Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

Thank you so much for this guide!!

I had problem only having 7MB on my intel hd Graphics 530. This guide solved it. But I can only use HDMI and have some gliches when I start up os ( MAC loggo change colour between red and green)

Thank you so much for this guide!! ... I had problem only having 7MB on my intel hd Graphics 530. This guide solved it. But I can only use HDMI and have some gliches when I start up os ( MAC loggo change colour between red and green)

@calleo,

As detailed in the guide, further patching of the IGPU framebuffer may be required in order to be able to use all display connectors on your motherboard.

Please see @CaseySJ's excellent guide of the subject here :-

Cheers
Jay

@calleo,

As detailed in the guide, further patching of the IGPU framebuffer may be required in order to be able to use all display connectors on your motherboard.

Please see @CaseySJ's excellent guide of the subject here :-

@jaymonkey

I looked though that guide and it seems like a very nice guide. I read though some of the guide and got to number 5, and saw this:
5. But herein lies the problem: When the proper (accelerated) display driver is connected, your motherboard's HDMI and DVI ports will stop working. So you must either (1) connect your display monitor to a different but working video port on the motherboard (try DisplayPort), or (2) use a discrete (external) GPU and connect your display monitor to the discrete GPU.

My problem is I havent got any DGPU unit or display port unit. I runt with a HDMI to DVI cabel now and i haven't found any problems with it :)

Cheers
Jay

Hey experts,

unfortunately I do have an issue with (disappearing) audio:

My system:

Mojave 10.14.6
Gigabyte Z370 DH3P
Intel i7 8700k
Radeon VII
2 Monitors connected via DisplayPort
Sound output via DisplayPort/HDMI (I tested this; behaviour is exactly the same no matter if I connect my monitors via HDMI or DisplayPort, respectively)

The audio on the system is working fine after start up. In system settings I can select my output device, etc.

Now, after some time, usually around 20 minutes, sounds becomes somewhat distorted (for the lack of a better word) and disappears completely shortly thereafter.

I followed the iDiots guide to Lilo/Whatevegreen, set "layout-id" accordingly and tried the high precision event timer patch (HPET enable in BIOS). All to no avail.

I just realised: when I physically disconnect/reconnect the monitor audio reappears.

Anyone an idea what might be going on and how to fix this? Thank you!

Last edited:
unfortunately I do have an issue with (disappearing) Sound output via DisplayPort/HDMI (I tested this; behaviour is exactly the same no matter if I connect my monitors via HDMI or DisplayPort, respectively)

@Loki.Mephisto,

Quite a few users have reported issues with HDMI/DP Audio with the Radeon VII, sometimes audio disappears like in your case, sometimes the audio is glitchy/scratchy.

It is not just Hackintosh users that are reporting this issues, it has also been reported on the Apple forums that it happens on genuine Macs with Radeon VII in eGPU/TB3 configuration. So the issue is most likely either in the Radeon VII GPU drivers or the Core Audio framework.

What makes the problem frustrating is that for some users it works fine (both hacks and real macs), unfortunately I don't have a Radeon VII so i can't do any testing myself. Best bet is to search these forums for those users who are having similar issues and see if there are any methods that can help improve the issue.

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey,
thank you for your advice. As a workaround I am thinking of getting just some plain old desktop speakers to be connected via audio out.

Last edited:
thank you for you advice. As a workaround I am thinking of getting just some plain old desktop speakers to be connected via audio out.

@Loki.Mephisto,

Good option ... I think that (or a USB audio device) has been the preferred work around by most of the Radeon VII users who are suffering from the issue.

Cheers
Jay

Headless IGPU Configuration (Desktop systems only)

If your primary display adaptor is a dGPU such as Nvidia or AMD and you have a supported IGPU then using a headless PlatformID will allow your Hackintosh system to be more stable and behave much more like a genuine Mac with access to IGPU hardware accelerated features.

To use the IGPU in headless mode you must set the following BIOS options :-
  • IGPU -> Enabled
  • Primary Display Adapter -> dGPU (PEG)
  • Multi-Monitor Mode -> Enabled (if option is present)
Hi, In BIOS, under Integrated Graphics Devices Config, What should I set for Integrated Graphics Share Memory and DVMT Memory? 64M and 128MB, respectively for Headless IGPU Configuration?
  • Integrated Graphics Share Memory [64M] ?
  • DVMT Memory [128MB] ?
Thanks!

Hi, In BIOS, under Integrated Graphics Devices Config, What should I set for Integrated Graphics Share Memory and DVMT Memory? 64M and 128MB, respectively for Headless IGPU Configuration?

@Archangeliques,

MacOs does not use the "Integrated Graphics Share Memory" BIOS setting, it allocates system memory as needed using it own method. However Windows does use this setting so if your using the IGPU in Windows then you should set it accordingly. If you don't use the IGPU in Windows then it's best to disable it via Device Manager.

MacOS expects "DVMT Memory" to be at least 64MB, most users find it works well set to 128GB as per your example.

Cheers
Jay

@Archangeliques,

MacOs does not use the "Integrated Graphics Share Memory" BIOS setting, it allocates system memory as needed using it own method. However Windows does use this setting so if your using the IGPU in Windows then you should set it accordingly. If you don't use the IGPU in Windows then it's best to disable it via Device Manager.

MacOS expects "DVMT Memory" to be at least 64MB, most users find it works well set to 128GB as per your example.

Cheers
Jay
For some odd reason, I could not find DVMT Memory setting in BIOS and it supposed to be under:

Settings \ Advanced \ Integrated Graphics Configuration

• Initiate Graphic Adapter: [PEG]
  • Integrated Graphics Share Memory: [128MB+]
  • IGD Multi-Monitor: [Enabled]
As far as I remember IGSM was 64MB and I probably thought it is DVMT and increased it to 128MB. I'm using dGPU with iGPU (headless mode) and everything is working fine. So, should I decrease IGSM to its default 64MB now? If I do that will I get Kernel Panic?

It's really interesting to see Z87 Mobo has the feature but H97, newer one does not have... Is it possible that IGSM works as DVMT in my Mobo?

Thanks!

3ce8-08-msi-snapshot-22.gif

Back