Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To Lilu and its Plug-ins

I followed this guide and have full acceleration on both iGPU + dGPU. videoproc shows everything enabled, and kextstat shows AppleIntelCFLframebuffer + AppleIntelKBLgraphics.kext loaded. However, Netflix fails to play movies and iTunes fails to play purchased content as well.

Both however, worked with old way by spoofing and using KBLframebuffer. My initial thought is, iMac 18,3 is a KBL mac. I am using 8700k + vega 64. Maybe for netflix and itunes to play DRM content, it verifies if mac matches? I am not sure...

P.S. I am using platformID: 3E920003 with device ID 0x3E920000

Any ideas?

Netflix fails to play movies and iTunes fails to play purchased content as well.

@mafx3,

Sorry but i don't have Netflix or use iTunes for viewing video content. so i have not seen the issue myself or able to test.

The only fix that i am aware of is the following ...

First configure MacOS to use ATI/AMD GPU for DRM content, open terminal and execute the following :-

Code:
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceATI -boolean yes

Then reset the MacOS DRM Config

Code:
defaults delete com.apple.coremedia
defaults delete com.apple.AppleGVA
sudo rm -rf /Users/Shared/SC\ Info
sudo defaults delete com.apple.coremedia
sudo defaults delete com.apple.AppleGVA

Finaly Reboot your PC

Note: This fix will only work if Lilu + WhatEverGreen is loaded, let me know if it works ...

Other than the above the only thing I can suggest is reading through the Shiki documentation :-
https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.Shiki.en.md

Shiki used to be a separate lilu plugin that resolved video DRM issues, Shiki is now built into WhatEverGreen and its my understanding that in most cases WEG automatically configs Shiki so no boot arguments are needed, however its possible that in some cases it may need a bit of fine tuning.

You could also try asking on the official WEG support thread for assistance as to why Shiki is not doing what it's meant to do. If you do manage to find a solution, please post back here so we can include something in the guide to help others.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@luckyal,

Quite form the guide :-

Its a fair question but one without a clear cut answer, l'll try and do a bit more digging into it, if i find a better explanation for when it's required i'll update the guide.

Cheers
Jay
Hey @jaymonkey after applying this fix I lost ability to use both iGPU and Thunderbolt enabled. I have to disable either or in the BIOS in order to get past the "Couldn't allocate runtime area." I was being told that it's a NVRAM issue, but I've tried a everything between AptioMemoryFix OsxAptioFix2Drv... etc. and got nowhere. Boot into windows just fine. Any ideas?

After applying this fix I lost ability to use both iGPU and Thunderbolt enabled. I have to disable either or in the BIOS in order to get past the "Couldn't allocate runtime area." I was being told that it's a NVRAM issue, but I've tried a everything between AptioMemoryFix OsxAptioFix2Drv... etc. and got nowhere. Boot into windows just fine. Any ideas?

@luckyal

Since you have 3 Display devices :
  • On Board IGPU
  • PCIe RX 580
  • Display over Thunderbolt
You need to enable the "Above 4G Decoding" option in the BIOS, pretty sure that should resolve the issue.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@mafx3,

Sorry but i don't have Netflix or use iTunes for viewing video content. so i have not seen the issue myself or able to test.

First configure MacOS to use ATI/AMD GPU for DRM content, open terminal and execute the following :-

Code:

Code:

Finaly Reboot your PC

Note: This fix will only work if Lilu + WhatEverGreen is loaded, let me know if it works ...

Other than the above the only thing I can suggest is reading through the Shiki documentation :-

Shiki used to be a separate lilu plugin that resolved video DRM issues, Shiki is now built into WhatEverGreen and its my understanding that in most cases WEG automatically configs Shiki so no boot arguments are needed, however its possible that in some cases it may need a bit of fine tuning.

You could also try asking on the official WEG support thread for assistance as to why Shiki is not doing what it's meant to do. If you do manage to find a solution, please post back here so we can include something in the guide to help others.

Cheers
Jay

Unsuccessful with this. For the time being I will just disable iGPU whenever I view DRM content. Thanks for your help!

But, isn't the Vega 64 much faster than the iGPU?
I think in this post you were asking about my post? If it was, Vega is faster than iGPU, however, I still would like a complete system where iGPU is used for some tasks. However, enabling iGPU breaks DRM compatibility.

@mafx3,

Code:

Code:

Finaly Reboot your PC

Cheers
Jay

Hi Jay, I changed my mind and decided I wasn't going to give up on DRM... I got it working. So even though the above Shiki instructions you gave me didn't work, you did point me in the right direction. It turns out, at least for my build, what did the trick was to add the bootflag "shikigva=1". Now everything works beautifully. Hardware acceleration, plus DRM itunes, netflix, etc. With the Vega, got the fans fixed with VG_Tab (by the way).

For i7 8700k with iGPU enabled in BIOS + Vega 64 8GB here is what is needed:

Kexts: WhatEverGreen, Lilu
I am using AAPL_ig_platform-id: 3E920003 or 0300923E (reverse byte for clover)
device-id: 3E920000 or (923E0000 in reverse)
Custom Boot Flags: shikigva=1

That's it!

I am attaching my config.plist to this post for anyone who may need this in the future.

P.S. if I run 'kextstat' in terminal, AppleIntelKBLGraphics.kext + AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer.kext load in this configuration.

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.5 KB · Views: 180
It turns out, at least for my build, what did the trick was to add the bootflag "shikigva=1". Now everything works beautifully. Hardware acceleration, plus DRM itunes, netflix, etc. With the Vega, got the fans fixed with VG_Tab (by the way).

@mafx3,

Thats great news .... and very useful info, the shiki documentation states that the boot argument shikigva=1 enables Intel online video decoder ... what I don't understand is that there is code in WhatEverGreen to set this flag by default as long as IGPU is detected and enabled so clearly there is an issue with WEG ... I wonder if it's because you are using IGPU in headless mode ?, I'll do some testing at my end and see if I can recreate the issue and fix, I'll flag it as a potential bug with the WEG developers.

If i can re-create the problem and solution i'll add it to the guide.

Cheers
Jay

Update: Hummmm on my i7 4790K White Knight System (full specs in sig) it seems I can play DRM content with no issues (IGPU = HD 4600 configured as headless) .. I tested it with some iTunes trailers .. all seemed to work with out having to explicitly define "shikigva=1" as a boot argument. So it may be a CPU generation specific issue.

I'll put a note in the guide about it ...

Last edited:
Back