Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

I've tried a bit more with the setting today. And I came to an unexpected result. After reinstalling Lilu and the plugins, creating a new SMBIOS and resetting the DRM settings, DRM now also works via the IntelGPU. I use the same frame buffer as described above. However, I have the SMBIOS set to Mac14.1.

@jaymonkey Is the clock speed of the IntelGPU displayed correctly on your system? For me, the Intel Power Gadget always displays 1.15 GHz.

Last edited:
Is the clock speed of the IntelGPU displayed correctly on your system? For me, the Intel Power Gadget always displays 1.15 GHz.

@blob810,

Yes thats normal behaviour (Pegged at max IGPU clock rate) when you have the IGPU configured as headless .
Absolutely no need for IGPU throttling on dual GPU desktop systems such as iMac. The IGPU does not generate much heat or need much power to run at max speed .. throttling only really needed on mobile (laptop) systems to help preserve the battery.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Hello! I have two video cards UHD630 (i7-8700) and Radeon 580 I managed to run all the support and fast coding on h.264 through uhd630. But at the same time, the playback of two or more cameras on the timeline of fcpx is very slow. When I turn off the UHD630, everything becomes smooth but very slow encoding. I tried to configure encoding only through radeon 580 and it worked out, but slower than with uhd630 and with green artifacts in the picture. Is it possible to make the Radeon used for output to the monitor and playback, and the UHD630 to encode h.264 Or maybe you can somehow switch them without rebooting? OS Mojave 14.4

the playback of two or more cameras on the timeline of fcpx is very slow. When I turn off the UHD630, everything becomes smooth but very slow encoding. I tried to configure encoding only through radeon 580 and it worked out, but slower than with uhd630 and with green artifacts in the picture.

@J197978,

FCPX can be quite picky about which GPU it want's to use for decode and encode ... in general it will tend to use IGPU for H264 unless a Vega dGPU is installed in which case FCPX will only use Vega ... unfortunately i don't know of a method to decode on one GPU and encode on anther, FCPX seems to want to manage things itself. I've read of similar issues on real Mac's on FCPX and AV forums.

Not the answer you looking for I'm sure ... but thats about all I know on the subject.

Cheers
Jay

@J197978,

FCPX can be quite picky about which GPU it want's to use for decode and encode ... in general it will tend to use IGPU for H264 unless a Vega dGPU is installed in which case FCPX will only use Vega ... unfortunately i don't know of a method to decode on one GPU and encode on anther, FCPX seems to want to manage things itself. I've read of similar issues on real Mac's on FCPX and AV forums.

Not the answer you looking for I'm sure ... but thats about all I know on the subject.

Cheers
Jay

Maybe there is a command for the terminal to disable and enable igpu?. The main thing that would not have to reboot.

Maybe there is a command for the terminal to disable and enable igpu?. The main thing that would not have to reboot.

@J197978,

Unfortunately it's not possible as far as i know ....

Cheers
Jay

Hey all,

I followed RepoMan's guide for installing Mojave on a NUC 8 and it's working ALMOST flawlessly --I get the HDCP error when playing HD content in iTunes.

I tried shikis 1, 57, and 60 to no avail

I also ran the code suggested in terminal to reset the DRMs, but got error messages. I restarted, but still no video.

Has anyone else had success with those methods and might be able to tell me what I'm doing wrong? Or perhaps has anyone discovered another way around those dreaded DRMs?

Thanks!

Hey all,

I followed RepoMan's guide for installing Mojave on a NUC 8 and it's working ALMOST flawlessly --I get the HDCP error when playing HD content in iTunes.

I tried shikis 1, 57, and 60 to no avail

I also ran the code suggested in terminal to reset the DRMs, but got error messages. I restarted, but still no video.

Has anyone else had success with those methods and might be able to tell me what I'm doing wrong? Or perhaps has anyone discovered another way around those dreaded DRMs?

Thanks!

This is on the Github page of Whatevergreen:

Starting with 10.12 on Ivy Bridge and newer viewing HD movies on iTunes is not possible without a discrete card.

I am currently trying to setup the iGPU of the following rig as headless:

- GA-Z68AP-D3
- i7 3770K (HD4000)
- Radeon HD 7850 (HIS IceqX, 2GB gDDR5)
- 4x 4GB DDR3 1333
- 512GB sATA SSD (Crucial)

Currently running 10.14.4 as iMac13,2

Lilu 1.3.5 and WEG 1.2.7 in /S/L

Current BIOS settings:
- Init Display First: PEG (Auto/IGFX/PEG/PCI)
- Internal Graphics: disabled (Auto/Enabled/Disabled)
- Internal Graphics Memory Size: NA (tried 64M and 128M)
- DVMT Total Memory Size: NA (tried 128M and MAX)

Whenever I enable the iGPU I get the following KP:

If I set to both Init Display First and Internal Graphics to Auto, then it boots but the iGPU is disabled.

Any idea how to proceed?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Best,
-a-

Last edited:
I am currently trying to setup the iGPU of the following rig as headless:

- GA-Z87-HD3
- i7 4770K (HD4000)

Current BIOS settings:
- Init Display First: PEG (Auto/IGFX/PEG/PCI)
- Internal Graphics: disabled (Auto/Enabled/Disabled)
- Internal Graphics Memory Size: NA (tried 64M and 128M)
- DVMT Total Memory Size: NA (tried 64M, 128M and MAX)

Whenever I enable the iGPU I get the following KP:

If I set to both Init Display First and Internal Graphics to Auto, then it boots but the iGPU is disabled.

Any idea how to proceed?

@asheenlevrai,

Set the BIOS options:
  • Init Display First to PEG
  • Internal Graphics to Enabled
  • DVMT Total Memory Size to 64M
Use PlatformID 0x41200000B in Hackingtool (as per the headless example in the guide)
Configure system with iMac15,1 SMBIOS

Thats how I have my i7 4790K configured and it works like a charm ....

Cheers
Jay

Back