Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

Have an issue after updating to 10.15.4, which may or may not be related to Lilu - but I thought I’d post it here anyway.

Opencore 0.5.6
Latest Kexts

Have the BUSid connector patch (iGpu HDMI black screen fix) in config.plist which was working perfectly in previous versions with a single screen or dual-monitors.

After updating to 10.15.4, when booting up with only HDMI, the screen will cut to black at the moment the desktop shows up on screen.

If booting with a dual monitor setup (DP + HDMI), both screens will load up to the desktop, but as soon as the screen OR pc sleeps the HDMI signal will vanish

- if I physically disconnect and reconnect the cable, the signal will come back.

After updating to 10.15.4, when booting up with only HDMI, the screen will cut to black at the moment the desktop shows up on screen. If booting with a dual monitor setup (DP + HDMI), both screens will load up to the desktop, but as soon as the screen OR pc sleeps the HDMI signal will vanish.

@thedeazy,

The 10.15.4 update includes quite a few new features and changes that effect HDMI and display features.

As of this morning there are multiple users reporting issues and KP's with 10.15.4 mainly to do with display or audio over over HDMI. however it seems to be just certain hardware and system configurations as some users are reporting that the 10.15.4 update works fine.

I think if you have issues running 10.15.4 then the best thing to do would be to restore the backup you made of 10.15.3 before installing 10.14.5 and wait for updates to OC / Clover and the 3rd party kexts such as lilu, WhatEverGreem, AppleALC ...etc which should hopefully resolve the issues.

Personally I always wait a few days to a few weeks when a new MacOs version is released and keep an eye on the update success/failure posts ... only update once you know any underlying issues have been resolved.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@jaymonkey

Hello... I'm not sure if you saw my post in the No Audio Devices thread in regard to your guide as well?
I solved the issue myself, as you will see, but the part of the guide that I was confused on as well was the configuration of AppleALC using Hackintool patch. I ended up using the CCG method and that's what worked.

The confusion I had was that the patch generated by Hackintool seemed like it should have worked, but when I converted the layout data from Base64 to Hex is when the patch broke. But in the guide it says you need to convert that Layout-id to hex. Just looking for some clarification, and perhaps let you know that part of the guide was a bit confusing.

That said, your guide gave me a ton of insight into the Lilu plugins and how to use them... Very nicely done, so thank you for that!

in the guide it says you need to convert that Layout-id to hex. Just looking for some clarification, and perhaps let you know that part of the guide was a bit confusing.

That said, your guide gave me a ton of insight into the Lilu plugins and how to use them... Very nicely done, so thank you for that!

@rocco_77,

Thank you for your feedback ....

Note 2 in that section of the guide covers conversion of base64 numbers to hex using the calculator function :-

Lilu + Plug-in's guide said:
Note-2: The data values generated by the Hackintool code generator are in base-64 so if you use Clover Configurator or plist editor then you will have to convert the value to an 8 digit hex number, you can use the calculator function in Hackintool to do this. For example you want to use layout id 13, Hackintool generates a base64 value of "DQAAAA==" if we enter this in to Hackintool's calculator we get a hex value of "0d 00 00 00", enter this as the value for "layout-id" without the spaces.

And there are screen grabs to show you the process ...

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Has anyone been able to get RX 5xx cards DRM (Safari) to work in any version of Catalina? I keep trying every version and then reverting to Mojave when it eventually doesn't work.

/edit Nevermind, everything works GREAT in 10.15.4.

Last edited:
I have this problem when I follow AppleALC setup
I don't see Layout Id in Audio Info box
And my audio codec name does seem right
1585744647101.png

1585745057269.png

According to my wife, this guide was written for me. Super write up and thank you for keeping it current with Catalina!

As per Toleda I used Layout ID 1 using the Hackintool patching method you recommend. I noticed Layout ID 7 was listed in Hackintool at the bottom, which is what I used to use:

Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 9.37.29 PM.png

Where does that ID come from? Is it what I am supposed to use? The only reason I am asking is because one of the users in my guide thread is having audio issues. He an HDMI monitor with speakers and has the following issue:
  1. The HDMI audio and DisplayPort audio to his monitor starts glitching and then suddenly mutes after about 5 minutes of playing youtube content
  2. If he switches from HDMI/DisplayPort audio to Internal Speaker the audio keeps working
  3. but when he tries to switch back HDMI/DisplayPort, no audio.
Would Clover->Devices->Audio->ResetHda flag help?

All advice appreciated!

As per Toleda I used Layout ID 1 using the Hackintool patching method you recommend. I noticed Layout ID 7 was listed in Hackintool at the bottom, which is what I used to use.

Where does that ID come from? Is it what I am supposed to use?

@ModMike,

As explained in the AppleALC section of the guide, layout-id 7 is used by the AppleALC kext as a place holder in the AppleHDA kext which Lilu + AppleALC then patch to your required layout-id which is is indexed by the device property "alc-layout-id" defined in your config.plist (as clearly shown in your screen grab).

If your still unclear how the AppleALC process works please re-read the Audio patching section of the guide :-

The only reason I am asking is because one of the users in my guide thread is having audio issues. He an HDMI monitor with speakers ....

AppleALC and AppleHDA only deal with the analouge/onboard audio codec (usually RealTek ALC) , HDMI and Display Port Audio is an extension of the graphics card driver and has nothing to do with the layout-id (or alc-layout-id). If you look at the top section of your screen grab you can see that the Vega GPU has its own codec driver listed, these devices are not user configurable.

Your screen grab also shows the onboard IGPU audio codec (Intel Kabylake HDMI) listed which it should not if you have a dGPU installed (Vega 56/64 in your case). This would indicate to me that your IGPU is not configured correctly with a headless platformID ... see the Headless section of the guide for more info.

Would Clover->Devices->Audio->ResetHda flag help?

No it would not, as detailed above AppleHDA only deals with the analogue/on-board audio so forcing a reset will not help with the HDMI Audio issue.

Some suggestions :-
  • Have your tried a different (better quality) HDMI/Display Port cable ?
  • Check the Monitors built-in menus and see if it is possible to turn off Display Port 1.2 compatibility
  • Try a different HDMI/Display Port connector on the dGPU
Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@ModMike,

As explained in the AppleALC section of the guide, layout-id 7 is used by the AppleALC kext as a place holder in the AppleHDA kext which Lilu + AppleALC then patch to your required layout-id which is is indexed by the device property ALC layout ID (as clearly shown in your screen grab).

If your still un clear how that process works please re-read the ApleALC section of the guide :-

AppleALC and AppleHDA only deal with the analouge/onboard audio codec (usually RealTek ALC) , HDMI and Display Port Audio is an extension of the graphics card driver and has nothing to do with the layout-id (or alc-layout-id). If you look at the top section of your screen grab you can see that the Vega GPU has its own codec driver listed, these devices are not user configurable.

Your screen grab also shows the onboard IGPU audio codec (Intel Kabylake HDMI) listed which it should not if you have a dGPU installed (Vega 56/64 in your case). This would indicate to me that your IGPU is not configured correctly with a headless platformID ... see the Headless section of the guide for more info.

No it would not, as detailed above AppleHDA only deals with the analogue/on-board audio so forcing a reset will not help with the HDMI Audio issue.

Some suggestions :-
  • Have your tried a different (better quality) HDMI/Display Port cable ?
  • Check the Monitors built-in menus and see if it is possible to turn off Display Port 1.2 compatibility
  • Try a different HDMI/Display Port connector on the dGPU
Cheers
Jay

Jay,

Thank your definitive and concise answer.

I am SUPPOSED to be in headless mode but it seems something went wrong when I redid my EFI yesterday. Someone using my EFI also noticed it, I guess I need to audit my plist.

Hi, on Intel HD4600 I have two monitors, one on the HDMI port and the other on the DVI port. The update to 10.15.4 is successful only if I connect only the DVI monitor. Catalina works in dual display online if I connect the HDMI monitor after the system has started, otherwise KP and infinite reboot. 10.15.3 worked perfectly.
All the Kext are updated, Clover 5108. I also tried the beta release of LILU and WHATEVERGREEN unsuccessfully...

Back