Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

The value of "12" for the pipe i got from @rehabmans HDMI audio guide and the flag value of "06" i got from a system where HDMI was already working ....

You could try changing the "pipe" to 12 on both the HDMI and DVI port and set the HDMI flag value to "06" as for the flag value of your DVI port .. I cant help you that ..

Cheers
Jay

Managed to get it to work after checking comments in some boards from @rehabmans and multiple tries.
I had to change my SMBIOS to Mac 14,3, now even the VDA Decoder says "fully supported" and had to switch the HDMI to the main display (2560x1440) and the DVI to the secondary display (2560x1080).
But a new issue showed up and I don't even know how to search online if anyone has it.

Let me show you with the attachment.
My secondary screen is showing only part of the image on screen. If I take a screenshot of the screen itself the full picture comes out. I tried to force other resolutions but to no end.
Not even sure why its only showing a partial image, because if I pull the HDMI cable out he will start showing the full image with no issue. Only with both screens he does this.

Have you ever seen a case like this or have an idea on what can cause it?
thanks for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• IMG_9406.jpg
    IMG_9406.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 129
My secondary screen is showing only part of the image on screen. If I take a screenshot of the screen itself the full picture comes out. I tried to force other resolutions but to no end.
Not even sure why its only showing a partial image

@AlienHrGig,

As far as I know DVI only supports resolutions higher than 1080P in dual link mode :-

You could try enabling that in clover configurator :-

Screenshot 2019-05-24 at 00.06.41.png

It may help ...

Cheers
Jay

@AlienHrGig,

As far as I know DVI only supports resolutions higher than 1080P in dual link mode :-

You could try enabling that in clover configurator :-

It may help ...

Cheers
Jay

It's on by default, that's why he works ok if I have a single screen connected. Issue only starts with two screens connected. I'm going to try and figure it out. If something comes to you please tell me. If the plist from clover can help as well I can attach it.

It's on by default, that's why he works ok if I have a single screen connected. Issue only starts with two screens connected. I'm going to try and figure it out. If something comes to you please tell me. If the plist from clover can help as well I can attach it.

@AlienHrGig,

You are exceeding the maximum resolution that the HD 4600 IGPU can support, according to the specs :-

The maximum resolution supported by the HD 4600 is 3840 x 2160 if you have multiple screens then the maximum resolution must be shared between them ...

Thats why when you unplug the HDMI the DVI display can go full screen ...

The only way you could get both screens to run full screen is to lower the output resolution on each of them.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@AlienHrGig,

You are exceeding the maximum resolution that the HD 4600 IGPU can support, according to the specs :-

The maximum resolution supported by the HD 4600 is 3840 x 2160 if you have multiple screens then the maximum resolution must be shared between them ...

Thats why when you unplug the HDMI the DVI display can go full screen ...

The only way you could get both screens to run full screen is to lower the output resolution on each of them.

Cheers
Jay

Jay, you are the man.

Thank you for all the help.
Managed to get them working, after multiple rounds and tries I started to do the math thanks to your comment that I was exceeding the resolution and understood that I would need to get 2560+1280 to reach the peak 3840 and 1440+720 to reach the peak of 2160 from the total resolution. Because as I was I was exceeding 20% of the resolution and losing literally 20% of the display. But lowering the resolution would get my image scrambled and out of sync in the refresh rate, so it made me think that I must be on the same rendering channel because I found on intel's website that Haswell supports 3 screens at the same time. So fidling with options made me realise that the pipes are exactly that. Since Hackintool reports 3 pipes 3 connectors.

So I went back to when you told me to change the pipes. I changed one display to pipe 8 and one to pipe 9. This together with switching to iMac 14,3 SMBIOS and changing the HDMI cable to the higher resolution screen and the DVI to HDMI to the lower one made the magic happen.

Just leaving my testimony in case anyone runs into the same issue.
And of course to thank you for the great guide and all the help.

The final result:

Attachments

• IMG_9431.jpg
    IMG_9431.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 135
@HackintoshNoobie,

iMac 14,2 SMBIOS is for Haswell CPU based systems ... the SMBIOS used dictates which CPU and IGPU extension MacOS use so you should really consider switching to iMac17,1 SMBIOS which is the only one optimised for SkyLake CPU's/IGPU.

Skylake has quite a few extra CPU instruction sets and IGPU extensions over Haswell so you are probably not getting the full potential of your CPU/IGPU when running MacOS with iMac14,2 SMBIOS on a SkyLake CPU.

Yes certainly on all the systems i've set up (and those users i've helped here) IGPU is normally pegged when using "PlugInType 1" for native CPU/IGPU Power Management.

You should be using "SSDT-XCPM.aml" hot patch to enable PlugIn Type 1 for power Management ?, if not try the putting the attached in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched" ... and make sure to disable CPU "P" states and "C" states in Clover if enabled.

Cheers
Jay

Hey Jay, I'm back at trying to get my Dual GPU running smoothly with Quicktime and H264 playback etc.

Here's what I've done since last time:

-changed to 17,1 SMBIOS definition. rebooted, logged back into icloud, everything seems working as before
- added that SSDT-XCPM.aml patch to the folder you mentioned. verified that P AND C states are disabled.

I rebooted, and it seems the same as before (Intel power gadget confirms, GPU is not pegged). I don't think something is quite right on my setup. What files or debug logs could I attach to have you take a look? Perhaps I have an old fix that got my 14,2 SMBIOS running still in there that's messing my setup up.

I tried following this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-native-cpu-igpu-power-management.222982/ but didn't do this step: "GPU: All Systems/Clover/config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches/Item 0/Intel GPU PM- Rename GFX0 to IGPU" as i do have discrete and IGPU.. so to me it didnt make sense to do that when i do really want both working? hope that makes sense.

Thankful for your help.

Cheers

Is there anyone with more experience with clover/hackintool/WEG/otherwise able to help me to
force a display to be considered internal AND/OR force not a Television?

I tried DarwinDumper/FixEDID method but it had no effect, and read that others had the same issue where a 3840x* display was deemed a television regardless.

Goal is to enable Nightshift on:
Acer xr382cqk 38" 3840x1600 24:10 monitor(only display),
connected via Displayport to a Radeon VII (Working great otherwise).
iMac 18,3 smbios with iGPU headless working.
Location services enabled.
other details: AsusZ370-I/8700k/3e920003 ig-platform-id/vanilla 10.14.5

I have this in system pref/display: (No Nightshift, display represented as a TV, no resolutions)

And in System info: (note - Television: Yes)

IOService:

Goal is to enable Nightshift on:
Acer xr382cqk 38" 3840x1600 24:10 monitor(only display),
connected via Displayport to a Radeon VII (Working great otherwise).

@arpaterson,

I take it you have already tried installing Lilu + NightShiftUnlocker as detailed in the Other plugins chapter of the guide ?

Your post does not make this clear ....

Cheers
Jay

changed to 17,1 SMBIOS definition. rebooted, logged back into icloud, everything seems working as before, added that SSDT-XCPM.aml patch to the folder you mentioned. verified that P AND C states are disabled.

@HackintoshNoobie,

iMac 17,1 is the correct SMBIOS to use for a Skylake CPU based system, and the use of the X86PlatformPlugin via the SSDT-XCPM.aml hot patch should be all that is required to enable Native CPU Power management in MacOS.

What files or debug logs could I attach to have you take a look? Perhaps I have an old fix that got my 14,2 SMBIOS running still in there that's messing my setup up.

As per the sites FAQ, if you require help you most supply the Proper Problem Reporting Files (PPRF) using the debug tool detailed in this post :-

Intel GPU PM- Rename GFX0 to IGPU" as i do have discrete and IGPU.. so to me it didnt make sense to do that when i do really want both working? hope that makes sense

In most instances WhatEverGreen will take care of the ACPI device re-names so there is no need to specify them in your config.plist unless you have a specific case like the dGPU being in the wrong slot, you can check that the renames are being done by using IORegistryExplorer :-

Which you need installed in any case in-order to generate the PPRF's detailed above ...

Cheers
Jay

@arpaterson,

I take it you have already tried installing Lilu + NightShiftUnlocker as detailed in the Other plugins chapter of the guide ?

Your post does not make this clear ....

Cheers
Jay

Yes I have tried placing nightshiftunlocker in /l/e and also /s/l/e (with kextutility)
*all my other kexts including latest Lilu are installed in /clover/kexts/other.
I had it on my to do list to check what best practice was regarding /c/k/o and /s/l/e and /l/e

Any input appreciated. My understanding up to now was that smbios 18,3 is late enough that nightshift should work, and 10.14.5 should allow it on external displays too. But no cigar.

It did work when this machine was running iGPU only with an older graphics configuration from when I first used an EFI from a guide, perhaps InjectIntel, I dont remember now and tbh i didnt understand it back then.

Back