Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

Motherboard
Intel NUC8i5BEH
CPU
i5-8259U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
I am running a nuc8i5beh, with catalina 10.15.6. I use kext updater to periodically check and copy any updates to the efi partition on my drive. That has not been giving me troubles till recently. When I copied over appleALC 1.50 and rebooted I no longer had sound and it looks like the internal sound was not recognized. I copied back appleALC 1.49 and the sound worked fine.

I set up a USB drive with a full copy of my EFI file to see if I can setup config.plist to work with an updated version of the kext. I went through the Idiot’s guide to Lilu and its plugins, but so far I have not been successful. I tried all of the ID variations that Hackintool allows, but none of them work.

As soon as I revert to my old config file and kext version, the sound is back.

The attached zip has both the old config that works with 1.49 of appleALC, and the new one that I tried for the latest versions.

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Attachments

• configs.zip
    5.5 KB · Views: 34

jaymonkey

Motherboard
GB Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9 10850K OC @ 5.2 GHz
Graphics
Vega 64 LC + HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@Richtw,

Sounds like your doing everything right and if you have tried all Layout ID's then my guess is that the latest release of AppleALC has broken support for the codec your NUC uses. This sort of thing has happened in the past with other Codec support and is usually resolved with the next release.

Best bet would be to report the issue on the official acidanthera dev teams bug tracker :-

Revert to using the last release until you know the issues has been addressed,

Cheers
Jay

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
In Big Sur AppleTV, Netflix in Safari doesn't work anymore. Using Z77X-UD5H, see signature.

I have the latest WE and Lilu Version installed. In Catalina it worked. VDADecoder says: fully supported.

Is this still a Big Sur problem?

jaymonkey

Motherboard
GB Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9 10850K OC @ 5.2 GHz
Graphics
Vega 64 LC + HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
In Big Sur AppleTV, Netflix in Safari doesn't work anymore.

@madman1234,

It is well reported on this and other forums that DRM is not working in Big Sur at the moment on any Hackintosh.

Apple have massively updated the DRM security layer in Big Sur which has yet to be fully reverse engineered and understood but the Lilu and WhatEverGreen developer's are looking into it, and once the changes are fully understood we may get a future release of Lilu + WEG that will resolve the issue.

Cheers
Jay

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@madman1234,

It is well reported on this and other forums that DRM is not working in Big Sur at the moment on any Hackintosh.
This is incorrect, FairPlay may not be working DRM works fine under iMac Pro 1,1 SM in safari, chrome, and Apple TV app.

Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix z370-e
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1080
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thinking about updating to WhatEverGreen.
Installing WhatEverGreen should take care of renaming all of the required device identities in the ACPI tables for us so if you have any of the following Clover ACPI Fixes/Renames in your config.plist you should remove or disable them:-
  • Change/Rename GFX0 to IGPU
  • Change/Rename PEG0 to GFX0
  • Change/Rename HECI to IMEI
I have these 3 ACPI renames:
Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 10.21.56 AM.png

I understand I need to get rid of the GFX0 to IGPU and HECI to IMEI, but what about PEGP? I don't think it's the same as PEG0 so I wanted to make sure before I moved forward.

jaymonkey

Motherboard
GB Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9 10850K OC @ 5.2 GHz
Graphics
Vega 64 LC + HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
what about PEGP? I don't think it's the same as PEG0 so I wanted to make sure before I moved forward.

@Realyungsun,

WEG takes care of all GPU related ACPI renames so there should be no need to include them in the config.plist, if your not sure then just disable the rename in the config.plist and after booting with WEG check your ioreg, search for PEGP .. if WEG has done it work correctly then it should not exist where as GFX0 should.

Cheers
Jay

Motherboard
Dell H77
CPU
Intel 3770 - 3.4 GHz
Graphics
Radeon HD 7770 2GB - Dell OEM
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am having an issue with any version of WEG newer than 1.3.4.

My system has been running well, but I decided to download the most current version of Unibeast for High Sierra 10.13.6, create a USB installer, and use some of the drivers and kexts in my existing EFI partition. The system was still stable, everything worked (USB, video, audio, internal WiFi, etc.) However, after a couple of days I discovered that nothing related to the iTunes Store or Mac App Store worked properly. Any attempts to authenticate my account in iTunes gave unknown errors -42408 and -50, in that order. And downloading free updates of apps from the Mac App Store failed. So I decided to backtrack and find out what part of the current Unibeast was the problem. It wasn't Clover 5107. It wasn't related to using VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC. Not related to any of the .efi drivers. Not related to Lilu or AppleALC. I then reverted WhateverGreen 1.3.7 to 1.3.0, and all the iTunes/ Mac OS App Store problems were resolved. I then tried updating WEG by one release at a time. No problems with 1.3.4, all of the above problems returned with 1.3.5.

The version of iTunes installed is 12.6.5.3 - for app management. I wonder if there is a workaround for WEG newer that 1.3.4 that might address this issue. Or a rational approach for debugging the problem.

Thanks for looking.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
I9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am having an issue with any version of WEG newer than 1.3.4.

My system has been running well, but I decided to download the most current version of Unibeast for High Sierra 10.13.6, create a USB installer, and use some of the drivers and kexts in my existing EFI partition. The system was still stable, everything worked (USB, video, audio, internal WiFi, etc.) However, after a couple of days I discovered that nothing related to the iTunes Store or Mac App Store worked properly. Any attempts to authenticate my account in iTunes gave unknown errors -42408 and -50, in that order. And downloading free updates of apps from the Mac App Store failed. So I decided to backtrack and find out what part of the current Unibeast was the problem. It wasn't Clover 5107. It wasn't related to using VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC. Not related to any of the .efi drivers. Not related to Lilu or AppleALC. I then reverted WhateverGreen 1.3.7 to 1.3.0, and all the iTunes/ Mac OS App Store problems were resolved. I then tried updating WEG by one release at a time. No problems with 1.3.4, all of the above problems returned with 1.3.5.

The version of iTunes installed is 12.6.5.3 - for app management. I wonder if there is a workaround for WEG newer that 1.3.4 that might address this issue. Or a rational approach for debugging the problem.

Thanks for looking.
I can not say for sure but there is a good chance that 1.3.5 dropped what ever support the previous version had for iTunes. 1.3.5 was released in December of 2019 so roughly a month after the release of Catalina. Catalina dropped iTunes in favor of the music app and the Apple TV app. At some point in the near future I would imagine you losing the ability to use iTunes but that is just a guess. You might also lose the ability to use the App Store in the future.