Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

@asheenlevrai,

Internal Graphics should be set to Enabled in the BIOS settings ...

Cheers
Jay
My bad. Sorry I must not be getting enough sleep or something. I keep on making typos.

Of course I meant enabled.
Otherwise the two following settings are not available.

Sorry for the confusion.
Best,
-a-

My bad. Sorry I must not be getting enough sleep or something. I keep on making typos...Sorry for the confusion.

@asheenlevrai,

I've had a look at your config.plist and the device properties look ok for the IGPU.

The only thing that i would comment on is that you have no ACPI patches (fixes and property renames)

I seem to remember someone else with a Gigabyte motherboard from a while back having similar issues with the IGPU and he too had no ACPI fixes or device renames in his config.plist.

I suspect that you need to work on patching your DSDT with ACPI fixes and device renames via Clover.

You need to dump your ACPI tables (Press F4 when in Clover) and then disassemble your DSDT using the method detailed in @RehabMan's guide here :-

Although written for laptops the process is exactly the same for desktops. Work through that guide till you reach the section titled "Fixing Errors".

Once you have your DSDT correctly disassembled. you need to analyse it in MaciASL to find out which patches and renames you need to apply. This requires an understanding of ACPI but one way for a novice to do this is to look at the available pre-configured ACPI renames in Clover using the drop down menu.

Screenshot 2019-03-31 at 14.02.31.png

Look at each patch/rename one at a time and search for the device name in your DSDT;

For example the first patch in the list is called "Change EHC1 to EH01" so you would search your DSDT for "EHC1" if you find a device method with the same name then you should apply that fix ... work through the list one by one ... only apply a patch if necessary.

Alternatively try searching the forum for someone who has all ready been through the process of patching the DSDT for the same motherboard and use his config.plist as the basis for yours and copy your system specific values over to it (S/N, MLB .. ROM .. etc)

Cheers
Jay

@asheenlevrai,

I've had a look at your config.plist and the device properties look ok for the IGPU.

The only thing that i would comment on is that you have no ACPI patches (fixes and property renames)

I seem to remember someone else with a Gigabyte motherboard from a while back having similar issues with the IGPU and he too had no ACPI fixes or device renames in his config.plist.

I suspect that you need to work on patching your DSDT with ACPI fixes and device renames via Clover.

You need to dump your ACPI tables (Press F4 when in Clover) and then disassemble your DSDT using the method detailed in @RehabMan's guide here :-

Although written for laptops the process is exactly the same for desktops. Work through that guide till you reach the section titled "Fixing Errors".

Once you have your DSDT correctly disassembled. you need to analyse it in MaciASL to find out which patches and renames you need to apply. This requires an understanding of ACPI but one way for a novice to do this is to look at the available pre-configured ACPI renames in Clover using the drop down menu.

View attachment 396384

Look at each patch/rename one at a time and search for the device name in your DSDT;

For example the first patch in the list is called "Change EHC1 to EH01" so you would search your DSDT for "EHC1" if you find a device method with the same name then you should apply that fix ... work through the list one by one ... only apply a patch if necessary.

Alternatively try searching the forum for someone who has all ready been through the process of patching the DSDT for the same motherboard and use his config.plist as the basis for yours and copy your system specific values over to it (S/N, MLB .. ROM .. etc)

Cheers
Jay
I'm not familiar with acpi or dsdt but I'll try my best understanding RehabMan's guide. They are usually above my pay grade

I'm not familiar with acpi or dsdt but I'll try my best understanding RehabMan's guide. They are usually above my pay grade

@asheenlevrai,

Learning how to patch your DSDT and modifying ACPI code is an important and extremely rewarding exercise, yes it can seem complicated at first but its well worth the effort and will reward you with becoming more proficient at running MacOS on non Apple hardware in the future.

Clover has made applying ACPI fixes much more easy as it does it dynamically so there is generally no need for static DSDT patching except on laptops where battery methods need patching (but even that can be done dynamically using SSDT hot patches).

Just take your time to learn and understand what your doing ...

Cheers
Jay

Just before I start reading about DSDTs, I have a couple quesrtions:

- Will any of this help me about my iGPU issues? Or is it mainly for power management and similar features?
- Does "static DSDT patching" means using a custom DSDT file somewhere (into the EFI partition?) while "dynamic DSDT patching" means using the proper settings in Clover Configurator (no need to generate a custom file)? Or is it different from that?

Thanks again for your support :)

Best,
-a-

Just before I start reading about DSDTs, I have a couple quesrtions:

- Will any of this help me about my iGPU issues? Or is it mainly for power management and similar features?
- Does "static DSDT patching" means using a custom DSDT file somewhere (into the EFI partition?) while "dynamic DSDT patching" means using the proper settings in Clover Configurator (no need to generate a custom file)? Or is it different from that?

@asheenlevrai,

Yes, correctly patching your DSDT should help you with your IGPU issues ...
There are several ACPI patches in Clover that relate to the IGPU.

Static Patching = making physical changes to the code in a copy of the DSDT and then substituting the native DSDT with the patched one.

Dynamic (or Hot) Patching = The changes are made to the Native DSDT during boot using Clover, SSDT hot patches and Lilu + plug-in's.

The advantage of Dynamic patching is that you don't have to re-patch the DSDT each time you change something in the BIOS or after a BIOS update and is now generally regarded as the preferred method.

If you run into problems and need help please post in the correct thread as DSDT patching is off-topic for this thread.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@jaymonkey

Thanks so much for writing up this guide. I know its a PITA and it takes a ton of time, but this is EXACTLY what i needed. I spent hours going through other threads where there was so much conflicting info, and no-one seemed to have my exact setup.

I followed your guide and got my iGPU running after running without it for 2.5 years lol. My export time went from 37min to under 6min.

I got curious as my new 2018mbp did it in 6min and change so thats what caused me to start researching and learning about quick sync.

I kept my 14,2 definition since i had imessage and everything working. Also i didn't realize this but the Bruce X 5K test isnt H264 heavy at all so that score wont change really. The Intel Widget was helpful to learn when the iGPU was getting used.

anyhow. thanks again.

Now onto getting the USB ports all working as they really should.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for writing up this guide. I know its a PITA and it takes a ton of time, but this is EXACTLY what i needed. I spent hours going through other threads where there was so much conflicting info, and no-one seemed to have my exact setup.

I followed your guide and got my iGPU running after running without it for 2.5 years lol. My export time went from 37min to under 6min.

@HackintoshNoobie,

Thanks for the feed back ... i'm glad you found the guide helpful and managed to get your IGPU working in headless mode (i assume). It is amazing what a difference it can make to the performance of MacOS when configured correctly.

Good luck with your USB patching ...

Cheers
Jay

@HackintoshNoobie,

Thanks for the feed back ... i'm glad you found the guide helpful and managed to get your IGPU working in headless mode (i assume). It is amazing what a difference it can make to the performance of MacOS when configured correctly.

Good luck with your USB patching ...

Cheers
Jay

No worries. Hey so my export time went down for H264 heavy clips to a level that i would expect. I just noticed today however that Quicktime playback on H264 got a little choppy. VLC plays the clip fine but doesn't use iGPU (based on intel widget). Any idea how i can get quicktime playback smooth again?

cheers

No worries. Hey so my export time went down for H264 heavy clips to a level that i would expect. I just noticed today however that Quicktime playback on H264 got a little choppy. VLC plays the clip fine but doesn't use iGPU (based on intel widget). Any idea how i can get quicktime playback smooth again?

@HackintoshNoobie,

Humm not so sure why Quicktime would play back choppy H264 as it should use IQS.

Try using Intel Power Gadget to monitor IGPU .. frequency should always be pegged at max when running in headless mode if it's not then you might need to look at your CPU/IGPU power management ...

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Back