Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

I am unable to get Netflix or iTunes to play videos with Lilu + Whatevergreen. I have an i73770K with HD 4000 with a GTX 760 card. I have set my platform ID to be headerless and have changed the SMBIOS to iMac 13,2 (which fixed quicklook/preview issues I was having).

I have tried various combinations of the shikivga boot argument in the guide with no success.
Most of the times iTunes crashes, sometimes it's just a black screen. Netflix usually takes me to the help page, but sometimes it will play but be a green screen.

Any help would be appreciated. As far as I can tell, this is the only thing I can't get working on my build.

@Hackmodford,

Getting DRM working on a hack can sometimes be simple :) and sometimes feel like its impossible :banghead:

Everything I know about DRM is in the guide so there's not much else I can suggest.
I don't know why DRM is so 'picky' on some hacks it just works OOB on others not so.

The only thing I can offer for you to investigate is to make sure that iMessage is working ok, iMessage requires that all critical system id's (S/N, MLB, ROM .. etc) are valid and pass Apple's verification process in order for the security tokens to be passed between Apples servers and your hack, iTunes uses some of those server->client security layers which may dictate if DRM works or not .. just a theory but worth a look.

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey

iMessage works okay. To be fair, I have never been able to get DRM working on this build. It's just a major bummer because everything else seems to work perfectly...
Same here :(

I tried to use the whatevergreen/liu combo using the most recent releases of both kext. And got that black screen problem again. The mixure of all those kexts whatevergrenn is claiming to replace is what is working for me.

@tallinn,

It should be possible to resolve the issue, thousands of people are using Lilu + WhatEverGreen.
If the problem is with Lilu or a Plug-in it is usually due to one of the following reasons :-
  • Lilu is not crossed linked with the plugin's (one compiled against the other)
  • Lilu or a Plug-in is not installed correctly
  • Lilu or a Plug-in is corrupted
Recommend following repair procedure :-
  • Delete Lilu and all Plug-in's form /L/E
  • Re-download latest release version of Lilu + all Plug-in's
  • Re-Install Lilu and all Plug-in's using the method outlined in the guide.
However the black screen makes things tricky to debug, first you need to know if all the kexts are loading, if you have another hack or real mac you could try to "share screen" to it over a network and run some diagnostics to find if any kexts are failing to load. If that does not work you could SSH into terminal and run some debug from there.

If you want any further help please post Problem Reporting Files :-

Cheers
Jay

I generated problem reporting files and attached it here. Can someone please help me to find my issues with DRM?

Attachments

• debug_5871.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
Headless IGPU Configuration

If your primary display adaptor is a DGPU such as Nvidia or AMD and you have a supported IGPU then using a headless PlatformID will allow your Hackingtosh system to be more stable and behave much more like a genuine Mac with access to IGPU hardware accelerated features.. Use of this mode requires that the IGPU is enabled in your BIOS and that the DGPU is set as the primary display adaptor, you must also use the correct Mac System Definition (SMBIOS) that supports dual GPU configurations and matches your CPU & IGPU type.
Excuse my ignorance but I don't know how to do that (red part).
I thought that enabling the iGPU was the same as setting it as primary display adapter.

Can you please enlighten me a bit.

Best,
-a-

Excuse my ignorance but I don't know how to do that (red part).I thought that enabling the iGPU was the same as setting it as primary display adapter.

Can you please enlighten me a bit.

@asheenlevrai,

Different BIOS's use different wording and terminology but the process is the same.
  • Enable the IGPU in the BIOS.
  • Set the dGPU to the primary display adapter.
On some Motherboards (such as my ASRock Z98 Extreme 6) you have to use an option called multi-monitor support, with this set to on both the IGPU & dGPU are enabled then I set the primary display adapter to the dGPU.

Check your Motherboards BIOS manual for the correct options.

Once the BIOS is configured correctly install Lilu + WhatEverGreen and configure IGPU with headless PlatformID as detailed in the guide.

Cheers
Jay

@asheenlevrai,
On some Motherboards (such as my ASRock Z98 Extreme 6) you have to use an option called multi-monitor support, with this set to on both the IGPU & dGPU are enabled then I set the primary display adapter to the dGPU.
I believe it's the same on my asus prime z3x0-a :)
Thank you

Hi,

A quick question about headless mode:
- On my z370-a/z390-a builds, I have UHD630 working OOTB as the main GPU. Then when I add the dGPU (rx590), macOS only detects the rx590 in System Reports and I suffer from the preview/jpeg issue.
The solution apparently is to enable UHD630 and configure it as headless. Fine...

- Now on my z97-a builds, I have HD4600 configured to work properly. Then when I add the dGPU (rx590), macOS detects both HD4600 and the rx590 (as rx480 though) in System Reports and I don't suffer from the preview/jpeg issue.
HD4600 is not configured as headless.

I don't understand the difference between the 2 configurations. SYMBIOS? something else?

Thank you very much in advance for your feedback.
Best,
-a-

Last edited:
I don't understand the difference between the 2 configurations. SYMBIOS? something else?

@asheenlevrai,

As it states in the guide ..... if the IGPU does not show up in System Report but it is in the ioreg then the IGPU is configured as Headless.

If both the IGPU & dGPU show up in System Report then the IGPU is running as an active display adapter (IE not Headless) and although it works on some configurations this mode is not recommended as no genuine desktop Macs are actually configured this way.

Cheers
Jay

Back