Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

Over at Toms hardware this guy describes essentially the same issues I am having .. just that I didn't install windows on the disk, I formatted it GPT/apfs and installed with unibeast

now there is an old label on the drive.. there is a possibility that it had an old windows 7 install on it.. perhaps it left some windows boot sector on the drive even after the format, but again.. I am getting a Mac OS X header not a windows header.. very strange

From Tom's

My PC can boot only if I hold F10 while it launches, even tho I have my drive with OS on the 1st place in order in bios. This problem has been since I installed Win10 on my 2T HDD this summer. (on 7/8.1 there was no such problem)
So if I hold F10 while booting, and manually select the right drive to boot (even if there is only 1 drive installed), then everything works fine.
If I just launch my PC without pressing F10, then I get a black screen that says:
"A bootable device has not been detected. Please refer to the Product Guide at support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop"

What I tried so far and got nothing:
1) Changing SATA slots, none of them solves the problem.
2) Changing how my PC should treat SATA connections (IDE/SATA) both in bios and Registry Editor.
3) Deleting Win10 from HDD, buying a 120 GB SSD and installing it there.
4) Going to intel website, downloading latest (5600 or previous 5599) bios updates (EXE).
5) Installing RAID Driver (when I tried to, it said that I have no Intel hardware or something like that).
5) Disconnecting all other drives except the one with the OS and trying all SATA ports.

6) Downloading latest (5600 or prev. 5599) bios updates that you can install by launching DOS from USB Flash. With this one my PC restarted and was constantly restarting every 2 secs until I turned off power supply. Then after a couple of minutes I tried to boot it and try something else, but PC said that bios update was not successful and it cannot launch windows. I don't know how, but it fixed itself and I got my old bios back that I started with. To mention: I haven't updated bios ever because there was no reason for it.
There are many other versions of bios on Intel website for my MB, and I'd try them too but idk how it fixed itself last time. So I'll try them only if you tell me that it can help.

Also, I'm not able to set my PC to sleep/hibernate anymore, when I try to wake it up, coolers start to spin, but screen stays black (stand-by). Tried different Power scheme settings, it didn't help.

my system will auto sleep, but wakeup is still a crap shoot.. sometimes it will come back, others I get the same lights on but no video, the video cards GPU load meter that would normally have at least one bar does not light (not initializing) but I don't think the operating system is operating behind the black screen... the logs don't show any entries after the sleep, so it is never waking or attempting to wake.. just freezes.. also can't ping or ssh into the machine in that state.. again.. looks like a panic but usually if my board panics it reboots .. so non-standard behaviour

I push the kexts of Clover/kexts/Other to /L/E using Hackintool, and then ,my battery patch doesn't work, but when i delete kexts of /L/E, then my battery patch back to work.
I don't why. But i don't delete the kexts of Clover/kexts/Other after using hackintool pushed those kexts to /L/E.
But the clover injects kexts by detecting automatic, so there are essential that deleting those kexts?

I push the kexts of Clover/kexts/Other to /L/E using Hackintool, and then ,my battery patch doesn't work, but when i delete kexts of /L/E, then my battery patch back to work.

@RMTT,

Does your native DSDT battery code use EC code ?, if so then if it not patched correctly that can stop it working correctly.
See this guide for full details on patching DSDT code for working battery :-

If done correctly there should be no reason why it wont work with kexts installed in /L/E
It works fine on my HP Spectre X360 ...

Cheers
Jay

Hello everyone,
i success build a new pc :

i3 4170 haswell
MSI h81m-e33
16gb corsair 1600mhz
ssd 240 corsair
MSI RX570 armor

Lilu+whatevergreen already put on efi

the problem is i can't render video, always freeze but mouse still can moving around
how to fix this

Attachments

• 4288293E-B75A-4DBA-924B-ABF11BB7987B.png
    4288293E-B75A-4DBA-924B-ABF11BB7987B.png
    485 KB · Views: 52
  • 8AEA17D7-7930-474F-9279-FF352663B89E.png
    8AEA17D7-7930-474F-9279-FF352663B89E.png
    309.1 KB · Views: 58
  • C3ECC463-528D-401F-A20E-045C745307E2.png
    C3ECC463-528D-401F-A20E-045C745307E2.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 46
@RMTT,

Does your native DSDT battery code use EC code ?, if so then if it not patched correctly that can stop it working correctly.
See this guide for full details on patching DSDT code for working battery :-

If done correctly there should be no reason why it wont work with kexts installed in /L/E
It works fine on my HP Spectre X360 ...

Cheers
Jay
Hmm, my EC locates in one SSDT, not DSDT, and it can work correctly when i place all kexts into Clover/kexts/Other, so i think the patch is correct.

@jaymonkey

I have an interesting problem brewing again...

still working out the kinks on my DSDT (which I am now of the opinion I still must use my patched DSDT because I just can't get stable at all with just hot patching)

moving from el cap to Mojave also mandates that I now have to replace my SIL3124 based add in sata card.. I had a 3 disk apple raid (for data) on it but as everyone found out some time ago... it just crashes mojave and evidently can't be fixed

I went out a bought a 6 slot card that had OS X capability and booting spec'd. .

• With using The Marvell 88SE9215 chip and ASM1093 chips, improve this card more stable and compatible.
when I put this card into my DX58so .. booting UEFI... I get WEIRDNESS again

at boot, I still have to F10 to get into the boot menu as clover not auto booting at all.. more on that in a different post

the cards bios config splashes and the drives are in the F10 one time boot list

I boot my Clover / Mojave EFI disk , get the loader, select and boot

It goes black screen somewhere in second stage I believe.. but its not crashing the machine

I can SSH into the box.. its up and running

FURTHER... the drives are loaded.. the apple 3strip raid is up and the files are there

but video is not

console logs show multiple GPU.restart events with associated dumps that mean less than nothing to me..

I have tried moving it to different slots, tried using the native DSDT instead of patch.. nothing changes.. same results

I MOVE OVER TO MY HP6300SFF mojave machine (nvidia 710)

I can boot mojave with this card installed everything working fine

I can BOOT MOJAVE from THIS CARD .. so its clearly not the card

I am thinking either a conflict with the Vega card at the hardware level (interrupts etc)

or more likely .. LILU/EVERGREEN ? or perhaps the intel DX58 jacked up UEFI half baked implementation ?

can anyone read these console logs and crash dumps and see if there is any hope of getting this card to function in the DX58s0?

Thanks

mods.. if you think this is better as a new thread... by all means move it!

thanks

Last edited:
I boot my Clover / Mojave EFI disk , get the loader, select and boot It goes black screen somewhere in second stage I believe.. but its not crashing the machine I can SSH into the box.. its up and running

FURTHER... the drives are loaded.. the apple 3strip raid is up and the files are there

but video is not, console logs show multiple GPU.restart events with associated dumps that mean less than nothing to me..

@dragonmel,

I used a SIL RAID card on my main desktop hack many moons ago but Apple dropped support for it sometime around the time of Mavericks, they have a habit of doing that with 3rd Party RAID cards, recently they dropped support for some Highpoint RAID cards in the latest version of Mojave.

I moved away from using internal RAID arrays on my Hacks, these days I use a NAS with a large RAID array connected via 10 Gig Ethernet ... so much less hassle IMO.

The black screen after boot issue sounds like the dGPU is failing to fully initialise with the RAID card installed. I recently read a report of something very similar somewhere else on these forums .. sorry cant remember where.

Check the PCI device paths using Hackintool, MacOS can be picky about the device path of a dGPU even more so if your using a Mac Pro SMBIOS.

Did you move the dGPU to a different slot when you installed the new RAID card ?

I think many of the issues you are seeing are due to the age of your Motherboard and it's early UEFI BIOS.
Intel Motherboards are notorious for being the most difficult to get working with MacOS.

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey

yeah.. jay... I remember that when apple stripped my SILIMAGE drivers when upgrading multiple times.. but I was able to use some drives that I found .. probably sonnet as they have lots of mac stuff..

yeah.. nas and servers are great.. but not for local scratch an local workspace.. can't edit video on a gig ethernet connection

i wasn't using that particular card for raid.. just JBOD and created a software apple raid with the disks

now however in Mojave.. its a violent rejection if the card is there.. wont even try to boot.. just crash loops... and in my real macbook pro, experimenting with mojave and dosdude (its a late 2008).. same issue with SI based cardbus adapters.. crashes out

I noticed in reading the entire internet of the last month of this escapade.. that meizi found that certain ATI cards require the deInit setting now avail in clover but not much talked about....

I may try that and see if it helps.. what I think going on is that for whatever reason .. having that card plugged in anywhere is keeping the card from initing or longinwindow / window server from working properly but I do have the console system logs entry for gpu.restart crashes..

no the GPU .. is in my PEG3 slot (as labeled by DSTD) and my DSDT has a GFX0 entry ... for some reason though... WEG as verified by ioregexplorer and pci in system profiler show an address of @04 I think...

the boot thing is even more bizarre still..

I just found an old thread that was talking about the issue a bit and made a post.. check it out please..

the GPU .. is in my PEG3 slot (as labeled by DSTD) and my DSDT has a GFX0 entry ... for some reason though... WEG as verified by ioregexplorer and pci in system profiler show an address of @04 I think...

@dragonmel,

Is that the lowest numbered x16 PCIe slot that you have available ?

Although I've not seen the issue myself I have seen a number of posts where moving the GPU to PEG0 or PEG1 has resolved GPU issues on MacOS ...

Might be worth a shot ... if you have the option.

Cheers
Jay

@dragonmel,

Is that the lowest numbered x16 PCIe slot that you have available ?

Although I've not seen the issue myself I have seen a number of posts where moving the GPU to PEG0 or PEG1 has resolved GPU issues on MacOS ...

Might be worth a shot ... if you have the option.

Cheers
Jay

Yeah... that is my first, uppermost PEG and listed in the manual as primary..

the DX58so has 3 full size graphics PEGs 2.0

it has a x4 PCIe above it also 2.0

it has a couple 1x that are PCIE 1.1 or something (but I tried that sata card in the 4x too)

and it has a legacy PCI slot.. hard to believe

I wish I knew better what LILU/WEG/ALC were doing..

with the patches that I have in my DSDT.. I didn't need them under El Cap

The dsdt edits were good enough for 4k PEG0 with HDMI audio

and the HDEF edit with a kext patch I believe (toleda) were good enough for my system line out

what is nuts is the PCIE sata card (new one) is working... when I ssh in .. the raid is loaded up, the system is running, just the gpu is crashing

I don't think I have tried it yet with the ATI noinit flag enabled in clover yet..

on a different note.. with regards to the board not booting though to clover without using the manual drive selection menu..

I am really leaning on clover jacking with the UEFI boot list on this intel board.. and apparently intel has no tools, menus or any other way to see, or remove whatever is in that UEFI boot menu.. according to some windows forums . if that UEFI boot gets broken... the board is pseudo bricked.. and you have to F10 for the rest of your life

Back