Contribute
Register

An indication of what Apple thinks about Intel based Macs today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder what Apple would offer for my Early 2005 2.7 GHz dual-CPU liquid-cooled PPC G5... !! ("Enclose it in amber and we'll display it in the Steve Jobs theater lobby!")

I just watched the following video and, to me, it's a clear indication of how Apple views Intel based Macs now.

I think it's rather an indication of how Apple views products they've sold 3 years ago, whatever they are... :mrgreen: And it's been like that for decades, unfortunately. They absolutely don't care about old users, only new ones. I've always wondered how long this business model would last, but until now it works so why would they change? :rolleyes:

I think it's rather an indication of how Apple views products they've sold 3 years ago, whatever they are... :mrgreen: And it's been like that for decades, unfortunately. They absolutely don't care about old users, only new ones. I've always wondered how long this business model would last, but until now it works so why would they change? :rolleyes:

I think the trade in values for Intel based Macs were much higher before the introduction of Apple Silicon Macs. The guy in the video said he'd previously gotten over $1000 the last time he did a trade in.

And Apple does not charge any fee for recycling. How generous.

The only places that I am aware of where I can drop off a Power Mac G5 for recycling are (1) the Apple Store or (2) Best Buy. Neither will pay anything for taking the e-waste. My nearest Apple Store is about 2 miles away and my nearest Best Buy is about 4 miles away. Since I no longer own a car, lugging around a 40lbs behemoth is no fun and the extra 2 miles makes a huge difference.

At this point, those old Power Mac G5s are worthless. A Raspberry Pi 4 will probably run circles around them.

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 7.40.33 AM.png

Not to modders that want to put their hackintosh hardware into a G5 case.

That's about the only thing they are good for at this point. For those people, they are quite readily available for next to nothing on eBay now. Shipping is probably the biggest concern due to the size, weight, and cost...

Personally, I was never a huge fan of this case design. I liked the "El Capitan" cases much more. I found them to be gorgeous and the size and weight was much more manageable and the toolless flip down panel was brilliant.

1*oz0QxfmA-9vgm6_z-5VpZQ.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back