Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

I just need to know the correct bootflags in case there is WhateverGreen interference, and the correct ig-platform-id to enable the GPU correctly. Would you happen to know this information?

I had an RX 580 and the HD 4600 working in this way on my previous build which worked fine with multiple monitors, so macOS can handle it.

ig-platform-id is 3E9B0007 for UHD 630 non-headless.

HD 4600 may have worked because you were on an ancient system definition that didn't utilize IGPU the way more modern iMacs do.

ig-platform-id is 3E9B0007 for UHD 630 non-headless.

HD 4600 may have worked because you were on an ancient system definition that didn't utilize IGPU the way more modern iMacs do.
Thank you.

It does work, including QE/CI acceleration, however some applications have garbled text/images on all displays so I guess it it not fully compatible. Interestingly, the UHD630 and display does not appear at all in system report, however the connected monitor appears in the displays tab of of the main window as being connected to "AMD Radeon VII 16 GB" instead of "AMD Radeon VII 16 GB graphics".

1573392098062.png

Thank you very much for your help @pastrychef once again but I guess I will have to wait until Apple fix the Radeon VII driver properly.

Thank you.

It does work, including QE/CI acceleration, however some applications have garbled text/images on all displays so I guess it it not fully compatible. Interestingly, the UHD630 and display does not appear at all in system report, however the connected monitor appears in the displays tab of of the main window as being connected to "AMD Radeon VII 16 GB" instead of "AMD Radeon VII 16 GB graphics".

View attachment 435278

Thank you very much for your help @pastrychef once again but I guess I will have to wait until Apple fix the Radeon VII driver properly.

I only have one monitor, but I've tested all the video out ports of my Radeon VII and they all work when WhateverGreen is installed. If WhateverGreen is not installed, only the HDMI port and the DisplayPort furthest away from the HDMI port works.

I only have one monitor, but I've tested all the video out ports of my Radeon VII and they all work when WhateverGreen is installed. If WhateverGreen is not installed, only the HDMI port and the DisplayPort furthest away from the HDMI port works.

All of mine work too however I have more displays than ports, and daisy chaining seems to break things (it seems having >4 displays connected causes the one connected to the HDMI port to simply stop working)

As I don't own another DisplayPort 1.2 compatible monitor nor do I own a DisplayPort MST hub (no clue if they even work with AMD cards on OSX, they certainly don't work with NVidia) I cannot conduct further testing of DP chains.

All of mine work too however I have more displays than ports, and daisy chaining seems to break things (it seems having >4 displays connected causes the one connected to the HDMI port to simply stop working)

As I don't own another DisplayPort 1.2 compatible monitor nor do I own a DisplayPort MST hub (no clue if they even work with AMD cards on OSX, they certainly don't work with NVidia) I cannot conduct further testing of DP chains.

If you have any spare PCI-e slots, you can always pick up an old, cheap, used Nvidia Card just to drive your last monitor. I think GT 640s can be found for about $25 on eBay now and they are still natively supported. However, we have no idea how long that support will continue...

It does work, including QE/CI acceleration, however some applications have garbled text/images on all displays so I guess it it not fully compatible.

@narbatucker,

Running a IGPU in non "Headless" mode (and connected to monitors) as well as running a dGPU at the same time on MacOS is not recommended as it's a configuration that no iMac or MacPro actually uses so you should not be surprised that it creates unexpected results ...

Almost all desktop Mac's have the IGPU is configured as "Headless" and it is only used for low power compute features such as IQS, Airplay, Finder JPG and Video previews .. etc.

Recommend that you go back to running the IGPU as headless.

You could try patching the AMD frame buffer with the correct port types as detailed in the AMD Compatibility Guide:-

And

Cheers
Jay

If you have any spare PCI-e slots, you can always pick up an old, cheap, used Nvidia Card just to drive your last monitor. I think GT 640s can be found for about $25 on eBay now and they are still natively supported. However, we have no idea how long that support will continue...
I still have my old RX 580... but that might be a bit overkill (also I only have 750W PSU, would that be enough?)

@narbatucker,

Running a IGPU in non "Headless" mode (and connected to monitors) as well as running a dGPU at the same time on MacOS is not recommended as it's a configuration that no iMac or MacPro actually uses so you should not be surprised that it creates unexpected results ...

Almost all desktop Mac's have the IGPU is configured as "Headless" and it is only used for low power compute features such as IQS, Airplay, Finder JPG and Video previews .. etc.

Recommend that you go back to running the IGPU as headless.

You could try patching the AMD frame buffer with the correct port types as detailed in the AMD Compatibility Guide:-

And

Cheers
Jay
All 4 ports on my VII work fine, it's just if I connect more than 4 displays by means of daisychaining, things break (as described above). Do you believe that to be something I could solve by patching the framebuffer, instead of using WeG?

I have already gone back to headless mode.

All 4 ports on my VII work fine, it's just if I connect more than 4 displays by means of daisychaining, things break (as described above). Do you believe that to be something I could solve by patching the framebuffer, instead of using WeG?

@narbatucker,

Sorry was not aware that you where daisy chaining displays, how exactly are you daisy chaining ? .. via TB3 ?
If all four ports of your dGPU are working then there is no need to patch the AMD frame buffer.

Patching of the AMD framebuffer is only necessary if one or more ports are not working, the process is done via clover kext patching the Apple device drivers (EG. AMD FB Port 2 = HDMI but in reality it is a DP).

Cheers
Jay

I still have my old RX 580... but that might be a bit overkill (also I only have 750W PSU, would that be enough?)

I have already gone back to headless mode.

If your power supply is from a reputable company, I think 750W should be fine for powering the RX 580. I currently have a really crappy 400W powering my Vega 56 (which is really power hungry) and haven't had any problems even when gaming.

I think using the RX 580 is a much better idea than trying to use IGPU for display when you have dGPU(s) installed. As stated earlier, it's unknown how macOS will behave with this configuration.

@narbatucker,

Sorry was not aware that you where daisy chaining displays, how exactly are you daisy chaining ? .. via TB3 ?
If all four ports of your dGPU are working then there is no need to patch the AMD frame buffer.

Patching of the AMD framebuffer is only necessary if one or more ports are not working, the process is done via clover kext patching the Apple device drivers (EG. AMD FB Port 2 = HDMI but in reality it is a DP).

Cheers
Jay

I am using Radeon VII ---> DP to DP cable ---> Display ---> Active DP to VGA adapter ---> Extra monitor

This setup works fine if I have only 4 displays connected, in this instance, using the 3 DP ports of the VII (including the Extra monitor above)

If I plug a 5th display in to the HDMI, that 5th display will not work until I unplug the Extra monitor described in the setup above. This was not an issue with my RX 580.

If your power supply is from a reputable company, I think 750W should be fine for powering the RX 580. I currently have a really crappy 400W powering my Vega 56 (which is really power hungry) and haven't had any problems even when gaming.

I think using the RX 580 is a much better idea than trying to use IGPU for display when you have dGPU(s) installed. As stated earlier, it's unknown how macOS will behave with this configuration.
I will give that a try then, thank you, although I really would like a solution to this issue as the RX 580 is a big card and is going to cramp my case a little.

Back