Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

yes, you will have to generate patch and then export that to your config.plist after making sure your connectors are setup etc

Ok cool here's my current connectors setup should i changed one of it to be hdmi?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 12.14.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 12.14.16 AM.png
    123.5 KB · Views: 77
Ok cool here's my current connectors setup should i changed one of it to be hdmi?
yes, if you have hdmi also best to re read post 1 for more information

Hi, I have 1080p external display drived by GTX 650 Ti (yes it works) and HD 4600 in headless mode and want to run it, the display in HiDPI 1080p mode. Adding -cdfon boot arg can do it by itself?

@Archangeliques,

The -cdfon boot argument is only for Intel IGPU and is only needed for 2K and 4K displays.

You say that you want to run your display in HIDPI 1080P ...
By this do you mean you want to run a 4K display that "Looks Like" 1080P ?

Cheers
Jay

I'm having an issue on my igpu Intel HD 530 to have work dual monitor I'm currently using one dp and the second monitor is HDMI.

@MrOptimistic16,

In you screen shots in post #698 you have used a Coffee Lake IGPU PlatformID, as @Feartech already pointed out you should be using a Skylake PlatfromID for the IGPU. Once you have the correct PlatfromID you will then need to patch the connectors in the frame buffer so that they mach the physical connectors on your motherboard (DP, HDMI .. etc).

As detailed in the main guide you should use @CaseySJ's excellent guide to do that :-

Cheers
Jay

@Archangeliques,

The -cdfon boot argument is only for Intel IGPU and is only needed for 2K and 4K displays.

You say that you want to run your display in HIDPI 1080P ...
By this do you mean you want to run a 4K display that "Looks Like" 1080P ?

Cheers
Jay
Not exactly. The crispness of iMac and Macbook Pro Displays can't be achieved without HiDPI on external monitors. So, people force MacOS to run on HiDPI. SwitchresX for instance, it claims it unlocks the hidden resolutions of MacOS and run it higher resolutions. For a 1080p display, in order MacOS to run on HiDPI, SwitchresX tricks MacOS to think the display is 2K or 3K so it renders as either 2880x1620 (2x) or 2360*1800 (1.5x) then downscale to 1080p for the monitor which makes everything on the screen crisper like a real iMac or MBP display.

Since we have Hackintosh, I thought maybe there is a hotpatch or kernel patch (like enabling Trim) that does the same without dealing with 3rd party app and have the same result.

What do you think? Is there any WEG argument/option that we can use for tricking the OS to think it is connected to 4K/5K display so it enables HiDPI?

Thanks!

For a 1080p display, in order MacOS to run on HiDPI, SwitchresX tricks MacOS to think the display is 2K or 3K so it renders as either 2880x1620 (2x) or 2360*1800 (1.5x) then downscale to 1080p for the monitor which makes everything on the screen crisper like a real iMac or MBP display.

@Archangeliques,

Interesting ..... i've not heard or come across that approach before, at least on a MAC.

What do you think? Is there any WEG argument/option that we can use for tricking the OS to think it is connected to 4K/5K display so it enables HiDPI?

As far as I know ,I don't think there is any mechanism in WEG that you could use to achieve what you want.
It may be possible to inject a modified 2K or 4K monitor EDID but it's not something i've ever done myself.

SwitchResX usually works well on a Hackintosh so it's possible that the method used on real iMac's and MBP's may work for you. The only unknown would be your GTX 650 Ti as no Mac ever shipped with that GPU and you'll be relying on the Nvidia Web drivers to support what you want to do.

If you do get it to work please let us know how you did it, as i'm sure many other users would be interested in it.

Good Luck
Cheers
Jay

@Archangeliques,

Interesting ..... i've not heard or come across that approach before, at least on a MAC.

As far as I know ,I don't think there is any mechanism in WEG that you could use to achieve what you want.
It may be possible to inject a modified 2K or 4K monitor EDID but it's not something i've ever done myself.

SwitchResX usually works well on a Hackintosh so it's possible that the method used on real iMac's and MBP's may work for you. The only unknown would be your GTX 650 Ti as no Mac ever shipped with that GPU and you'll be relying on the Nvidia Web drivers to support what you want to do.

If you do get it to work please let us know how you did it, as i'm sure many other users would be interested in it.

Good Luck
Cheers
Jay
What I found so far is RehabMan's way of achieving it, ofc it required manually editing, creating plist files and altering system files. :) This is actually the same method SwitchresX use.
Adding/Using HiDPI custom resolutions

Same way but fully automated with a script: Enable macOS HiDPI

And I found this thread, Nvidia GTX 1080 + LG Ultrafine 5K full 5K@60hz Success!, looked related but it's too complicated to me.

600 and 700 series are supported OOB, so no need any drivers. I found out another issue with my card though, "3840x2160 at 30Hz or 4096x2160 at 24Hz supported over HDMI", so, until I buy a new card, No soup (HiDPI) for me!

What I found so far is RehabMan's way of achieving it, ofc it required manually editing, creating plist files and altering system files.

@Archangeliques,

I've always found RehabMans guides to be very good as he goes out of his way to explain how a patch works rather than just telling you what to do.

I found out another issue with my card though, "3840x2160 at 30Hz or 4096x2160 at 24Hz supported over HDMI"

I must admit i did wonder if your GPU would be able to run those resolutions at a high enough refresh rate.
There are some good deals on AMD RX 580/590 and Vega 56 / 64 GPU's right now.

Cheers
Jay

Good morning @jaymonkey - wonder if you can answer a quick question?

I see many people moving their non standard kexts to EFI/CLOVER/KEXTS/OTHER rather than l/e, I tried this but I then had no sound. Am I correct that Lilu and Apple ALC need to be in the same place? What would you recommend if moving non apple kexts to E/C/K/O in respect of Whatevergreen, Lilu and Sound?

Back