Contribute
Register

Announcement: AMD Based Systems and tonymacx86

Status
Not open for further replies.
USB and Thunderbolt is a fascinating area when talking AMD Ryzen and the chipsets, and how it is implemented.

In theory Thunderbolt is a joint development effort by many companies so I guess they can all use the technology. For USB there are set standards no-one owns but are agreed and developed in a similar way.

BUT Thunderbolt doesn't seem to be separated from Intel - yet. Have I missed a step here? Are there third-party TB3 chipsets like there are USB3 (ASMedia, NEC, Renesas, Fresco Logic etc.) ??

:)

I am not sure AMD was part of the Effort to create TB it was an Intel/Apple thing. So I would guess AMD is paying some kind of Licensing fee to use it, they are also using Titan Ridge TB3 chips so no it is not like USB3 where many vendors make the chips used.

I am not sure AMD was part of the Effort to create TB it was an Intel/Apple thing. So I would guess AMD is paying some kind of Licensing fee to use it, they are also using Titan Ridge TB3 chips so no it is not like USB3 where many vendors make the chips used.

You are correct, though as I understand it Intel developed TB alone then released the Thunderbolt spec "royalty free" to get it more widely adopted. Apple was one of those so I'm sure their respective Techs spoke to each other. So has AMD developed a chip of their own or do they buy in Intel's?

The merging with USB4 is still confusing to me because USB-IF (Implementers Forum) consists of a list of companies. Maybe it just piggy-backs?

Last edited:
So I would guess AMD is paying some kind of Licensing fee to use it, they are also using Titan Ridge TB3 chips so no it is not like USB3 where many vendors make the chips used.
From the Intel Newsroom... March 2019

What’s New:
Intel is well on its way to making the innovation delivered with Thunderbolt™ 3 available to everyone. Today, Intel announced that it contributed the Intel Thunderbolt protocol specification to the USB Promoter Group, enabling other chip makers to build Thunderbolt compatible silicon, royalty-free. In addition, the USB Promoter Group announced the pending release of the USB4 specification, based on the Thunderbolt protocol. The convergence of the underlying Thunderbolt and USB protocols will increase compatibility among USB Type-C connector-based products, simplifying how people connect their devices.

So why does it work on windows ?

So why does it work on windows ?

Because Windows runs on the intel platform? Just because apple helps develop something does not mean it is restricted only to Apple. While Firewire was not hugely mainstream it worked in windows also but was developed by Apple.

The Ryzen platforms is lower expensive but do not the best than Intel platforms. I do not agree we can read around the net with this matter

I understand that not everyone has such esthetic concerns as me, but it's definitely what keeps me wanting to stay in OSX.

Even if not everyone is worried about esthetics it is a fact that better esthetics will make you at ease in your space and allow you to create and work more effectively. Esthetics and the ergonomic office are to the betterment of all.

The Ryzen platforms is lower expensive but do not the best than Intel platforms. I do not agree we can read around the net with this matter
Lol...
Can you give some examples please ?

You can disagree with all stuff on the net on Ryzen but I don’t know what you need to understand that is the truth...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back