Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

gotcha...makes sense...at some point that they come out with iMacs with 8th gen CPUs, we might go with an update.

@osufella,

There are no new instructions or features with Coffee lake CPU's, just more cores based on Kaby Lake architecture so using a Kaby lake SMBIOS will not have any negative impact.

When selecting a SMBIOS CPU architecture should be first consideration and GPU secondary, but both should be considered and a balanced decision made. Most users with Coffee lake CPU and AMD GPU are using iMac18,3 SMBIOS.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks so much for the clear and detailed explanation of how this all works.
I was about to dig in and double check a few of my settings but before doing so I double checked my current setup.
I'm running mojave on a kabylake with a RX580. I have IGPU turned on in bios per instructions and I'm using 18.3 SMBIOS.
Here's what I'm confused by. I don't have either lilu or whatevergreen loaded and yet I'm seeing correct performance and status from my "headless" configuration. I checked using that videoproc app and ran a couple tests in final cut pro x to be sure.
I would have thought I would need those kexts loaded along with the platform ID settings from your guide.
Why is it working if I have none of those things? or is it not actually working and I'm getting a false positive on the app status?
Thanks for any guidance.

Here's what I'm confused by. I don't have either lilu or whatevergreen loaded and yet I'm seeing correct performance and status from my "headless" configuration. I checked using that videoproc app and ran a couple tests in final cut pro x to be sure.

@davidweb02,

Its possible that your hardware is a very good match to the iMac18,3 SMBIOS which would attempt to default to a headless PlatformID as its for a dual GPU iMac system, however this is very rare and you should check the value of AAPL,ig-platform-id of the IGPU in the ioreg which will confirm if it is really using the correct value.

You have not completed your profile with the details of your system so I am unable to offer any further advice on what values you should be seeing. Please complete your build signature profile with the specs of your system as per the sites guide lines/rules, see the Profiles section of the rules for more information :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/rules/

Once you have completed your Profile and want further help then please generate problem reporting files ...
See this thread for more info :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/tool-generate-proper-problem-reporting-files.235953/

We can then check things for you and find out why/if what you state is correct.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@osufella,

There are no new instructions or features with Coffee lake CPU's, just more cores based on Kaby Lake architecture so using a Kaby lake SMBIOS will not have any negative impact.

When selecting a SMBIOS CPU architecture should be first consideration and GPU secondary, but both should be considered and a balanced decision made. Most users with Coffee lake CPU and AMD GPU are using iMac18,3 SMBIOS.

Cheers
Jay

Updated and everything looks like it should be. Thanks for the help.

Its possible that your hardware is a very good match to the iMac18,3 SMBIOS which would attempt to default to a headless PlatformID as its for a dual GPU iMac system, however this is very rare and you should check the value of AAPL,ig-platform-id of the IGPU in the ioreg which will confirm if it is really using the correct value.

Looks like I got lucky. I used IOReg and searched for IGPU. It turned up the correct AAPL number (in reverse order) and correctly listed the model as Intel HD Graphics 630. So as you suggested, I'm guessing the hardware is just very similar to what Apple uses in a normal 18,3 era iMac. Because I definitely don't have Lilu or WhateverGreen loaded.

It's a gigabyte x270 ultra gaming motherboard with a Kaby lake i7-7700k and a sapphire RX 580

as you suggested, I'm guessing the hardware is just very similar to what Apple uses in a normal 18,3 era iMac. Because I definitely don't have Lilu or WhateverGreen loaded. It's a gigabyte x270 ultra gaming motherboard with a Kaby lake i7-7700k and a sapphire RX 580

Nice to know ...

Please complete your build profile with more accurate information, just putting i7 does not help anyone ... you need to list Motherboard make and CPU + GPU type in your user profile, you can also add extra info to the lower signature ... take a look at my side profile and lower signature as an example.

Jay

Last edited:
Went through the guide so many times it seems to be fine but can’t get 4K resolution and HDMI audio. Using IGPU intel HD4600. After patch system stucks here “dad complete for no duplicates found”.

Went through the guide everything so many times it seems to be fine but can’t get 4K resolution and HDMI audio. Using IGPU intel HD4600.

@086_naseer,

Did you add the -cdfon boot argument ?

The spec in your side profile shows HD4000 IGPU on Sandy bridge CPU ?
Please update your profile to include the system you want help with .... we are not physic ;)

Cheers
Jay

@086_naseer,

Did you add the -cdfon boot argument ?

The spec in your side profile shows HD4000 IGPU on Sandy bridge CPU ?
Please update your profile to include the system you want help with .... we are not physic ;)

Cheers
Jay
Thanks for reply jay! Yes I add it too. But cant boot into the system with patchched config.plist. I can boot with the old one. I will update my profile later. Using laptop and desktop as well.

Back