Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To iMessage

I very much agree that setting it up is a real PITA. I envy those who got to make iMessage work out of the box, or those who at least by following the guide to a tee, got it to work on their first few tries. I've been trying since 2018. I was still on Sierra then. Tried to make it work again now on Mojave, and still no go. Everytime I failed setting up iMessage, I console myself from the fact that there are better messaging apps that are available out there that are miles better than iMessage in terms of functionality and features. But I keep trying to activate iMessage because it is the only area of hackintoshing that I was not able to conquer yet. Been hackintoshing since 2012. The only thing I was not able to do was to actually call apple support.

Thank you once again for your responses, feartech. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. This covid19 lockdown has given me so much time in my hands I might give it a go one more time.

Keep safe!
you too matey! and good luck and also let us know if you get it working and how :)

The guide is easy to follow; thank you. I can perform all the tasks except for ensuring "Built-in" is selected with my Ethernet. The box is greyed out and I cannot manually select it. Deleting the recommended files meant I changed en3 to en0 but the Builtin box is not ticked. How can I select it?
View attachment 466518

The Guide said:
This is not intended as a help thread, requests for help will be deemed off-topic and removed.
For help with iMessage refer to the comprehensive How to Fix iMessage Guide thread.

iMessage can be a pain to setup
I never had problems with setting up iMessage.
Just generated a valid serial and a valid SmUUID in Clover Configurator.
That always worked for me until I recently updated Clover boot loader to v.5109.
Then suddenly after more than 2 years without any problems my iMessage stopped working on my XPS 9350.
So i am pretty sure it is a Clover problem.
i solved the problem generating a new serial and a new SmUUID and in Rt Variables generated a new ROM instead of standard UseMacAddr0
Voila
Solved

Last edited:
UseMacAddr0 is bugged in clover (or configurator not sure who's fault), i suspect everyone using it had a rom of 000000, and that didn't matter til last month when apple went "whoa, why are there so many people with a rom of all 0s"

biggest tip, manually input your ethernet's real rom. if you ran into the probelm and it WAS using ethernets real rom and not a bunch of 0s, use other ethernets rom (or even bluetooth rom, just any unique rom)

UseMacAddr0 is bugged in clover (or configurator not sure who's fault), i suspect everyone using it had a rom of 000000, and that didn't matter til last month when apple went "whoa, why are there so many people with a rom of all 0s"

biggest tip, manually input your ethernet's real rom. if you ran into the probelm and it WAS using ethernets real rom and not a bunch of 0s, use other ethernets rom (or even bluetooth rom, just any unique rom)
Yea but on my Asus Rog Strix Z370-G GAMING (WI-Fi AC) I have not updated Clover and there's no problem with iMessage that's why I´m sure I´s a Clover boot loader problem and has nothing with Apple or CloverConfigurator to do

Last edited:
I mean it does have to do with apple that it's very clear they changed their rom checks to be more strict in last month. Sure it exposed a problem with invalid or re-used roms, but apple wasn't checking the rom before, at least not for duplicates, as long as everything else was good and rom was persistent it was good enough even if it was a bunch of 0s. It's a sign of further lockdown on their measures (although thankfully not as bad as it was in days of having to call them up to whitelist every generated serial)

I mean it does have to do with apple that it's very clear they changed their rom checks to be more strict in last month. Sure it exposed a problem with invalid or re-used roms, but apple wasn't checking the rom before, at least not for duplicates, as long as everything else was good and rom was persistent it was good enough even if it was a bunch of 0s. It's a sign of further lockdown on their measures (although thankfully not as bad as it was in days of having to call them up to whitelist every generated serial)
Could you provide some evidence about Apple should have implemented checking wifi rom ?
As I wrote in earlyer post my 8700k build with older Clover boot loader config.plist generated with Clover Configurater there's no problem.
How would you explain that ?

I mean the evidence is pretty obvious, people were using bad roms, a lot of them using all 0s or other reused or badly inputed roms, with zero issues, until last month. Last month, apple finally started enforcing the rom be unique.

Prior to that, it seemed to only matter to have good board ID, hardware uuid, system uuid, and serial. the rom just didn't matter (other than making sure it persisted, so the nvram hash didn't change).

Now the rom matters too.. Simple as that. But as I said, it's not apples fault that users had bad roms, it's users. However, any change to security that increases enforcement on apples end still involves apple. Cause, and a effect. A change was made, it affected users, users adjusted, problem solved.

Guide as is still worked for my Dell XPS 13 - 9350- Catalina build today. So thanks again @P!LGRIM

Back