzen based Hack PC for use with FCP X and Photos, or should I stick with Intel to remain glitch free?

This has thrown the cat amongst the pigeons, for me!
I was ready to build my first Intel PC Hackintosh (I have had success on Laptops until now) when this dropped.
The question for me is do I build an OC AMD Ryzen based Hack PC for use with FCP X and Photos, or should I stick with Intel to remain glitch free?
Some of my observations:
GeekBench 5 scores on ASRock X570 Taichi with Ryzen 9 3900X (12 cores, 24 threads):
Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 11.05.36 AM.png

Some of my observations:
GeekBench 5 scores on ASRock X570 Taichi with Ryzen 9 3900X (12 cores, 24 threads):

I read both of them but, as matter of fact, we've learned in all these years that benchmarks might be misleading, even in the Intel's hack world, because even if we can come close to a real Mac we cannot have the same components it has, i.e. Apple T2 is a big example of what I mean with this. BT5 and Intel Wi-FI is another.

FXCP's difficult compatibility or poor performance experiences with Adobe CC are another sign of this. It's not easy to have a machine that performances truly well despite its benchmarks.

For now I'm still happy of my rig but if I upgraded it in this period, probably I'd still go with i9-10900K and an RX5700XT as GPU. My taste is still with Intel and I'd like to find out a motherboard that gives me the chance to have Thunderbolt ports and a 10Gbe NIC both fully working at the same time. Then if Apple will support the upcoming NAVI RDNA 2 this would be optimal, at least for 2/3 years from now.

Some of my observations:
View attachment 487642
Thanks for the observations and heads up... I guess I will hang back for a month and keep reading here before dipping my toe in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back