Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

@dragonmel,

Hummmm that does not sound great ... not sure what else to suggest other than what you have already tried.

I'm guessing you have already tried Clovers "FixShutdown" ACPI patch .. although it's know to cause issues on some systems. You could also try enabling Clovers "Halt Enabler" Option ...

Make sure you have "Fix Headers" option enabled ...

You should also try setting the shutdown/reboot addresses to 0/0 to use FACT table as you suggested.

Cheers
Jay

yeah.. will do.. I am prepping for a hurricane right now so this is taking a bit of a backseat

its definitely giving me issues..

with my el cap build and the DSDT I had all these fix options turned off... so trying to remember what and how I patched what is pissing me off..

I might just go back to it since is didn't run any worse and in some cases better

I think the issues with graphics rests more on the Vega card, its inherent issues even with windows and whatevergreen

if I change the display framerate to 24, which is native and use to work fine with el cap and the gtx660 (for Plex movies etc) it corrupts badly and HDMI audio gets lost, have to power off the monitor and back on and sometimes it fixes it sometimes not.. its like any time the mode changes, probably from wake as well...just like the windows crowd.. the Vega doesn't seem like its getting / setting the EDID right

yeah.. will do.. I am prepping for a hurricane right now so this is taking a bit of a backseat

@dragonmel,

Have been keeping an eye on that bad boy ... have friends in Florida ...

Be safe ....

Jay

Thank you so much, @jaymonkey.

So I understand that the best for me is to use the 18.3 smbios, right?

I read that they were indicating 19,x for 8700k. But is this valid for 10.13.6 or for the above systems?

So I understand that the best for me is to use the 18.3 smbios, right? I read that they were indicating 19,x for 8700k. But is this valid for 10.13.6 or for the above systems?

@LuizMeliga,

The iMac19,X models where released by Apple with MacOS Mojave 10.14.4 pre-installed, so if you want to use a iMac19.X SMBIOS you really need to be running MacOS Mojave 10.14.5 or later ...

The IGPU PlatformID's for Coffee Lake CPU's (8th & 9th Gen) included in the iMac19,X SMBIOS only work with MacOS Mojave 10.14.4 or later.

Coffee lake was just a refresh of Kaby Lake with extra Cores .. there where no new features.
You should have no issues running MacOS 10.13.6 with the iMac18,X SMBIOS on a 8th Gen CPU.

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey

so last night after spending most of the day prepping for the hurricane I decided to unwind messing with my Mojave transition issues...

that is like saying you want to unwind playing golf.. but I digress

I tend to reuse hard drives and repurpose them especially for testing out a transition like this.. the current disk that I did the fresh Mojave on started as a ZFS volume that was formatted GPT/APFS.. I am hopping there are no artifacts on it in the MBR etc.. that could be messing with me.

I decided to go deep and really think about what is going on here.

so originally I formatted this disk and installed 10.14.5 with the latest uni/multibeast

I believe I upgraded clover to 5045 at this point using OSXaptiomemfix3 (which actually is making permanent nvram changes to my hardware without using scripts just the helper driver)

then I believe I took my config.plist from a 43xx clover el capitan daily driver and moved it, and my patched DSDT etc to the mojave drive.

I believe that during this 10.14.6 update, it noticed the Mac Pro SMC and firmware were not the latest and required for mojave and tried to update it as part of the update, and that is how I am now left with permanent code in my UEFI bios.. there are no files, clover mods, boot sectors, or anything external to the motherboard that can be causing it. I have reloaded bios, cleared nvram, and even booted the board with no drives attached and yet its still there.

after a detailed look at clover and what it installs and where, I started looking at my drive

I think that my previous el capitan volume at one point was using legacy boot then updated to UEFI boot.. and during the use of the mac migration tools, it brought over some outdated and un-needed clover junk

I found rc scripts that I didn't install in mojave and deleted them
I found some remenace of some clover stuff in usr/ usr/local usr/standalone etc

i deleted everything from the new mojave volume and deleted the entire EFI again.. reinstalled 5058 I think for UEFI only, no rc scripts and the bare minimum of drivers to include nvramhelper

I could not get the new auto patching on a original DSDT to work stably, so I went back to my edited DSDT and I took the now new an properly formatted config.plist that clover loads default, and edited it with the SMBIOS info from my el capitan install config.plist. the DSDT that I have allows me to run with no DSDT patches and very little clover mods

I have fakesmc+sensors, LILU, WEG, and APPLEALC in kexts.... I also have some old mods in my DSDT that specify some GFX0 and Audio patches and I think that helps WEG get it right. I think I can actually take WEG out and my VEGA will load up without it and I still get ALC889 and HDMI audio without WEG.. but most say that WEG is still good to have even on native working cards to help with black screen wake and power mgmt so I am leaving it alone.

so far the system is a bit more stable.. I still get a random spat of stop sign at boot.. either from a fresh boot... and possibly more often with a reboot. the cmos does not seem to be resetting and nvram is holding all my values near as I can tell and imessagedebug is not seeing any changes in critical values there.

auto sleep is working and so far I have only tested one overnight sleep and it worked. I think some of the black screen at boot is still inherent to the VEGA firmware as windows users are plagues by many of our same complaints about black screening, wake behavior, multi monitor wake etc.

I notice after wake the card is using slightly less watts,

I also notice that my memory never clocks down to 0 when idle staying at 500 and going to 800 on load.
system clock goes really low like 25hz and clocks up to 1.46MHZ ish under load never seems to get higher than stage 5 I never see 1.5 or whatever the build in 'overclock' of the MSI air boost card is..

that could be my PCI-e 2.0 slots or perhaps the generic power management by apple since the card is using a generic frame buffer

any who... here I sit.. my drives are in a waterproof box as I sit here on my laptop while I still have power contemplating working out my niggles...

then I am pretty sure I did a software update to 10.14.6

so, having a 'old format' config.plist (with older mac pro 5,1 smbios/firmware definitions) may have permitted

I think another real possibility is that the DX58so is likely not a fully baked UEFI bios and it was added on to this board during a firmware update many years ago.

right now I am fairly confident there is no cross UEFI / legacy boot mechanics going on here, so it is surviving booting, rebooting, and mostly waking from a UEFI boot environment ..

of course it still wont auto boot my clover volume, I still have to press F10 at every boot/re boot to select the UEFI INTERNAL drive and then clover boatloader will load.

I still have the extra choose of boot preboot install from preboot, but its not in the bcfg boot dump list or diskutil ext.. its a phantom but have not idea where its coming from

I have also set in bios graphics.. to PEG instead of AUTO (other choice is PCI) to reduce the delay of the board bios looking around for devices. (intel defines the PEG as PCI-E if I read the right tech brief)

the wakeup issue when it does happen could be a signal handshake/timing issue.. but it sure looks like a crash because its not a black screen with the system operating behind it.. nobody is home, no logs show the wake and you can't ping or ssh the machine.. its just lights and fans on frozen when it doesn't wake properly

Last edited:
@dragonmel,

Thanks for the update .....

I seem to remember that early Intel boards with UEFI support where notoriously finicky ...
So it's possible that is part of the problem ...

I used to have an old Intel DZ77BH-55K motherboard and it never worked well with UEFI.
I think it was just around the time when UEFI was hitting mainstream ...
I ditched it and replaced it with a Gigabyte mobo back in the day which was way more stable.

I would still leave Lilu + WEG installed, it does a lot of checks and makes sure the GPU is configured correctly.

You may want to take a look at the New OpenCore bootloader ...

Like Clover its a complete EFI emulation/shell but is a new start building on what worked well in Clover and ditching a lot of the baggage ... (of which Clover has a lot of) It's still in Alpha but works well on most systems .. it's a bit picky with regards to its configuration, but once configured correctly it works well.

It's due to go into public Beta next month ...

A year from now and it will be the preferred boot=loader, it's being developed by the same team responsible for Lilu, WhatEverGreen, AppleALC ..etc and at some stage they will be dropping support for Clover as they move everything over to OpenCore support.

Some good info and config guide here :-

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey

ugh.. start over agin with opencore thought about it but it took years to just barely understand clover..

but another spaghetti development hopefully it wont be.. clovers biggest issue is that it breaks more than it fixes from update to update..

that is why I was on el cap forever.. once i got it dialed in it was more reliable than an actual mac, and I have 2, but every time I do a new install with clover, especially with new hardware.. its a month long escapade of poking around poorly documented stuff trying to get it to work

@dragonmel,

Thanks for the update .....

I seem to remember that early Intel boards with UEFI support where notoriously finicky ...
So it's possible that is part of the problem ...

I used to have an old Intel DZ77BH-55K motherboard and it never worked well with UEFI.
I think it was just around the time when UEFI was hitting mainstream ...
I ditched it and replaced it with a Gigabyte mobo back in the day which was way more stable.

I would still leave Lilu + WEG installed, it does a lot of checks and makes sure the GPU is configured correctly.

You may want to take a look at the New OpenCore bootloader ...

Like Clover its a complete EFI emulation/shell but is a new start building on what worked well in Clover and ditching a lot of the baggage ... (of which Clover has a lot of) It's still in Alpha but works well on most systems .. it's a bit picky with regards to its configuration, but once configured correctly it works well.

It's due to go into public Beta next month ...

A year from now and it will be the preferred boot=loader, it's being developed by the same team responsible for Lilu, WhatEverGreen, AppleALC ..etc and at some stage they will be dropping support for Clover as they move everything over to OpenCore support.

Some good info and config guide here :-

Cheers
Jay

.. start over agin with opencore thought about it but it took years to just barely understand clover... but another spaghetti development hopefully it wont be.. clovers biggest issue is that it breaks more than it fixes from update to update..

@dragonmel,

I know what you mean .... the official documentation for OpenCore (OC) whilst being very detailed is not really targeted for beginners/novices and can seem quite daunting up on first reading. There are a few more-user-friendly guides starting to spring up on line (such as the one i linked above) but they currently lack fine details on OC IMO.

Many of the Mods (including myself) here at TMx86 have been testing OC to get familiar with it and we hope to have our own OC guide up soon once OC goes into the public beta phase next month ... there are also several OC configuration and migration tools in development which should also be available around the same time.

The thing with OC is that it does force you to streamline your config to the bare minimum, and whilst this can be a pain initially ... it results in a far cleaner and more native MacOS experience and exposes some of the unnecessary bloat that has crept into Clover over the last few years.

Cheers
Jay

@dragonmel,

I know what you mean .... the official documentation for OpenCore (OC) whilst being very detailed is not really targeted for beginners/novices and can seem quite daunting up on first reading. There are a few more-user-friendly guides starting to spring up on line (such as the one i linked above) but they currently lack fine details on OC IMO.

Many of the Mods (including myself) here at TMx86 have been testing OC to get familiar with it and we hope to have our own OC guide up soon once OC goes into the public beta phase next month ... there are also several OC configuration and migration tools in development which should also be available around the same time.

The thing with OC is that it does force you to streamline your config to the bare minimum, and whilst this can be a pain initially ... it results in a far cleaner and more native MacOS experience and exposes some of the unnecessary bloat that has crept into Clover over the last few years.

Cheers
Jay

we'll looks like I have power the AM so work will continue..

I think what this community needs is what was half heartedly started over on another board... a well kept and verified database, like an expert system, that keeps track of major components, motherboards, cpu, GPU, etc

you click on say a motherboard, then clover, OC, then it tells you which patches/drivers needed, verified working status, etc..

the boards are a vast, un-orginzed wasteland of mostly unusable information.. takes far to long to find answers.

read the OC documentation and its still quite superficial..

for me its not about just getting OS X to run.. it needs to run well, power management native, start up, shut down and sleep, etc.

every couple years between builds I forget half of what I figured out and its like starting from scratch... checking to ensure the proper system kexts are loading, dependencies properly linking so that those kexts are doing what they are supposed to do.. etc.

I did more reading last night.. and I found an article that talked about UEFI standards, apples use of a firmware update partition, and the fact that firmware updates are now bundled with OS X updates and if pre-checks determine, will install firmware and SMC etc updates as part of the upgrade/update process.

I still think that due to the specific order I did things and brining my old config.plist in and not updating it prior to doing a OS X point update, that it attempted and succeeded at pushing code into my board, and that is likely that link that never went away .. the install preboot from preboot... and the presence in my EFI/APPLE folder of 3 folders including multi updaters and lots of firmware updates...

open core will hopefully mature into a cleaner more versatile version of clover

not knocking any of the dev's or tools that they write.. the hackintoshing community has been a great experience since 2005 and I applaud everyones hard work.. certainly their contributions and skills are greater than what the rest of us are capable of!!

just make it more self-service friendly!!!

Back