Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

So my suggestion, After installing Lilu and AppleALC in order to check if kexts were loaded and also that AppleHDA is loading enter in terminal:
Code:
kextstat | grep 'Lilu\|AppleALC\|AppleHDA'
You should see all three kext in the list.
If you don't see AppleHDA you may have an IRQ conflict. You could try enabling FixHPET from Clover (which also worked for me) but I think you should patch the DSDT with @RehabMan (thank you!) MaciASL "[sys] IRQ Fix" patch.

@buzzvicky,

Thanks for your feedback and your suggestion for debugging the AppleALC and AppleHDA kexts.
I haven't seen that issue myself as the HPET issue is an issue with AppleHDA rather than AppleALC.
However what you suggest makes a lot of sense and i think it could help those with similar issues...
I've added a new section to the bottom of the AppleALC part of the guide that deals with the HPET issue.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Hi Jay,
Thanks for this very clear tutorial. I still have a problem though: in 10.13.1 I can play HEVC 8-bit movies with proper HW acceleration, but in 10.14.2 this stutters and doesn't work right, not in QT, not in VLC, not in preview.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Shuhung said if it works in High Sierra, it will work in Mojave, but not in my case with Skylake/HD530/RX480.

I still have a problem though: in 10.13.1 I can play HEVC 8-bit movies with proper HW acceleration, but in 10.14.2 this stutters and doesn't work right, not in QT, not in VLC, not in preview.

@zipb,

Sorry I have not had any experience with SkyLake CPU's and have not seen this issue myself. I assume that since you have RX480 dGPU that your using a headless PlatformID ?

Intel i7 6700K has HD 530 IGPU so the correct AAPL-platform-id value would be "01001219" (PlatformID = 0x19120001) and the recommended SMBIOS would be iMac 17,1 which according to MacTracker would be the closest match.

You could also try injecting the Device Property "device-id" with a value of "12190000" which may (or may not) help, see Examples Note-1 in the WEG Configuration Continued section of the guide for more info.

If your already using those values then it might be worth posting on the WhatEverGreen thread your specs and see if anyone else with the same CPU/IGPU is also having a similar issue ...

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Can I just use Lilu instead of Clover? Or do you need both.

Can I just use Lilu instead of Clover? Or do you need both.
clover is a bootloader

lilu is a plugin

you will need both as they do different things

@jaymonkey Great information and tutorial, thanks for your efforts. Really helpful!

Wondering if you could provide any insight on how DRM uses the iGPU vs. AMD or Nvidia.

Based on posts here, it seems most users who have AMD/Nvidia are able to get DRM working in Mojave but only by disabling the iGPU.

Doing that though breaks hardware acceleration for things like Final Cut. Enabling the iGPU/hardware acceleration disables DRM. We can’t seem to get both at the same time.

Any thoughts?

Wondering if you could provide any insight on how DRM uses the iGPU vs. AMD or Nvidia. Based on posts here, it seems most users who have AMD/Nvidia are able to get DRM working in Mojave but only by disabling the iGPU.

Doing that though breaks hardware acceleration for things like Final Cut. Enabling the iGPU/hardware acceleration disables DRM. We can’t seem to get both at the same time.

@Scott1204,

Sorry Scott its not a problem that i've personally run into as I don't watch any DRM content on my Hacks although I am aware of the issue and as you say, for a lot of users it does seem to necessitate having to choose between either having QuickSync working with the IGPU Enabled or being able to play DRM content via dGPU with the IGPU disabled.

In the past i think the solution was to use the Shiki Lilu plugin which has since been incorporated into WhatEverGreen ... so that is where i would start ... try working through the Shiki FAQ (its in the WEG Manual) and see if it makes any sense, however its not made clear just what WEG does automatically and what it does not with regards to the Shiki so it might be worth posting on the WhatEverGreen support thread for some advice ...

I don't have any DRM content so i cant really test it myself but if you manage to get somewhere please post back here so we can update the guide and help others ...

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey

Deciphering the IGPU and dGPU are one of my last issues I've been investigating on my new build.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...i3-8350k-ga-h370m-d3h-16gb-ram-rx-570.267682/

I've enable Internal Graphics in BIOS and my DGPU is set as the primary display adapter. My SMBIOS is 14,2. Reviewing IOREG, VideoProc and VDA DecoderChecker, all seems to be what you show as working.

You mention that if I don't use a correct SMBIOS, which I'm assuming "should" be 18,x, I might see an unstable system. Right now, I'm not noticing anything out of the ordinary/unstable. System sleeps, wakes, restarts, shutdowns normally. Quicklook works. Able to play DRM videos via iTunes. No random system freezes.

Based on my screenshots below, is the IGPU set correctly? As long as I don't start noticing problems, I would see this as a functional/correct setup?

upload_2018-12-29_22-17-9.png

upload_2018-12-29_22-18-3.png

upload_2018-12-29_22-18-35.png

@jaymonkey

Based on my screenshots below, is the IGPU set correctly? As long as I don't start noticing problems, I would see this as a functional/correct setup?

Based on your images they match what I have. However I use 18,1 on the system that uses the same CPU shown in your images. 4.01 GHz Intel Core I3

Back