Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

@dgs57,

Did you see post #233 above ?

Cheers
Jay
no Jay, I was referring to your suggestion as per message no. 226
Later I try with those of the msg n. 233
for IGPU I mean internal (intel HD4600 / HD530) and for EGPU enhanced (gtx1050ti / gtx1070) both connected via PCIe 1st slot

Hi Jay,
I tried your post #233 suggestions on the office pc but the result is the same: no acceleration.
later I also try at home and update you
regards
dgs57

Attachments

• debug_32537.zip
    2 MB · Views: 58
  • Schermata 2019-02-05 alle 18.28.05.png
    Schermata 2019-02-05 alle 18.28.05.png
    92.7 KB · Views: 69
Hi Jay,
just to inform you that I made the changes indicate me even on the home pc but unfortunately without success.
thank you
dgs57

Attachments

• Schermata 2019-02-05 alle 21.08.42.png
    Schermata 2019-02-05 alle 21.08.42.png
    245.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Schermata 2019-02-05 alle 21.09.46.png
    Schermata 2019-02-05 alle 21.09.46.png
    376.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Schermata 2019-02-05 alle 21.10.07.png
    Schermata 2019-02-05 alle 21.10.07.png
    186.1 KB · Views: 71
for IGPU I mean internal (intel HD4600 / HD530) and for EGPU enhanced (gtx1050ti / gtx1070) both connected via PCIe 1st slot

@dgs57,

The term eGPU normally refers to an External GPU connected to the PC via Thunderbolt 3, for a Nvidia or AMD GPU installed internally in the PC on the PCIe bus we use the term dGPU which stands for Discrete GPU, best to use the correct term from now on so as not to confuse others.

I tried your post #233 suggestions on the office pc but the result is the same: no acceleration.

I made the changes indicate me even on the home pc but unfortunately without success.

Hummm ... ok understood .... i'll take another look at your config files and see if i can spot anything else, I'm a bit busy today but will get back to you as soon as I can.

Cheers
Jay

@dgs57,

The term eGPU normally refers to an External GPU connected to the PC via Thunderbolt 3, for a Nvidia or AMD GPU installed internally in the PC on the PCIe bus we use the term dGPU which stands for Discrete GPU, best to use the correct term from now on so as not to confuse others.

Hummm ... ok understood .... i'll take another look at your config files and see if i can spot anything else, I'm a bit busy today but will get back to you as soon as I can.

Cheers
Jay

thanks for the clarification between eGPU and dGPU; I did not know.
and thanks always for your availability.
dgs75

Important: Always use the correct System Definition (SMBIOS) for the selected PlatformID, Hackingtool will in many cases display the recommended SMBIOS in the lower section of the General tab. Use of a non matching PlatformID and System Definition (SMBIOS) can result in abnormal MacOS behaviour.

Note: There are a few PlatformID's where Hackingtool will not list any recommend System Definitions (SMBIOS) or show "Unknown" next to "Model(s)" in the lower section of the General tab, this means that there are no matching Mac Models using that combination of CPU, IGPU & PlatformID however the IGPU PlatformID is still valid and should work. If possible I recommend selecting an alternative PlatformID that has a framebuffer that matches your IGPU and also has a recommended/matching System Definition (SMBIOS).

View attachment 362188View attachment 362189
If you can't find a PlatformID that matches your IGPU with a recommended System Definition (SMBIOS) it does not mean that things wont work, it just means that you'll have to take your best guess at finding the nearest matching SMBIOS to your Hackintosh hardware, a good tool that can help you make this decision is MacTracker or use Post#2 of @headkaze's guide.

Hi,

Using Hackingtool to determine the best PlatformID for my iGPU (no dGPU), I have the choice between 2 PlatformIDs: The first one has no recommended System Definition (SMBIOS) but is close to my hardware according to Post#2 of @headkaze's guide (Desktop 3 connectors, while I'm on desktop with 4 connectors : DP, HDMI, DVI, VGA). Now, the other one recommends a different System Definition (iMac15,1 instead of iMac14,2) but is a Desktop 0 connector PlatformID according to Post#2 of @headkaze's guide.

Which option would you recommend?

Tx
-a-

It's seems like I'm stuck to 1080p no matter what. I cannot get higher resolutions (2K or 4K).
I'm on DP on HD 4600
:(

I have the choice between 2 PlatformIDs: The first one has no recommended System Definition (SMBIOS) but is close to my hardware according to Post#2 of @headkaze's guide (Desktop 3 connectors, while I'm on desktop with 4 connectors : DP, HDMI, DVI, VGA). Now, the other one recommends a different System Definition (iMac15,1 instead of iMac14,2) but is a Desktop 0 connector PlatformID according to Post#2 of

@asheenlevrai,

The Desktop 0 PlatformID will be a headless one so don't use that. Use the other one ...

I'm guessing this is on your Haswell i7 4770K system ?

If so the correct PlatformID to use for HD 4600 will be 04160000 and use SMBIOS 15,1 you can add the fourth port using @CaseySJ's excellent guide on framebuffer patching.

You need to remember that the HD 4600 IGPU was never meant to drive 4K displays as they simply did not exist at the time Haswell was released, however I believe that it is possible to get it to work but you maybe limited to 30Hz.

Have you applied the -cdfon boot argument and the 2GB VRAM patch ? as detailed in the 4K section of the guide.

I think MacOS caps HD 4600 at 1080P so you may need to manually patch the Azul framebuffer :-

Code:
<dict>
    <key>Comment</key>
    <string>framebuffer4K</string>
    <key>Find</key>
    <data>
    AwAiDQADAwMAAAACAAAwAQ==
    </data>
    <key>Name</key>
    <string>AppleIntelFramebufferAzul</string>
    <key>Replace</key>
    <data>
    AwAiDQADAwMAAAAEAAAAAw==
    </data>
</dict>

Cheers
Jay

@asheenlevrai,

The Desktop 0 PlatformID will be a headless one so don't use that. Use the other one ...

Tx a lot.
jaymonkey said:
I'm guessing this is on your Haswell i7 4770K system ?

If so the correct PlatformID to use for HD 4600 will be 04160000 and use SMBIOS 15,1 you can add the fourth port using @CaseySJ's excellent guide on framebuffer patching.

Actually not exactly. It's for a 4790K. A rig similar to my "barney"* signature build but without the GTX 980. I cannot put more than 5 builds in my signature and I tried to minimize redundancy. I now fixed my signature so it is closer to the real thing (rx 590s are not an option, yet). Both our 4770K-based builds were recently moved to Win10...

(*I change those names all the time so in the future "barney" may refer to a different rig.)

Why would I need/want to add the 4th port since it's a VGA port? It's unsupported anyway, right? And I'm never gonna use a VGA connector again, I hope... ;)

jaymonkey said:
You need to remember that the HD 4600 IGPU was never meant to drive 4K displays as they simply did not exist at the time Haswell was released, however I believe that it is possible to get it to work but you maybe limited to 30Hz.

Damn... We'll see. It works well on Win10 though. But we know that already...

jaymonkey said:
Have you applied the -cdfon boot argument and the 2GB VRAM patch ? as detailed in the 4K section of the guide.

I did! I used hackingtool to generate the patch for 2GB VRAM and copied manually into config.plist as recommended. For the -cdfon parameter I added it via clover configurator.

In the BIOS I put the max value for VRAM (I believe it was 512MB). Was that smart? I was told maybe I should use a lower value... I don't understand how it would affect anything since 2GB will now be dedicated anyway by the OS

jaymonkey said:
I think MacOS caps HD 4600 at 1080P so you may need to manually patch the Azul framebuffer :-

Code:
<dict>
    <key>Comment</key>
    <string>framebuffer4K</string>
    <key>Find</key>
    <data>
    AwAiDQADAwMAAAACAAAwAQ==
    </data>
    <key>Name</key>
    <string>AppleIntelFramebufferAzul</string>
    <key>Replace</key>
    <data>
    AwAiDQADAwMAAAAEAAAAAw==
    </data>
</dict>

Cheers
Jay

Tx

Is the Azul framebuffer something that was recently merged with WEG ("AzulPatcher4600 --> Specific patches for the Azul framebuffer on HD4600 IGPU") or should I install this one as well? (I don't know how)... I guess the code you provided should be copied into config.plist. In the "devices" section?

Thank you so much for the detailed answers. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into helping me. Like really really :)

Best,
-a-

Last edited:
Have you applied (...) the 2GB VRAM patch ? as detailed in the 4K section of the guide.

Could I set more than 2GB (like 4GB)? Would it help? Total RAM on this rig is 24GB.

Best,
-a-

Back