Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To iMessage

The usual cause of this is a lack of native support for NVRAM - It is covered in the guide.
JUST MADE IT!
In the easiest way: Multibeast / Quickstart / Clover UEFI Boot Mod + Emulated NVRAM

Now iMessage_debug reads ROM and MLB.
Now iMessage works..daaaaaamn finally!

Method worked great, but after executing this guide and getting everything working, I've started having terrible hangs in Finder.

I'm not sure even how to track it down at this point. It seemed to start after modifying the config.plist as outlined. Prior to following the steps I didn't really have any hangs, however after rebooting during the process of following this guide, I began to notice hangs especially in Finder where it absolutely will not respond or even relaunch.

It's just simply dead and rebooting is impossible unless I kill it via cmd-opt-Esc in the reboot cycle. Then when Finder does die it seems to die just long enough for the system to kind of go on down, but one time I had to hold the power in.

Have you seen anything like this before in conjunction with your guide?
No.
The Guide said:
This is not intended as a help thread, requests for help will be deemed off-topic and removed.
For help with iMessage refer to the comprehensive How to Fix iMessage Guide thread.

Hello!

This is my first post in this forum.

I would like to confirm that I had great success using the guide provided in this thread on High Sierra 10.13.4. I have used this Broadcom BCM94360CD adapter (I am not advertising; just letting people know that this one actually works), and everything works fine OOB (WiFi, Bluetooth, continuity, everything), just like with a real iMac (no additional drivers needed, nothing). For your information, I am using the 14,2 SMBIOS, although my processor is newer.

Before I got the Broadcom "native" adapter, I was using a Realtek USB WiFi adapter, and I could not make iMessage work; Apparently, as P1LGRIM has nicely pointed out, you need your adapter to be recognized as native by MacOS. Also, the whole setup process was conducted exclusively over WiFi, with a working, also native Ethernet connection being present in the system, but not utilized at all.

Hope the above helps someone with a similar system.

Thanks for the great tutorial!

Last edited:
Hello, I'm trying to follow the guide but when I click the magic wand to select my system, the dropdown only goes to iMac17,1 and mine is configured as an iMac18,3. Please let me know how to fix this. Thanks!
Use a newer Clover Configurator.

Off topic post removed.

Edited:
Thanks for the guide, on 2nd attempt + some tips from the guide you mentioned and i managed AppStore to work.

Last edited:
Again and again I do everything on this guide, but it does't work. NVRAM works, iMessage debug gives identical results after each reboot. where is the problem? wi-fi Broadcom BCM94360CD (ethernet en0), Imac 18,2 in SMBIOS, HS 10.13.4
Before that two years ago everything was fine with the old system. 4770 - z87x-OC - GTX 1060 6 GB
The Guide said:
This is not intended as a help thread, requests for help will be deemed off-topic and removed.
For help with iMessage refer to the comprehensive How to Fix iMessage Guide thread.
Off topic post removed.

Great, straightforward guide. Worked great for me. Thanks.

Completed this on my i5-6500 build, worked like a charm, easy to follow took me less that 30 minutes. Thanks @P1LGRIM

Back