Contribute
Register

An iDiot's Guide To iMessage

Thanks P1LGRIM on this simple guide..another successful user..tried with iMac 17,1 but got problem signing with iCloud and app store..changed to 14,2 and worked flawlessly..thanks again for your handwork preparing this guide..awesome
You're welcome - Thanks for the feedback :thumbup:

Didn't work on mine :(
Though I managed to pass the initial sign in in the messenger , when I Tried to compose a message , It asked me to log in again and then it said "Error occurred Authentication "
Tried the Whole method twice without the internet on .
Running on a Hp prebook on an i5 Sandy Bridge , hence choosing the Macbook Pro (8,1) in the configurator .

P1LGRIM, another question for you! How would I need to backup to ensure this fix still works on a fresh installation? I'm going to have a play with Sierra on another SSD :)

P1LGRIM, another question for you! How would I need to backup to ensure this fix still works on a fresh installation? I'm going to have a play with Sierra on another SSD :)
Save a copy of your config.plist.

Didnt work for me either :( Did everything step by step but same error as
abhinavg

P1LGRIM Sweet! You the man/woman! :)

One of the easier to follow guides on the Site. Excellent. Worked with my Rig in Signature.

If you see the message "We're sorry, but this serial number is not valid. Please check your information and try again" and the Serial Number has passed verification at everymac.com then it is OK to use this Serial Number for your config.plist.

This is so important that it is worth repeating :
You need a Serial Number that everymac.com confirms is in the correct format and that Apple says is not valid.
It does not mean that it is not a valid Serial Number - It means that it is not already registered.

This advice conflicts with the advice given by jaymonkey in "How to fix imessage" in Chapter 4.1:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-fix-imessage.110471/#TOP4.1

Make sure your OSX S/N is valid but not registered ...

I recommend that you check any existing or newly generated OSX S/N using Apple's Self Solve website which can be accessed at the following URL:-

https://selfsolve.apple.com

Simply copy and paste your OSX S/N into the form and click on continue, if your S/N passes the validation checks and is not registered then site will return with the following message:-

We're sorry, the number you have provided cannot be found in our records. Please verify the number and try again

This is good and is the only message you really want to see ..... it means your OSX S/N does not match an existing Mac's S/N but it does pass all of Apples S/N validation checks, this is also useful when calling Apple support as the S/N will appear valid but will not show up on their systems .. in-most cases making them think the issue is with their registration database and not your OSX S/N.

Finally, if you get the message :-

We're sorry, but this serial number is not valid. Please check your information and try again

Then the S/N is either black-listed or failing the OSX S/N validation checks, do not use it - generate new S/N and try again.

While Jaymonkey's URL no longer works, it seems to be the same page -- to check if support exists for the serial number. Which advice is the better advice to follow?

Which advice is the better advice to follow?
You are free to choose whichever guide you like.
Jay's guide is quite old now and has not been maintained for a while.
Some things have changed since it was written but it remains the most comprehensive on the subject.
On the other hand this guide is still receiving positive results.

You are free to choose whichever guide you like.

I started with your guide, but was unsuccessful. Since you refer the unsuccessful people to jaymonkey's thread, I tried that instead and ran into documentation that conflicts with yours.

Jay's guide is quite old now and has not been maintained for a while.
Some things have changed since it was written but it remains the most comprehensive on the subject.

Thus my question -- why is your advice different for this part? Has Apple's site changed to only state that serial numbers are invalid, or is it still possible to get the result jaymonkey is asking for?

"We're sorry, the number you have provided cannot be found in our records. Please verify the number and try again."

On the other hand this guide is still receiving positive results.

Yes, it's a helpful guide for sure -- it just doesn't apply to all for some reason. I wouldn't expect the guides to conflict with each other especially when one is suppose to be, as you say, a more comprehensive version.

Back