Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

In Big Sur AppleTV, Netflix in Safari doesn't work anymore. Using Z77X-UD5H, see signature.

I have the latest WE and Lilu Version installed. In Catalina it worked. VDADecoder says: fully supported.

Is this still a Big Sur problem?

In Big Sur AppleTV, Netflix in Safari doesn't work anymore.

@madman1234,

It is well reported on this and other forums that DRM is not working in Big Sur at the moment on any Hackintosh.

Apple have massively updated the DRM security layer in Big Sur which has yet to be fully reverse engineered and understood but the Lilu and WhatEverGreen developer's are looking into it, and once the changes are fully understood we may get a future release of Lilu + WEG that will resolve the issue.

Cheers
Jay

@madman1234,

It is well reported on this and other forums that DRM is not working in Big Sur at the moment on any Hackintosh.
This is incorrect, FairPlay may not be working DRM works fine under iMac Pro 1,1 SM in safari, chrome, and Apple TV app.

Thinking about updating to WhatEverGreen.
Installing WhatEverGreen should take care of renaming all of the required device identities in the ACPI tables for us so if you have any of the following Clover ACPI Fixes/Renames in your config.plist you should remove or disable them:-
  • Change/Rename GFX0 to IGPU
  • Change/Rename PEG0 to GFX0
  • Change/Rename HECI to IMEI
I have these 3 ACPI renames:
Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 10.21.56 AM.png

I understand I need to get rid of the GFX0 to IGPU and HECI to IMEI, but what about PEGP? I don't think it's the same as PEG0 so I wanted to make sure before I moved forward.

what about PEGP? I don't think it's the same as PEG0 so I wanted to make sure before I moved forward.

@Realyungsun,

WEG takes care of all GPU related ACPI renames so there should be no need to include them in the config.plist, if your not sure then just disable the rename in the config.plist and after booting with WEG check your ioreg, search for PEGP .. if WEG has done it work correctly then it should not exist where as GFX0 should.

Cheers
Jay

I am having an issue with any version of WEG newer than 1.3.4.

My system has been running well, but I decided to download the most current version of Unibeast for High Sierra 10.13.6, create a USB installer, and use some of the drivers and kexts in my existing EFI partition. The system was still stable, everything worked (USB, video, audio, internal WiFi, etc.) However, after a couple of days I discovered that nothing related to the iTunes Store or Mac App Store worked properly. Any attempts to authenticate my account in iTunes gave unknown errors -42408 and -50, in that order. And downloading free updates of apps from the Mac App Store failed. So I decided to backtrack and find out what part of the current Unibeast was the problem. It wasn't Clover 5107. It wasn't related to using VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC. Not related to any of the .efi drivers. Not related to Lilu or AppleALC. I then reverted WhateverGreen 1.3.7 to 1.3.0, and all the iTunes/ Mac OS App Store problems were resolved. I then tried updating WEG by one release at a time. No problems with 1.3.4, all of the above problems returned with 1.3.5.

The version of iTunes installed is 12.6.5.3 - for app management. I wonder if there is a workaround for WEG newer that 1.3.4 that might address this issue. Or a rational approach for debugging the problem.

Thanks for looking.

I am having an issue with any version of WEG newer than 1.3.4.

My system has been running well, but I decided to download the most current version of Unibeast for High Sierra 10.13.6, create a USB installer, and use some of the drivers and kexts in my existing EFI partition. The system was still stable, everything worked (USB, video, audio, internal WiFi, etc.) However, after a couple of days I discovered that nothing related to the iTunes Store or Mac App Store worked properly. Any attempts to authenticate my account in iTunes gave unknown errors -42408 and -50, in that order. And downloading free updates of apps from the Mac App Store failed. So I decided to backtrack and find out what part of the current Unibeast was the problem. It wasn't Clover 5107. It wasn't related to using VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC. Not related to any of the .efi drivers. Not related to Lilu or AppleALC. I then reverted WhateverGreen 1.3.7 to 1.3.0, and all the iTunes/ Mac OS App Store problems were resolved. I then tried updating WEG by one release at a time. No problems with 1.3.4, all of the above problems returned with 1.3.5.

The version of iTunes installed is 12.6.5.3 - for app management. I wonder if there is a workaround for WEG newer that 1.3.4 that might address this issue. Or a rational approach for debugging the problem.

Thanks for looking.
I can not say for sure but there is a good chance that 1.3.5 dropped what ever support the previous version had for iTunes. 1.3.5 was released in December of 2019 so roughly a month after the release of Catalina. Catalina dropped iTunes in favor of the music app and the Apple TV app. At some point in the near future I would imagine you losing the ability to use iTunes but that is just a guess. You might also lose the ability to use the App Store in the future.

OK, I understand what you are saying about the release date of WEG 1.3.5, but Unibeast 8.4, for High Sierra 10.13, contains WEG 1.3.7 - a few months newer. There is no such thing as Music or Apple TV in High Sierra, and there will never be. High Sierra is all about iTunes. Unibeast and Multibeast are supposed to be tools for Hackintosh noobies, and Unibeast 8.4, at least on my system, kills both iTunes and the App Store. Or to be more precise, it doesn't allow signing in to my account. iTunes can play music, a video, whatever. But downloads are impossible. Seems like someone should have noticed it. Earlier versions of Unibeast for High Sierra were fine. I HAVE studied what WEG did in 1.3.5, and there are a lot of mentions of DRM playback and Shiki. That doesn't matter much to me, I don't have DRM music or movies/TV. What does matter is that I can't sign in.

Thanks for your thoughts.

OK, I understand what you are saying about the release date of WEG 1.3.5, but Unibeast 8.4, for High Sierra 10.13, contains WEG 1.3.7 - a few months newer. There is no such thing as Music or Apple TV in High Sierra, and there will never be. High Sierra is all about iTunes. Unibeast and Multibeast are supposed to be tools for Hackintosh noobies, and Unibeast 8.4, at least on my system, kills both iTunes and the App Store. Or to be more precise, it doesn't allow signing in to my account. iTunes can play music, a video, whatever. But downloads are impossible. Seems like someone should have noticed it. Earlier versions of Unibeast for High Sierra were fine. I HAVE studied what WEG did in 1.3.5, and there are a lot of mentions of DRM playback and Shiki. That doesn't matter much to me, I don't have DRM music or movies/TV. What does matter is that I can't sign in.

Thanks for your thoughts.
I know what the beast softwares are for, I also know that Music app/Apple TV app will not ever be on High Sierra. My thoughts are what I told you already, and that is it has something to do with the move to the Music App and Apple TV app. Maybe you should make your own post about this in the High Sierra forums, better yet maybe you should contact the developers about your problem. If it was intended consquence they will let you know.

Back