5. iMac
  6. LC
  7. Performa
  8. Power Mac
  9. PowerBook
  10. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Plenty of time left for us. At least another 6-7+ years.
If you look at the the transition from PowerPC to Intel it was about 4 years before PowerPC code was dropped from the OS from Tiger in 2004 throughSnow Leopard in 2009. The last machines that could run Leopard came out in late 2005 - The last PowerMacG5 and they had 3 years of OS support after Leopard came out. If we use that as a timeline with the annual release of the OS on a yearly basis, we'll probably see at least 3-4 more releases of the OS that will support the last Intel machines over the next 3-4 years. But with a 2-3 year transition the last Intel machines will come out in roughly 2022/2023, but should see support till 2026 for the OS.

What is going to be interesting though is what will happen to the new MacPro? If the new "low end" machines are beating the pants off of the iMac Pro right now? What will the future "high end" machines do? I could for-see pros buying the chassis for a certain spec and as new MacPros coming out an option to send the machine in for an upgraded board or a trade-in program. This would all be similar to what Apple did in the days of the first Macs. Quite a few 128Ks were turned into "Fat Macs" - the 512K Mac.

Motherboard
gaz150 ud3h and Ga z490ud ac
CPU
Skylake i7, comet lake i7
Graphics
Vega 56 8gb rx580. 8gb
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Apple will soon get rid of AMD GPU’s.
Then they will make their own GPU.
Just the same way, Apple got rid of Nvidia and Intel

AMD is the next one on tim hit list.
Yes, Apple will use AMD for now until AMD is no longer need it.

Once Apple make the transition to their so called Apple Silicon.

Most likely they will begin GPU development

So just like Intel, AMD days are numbered.
osBig Sur is perhaps the last intel based OS next will be Apple silicon based and amd gpu, down the road amd also be kicked out when apple makes its own cpu+gpu chips

Motherboard
GA-Z87MX-D3H
CPU
i5-4670K
Graphics
HD4600
Big Sur is huge 12.5 GB because it can be installed on Apple silicon chips and intel CPU , probably next one will be only Apple chip CPU. what do you think???

The first version of MacOS that doesn't support intel is years and years away. Remember, apple is still selling intel computers today, and likely will be for another two years. They won't abandon support for those for a few years after that (at minimum). And after that, they'll likely continue providing security updates for macOS previous versions for a few years - as they do now.

I believe apple still providing security updates for High Sierra, which was released in fall 2017. I'm running Mojave now with no serious concerns it'll be dropped before 2021 at the earliest.

(You didn't ask but if you're talking mostly about the size of the software downloads, it's possible apple will start 'customizing' downloads by splitting apple silicon from intel in some cases)

Motherboard
Lenovo Yoga C740
CPU
i7-10510U
Graphics
Intel UHD Graphics
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Looking at the reactions from the press on the first Apple Silicon Macs I think many people will just not buy an Intel-based Mac right now before Apple reveals more interessting models which may deliver even better performance. At the end it will be economically irresponsible to continue to deal with Intel machines, just because they won't sell anymore. My impression is, the just re-invented the Mac, Intel does not matter in the Apple universe anymore.

Motherboard
MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC
CPU
Ryzen 3900X
Graphics
RX 5700XT
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Maybe the "build signature" part of users profiles need a little TLC ;)
Update with AMD-related hardware options
I searched these 26 pages first to make sure someone had mentioned this (I just barely went to update my signatures, but found I could not). Thanks!

Motherboard
Gigabyte B550 Vision D
CPU
Ryzen 9 3950X
Graphics
RX 5700XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I searched these 26 pages first to make sure someone had mentioned this (I just barely went to update my signatures, but found I could not). Thanks!
I think the "build signature" section needs a re-write, as there are many GPUs, CPUs, and chipsets that aren't allowed to be added.

P1LGRIM

Motherboard
Lenovo ThinkStation p700
CPU
2 X Xeon E5-2620 V3
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I think the "build signature" section needs a re-write, as there are many GPUs, CPUs, and chipsets that aren't allowed to be added.

Motherboard
Asus Prime X570 Pro
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900X
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Motherboard
Gigabyte B550 Vision D
CPU
Ryzen 5900X
Graphics
RX 6800
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It seems I may have achieved another successful install today - it looks like the Ridge Raven 2 chipset also works with High Sierra! This was my VCS earlier today, which has an AMD APU. I was half expecting it to NOT work since the official driver support were only found in Mojave 10.14.6...

Screen Shot 2021-02-05B.png