i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
German professional overclocker Dancop got the Intel Core i7-8700K processor to work on an ASUS ROG Maximus IX Apex (Z270) motherboard, something that's not supposed to work. CPU-Z screenshots seem to confirm this unholy union between the 6-core "Coffee Lake" processor and a 200-series chipset motherboard, using a custom "0084" BIOS dated 11th June, 2018. Dancop then proceeded to overclock the chip to 7344 MHz using extreme cooling, and 2x 8 GB (dual-channel) DDR4-4000 memory. This bench-stable build was then used to bag a SuperPi 32M world-record. From TechPowerup

So the new record is 7.34GHz on liquid Nitrogen cooling. Anyone want to try this with their 8700K ?
How does one make a living being a Professional overclocker anyway ?

Screen Shot 9.jpg

Goodness. Gracious. Me.

I can't begin to fathom how liquid nitrogen could be used as PC hardware coolant - but 7ghz seems proof.

(It's not April 1st is it?)

Just keeping condensation and resulting water-ice from other components must be pretty difficult. That used to plague Peltier cooling as I recall.

Just Wow!

Goodness. Gracious. Me.

I can't begin to fathom how liquid nitrogen could be used as PC hardware coolant - but 7ghz seems proof.

(It's not April 1st is it?)

Just keeping condensation and resulting water-ice from other components must be pretty difficult. That used to plague Peltier cooling as I recall.

Just Wow!
Core voltage of 1.984 is very impressive too. I'd like to see what he used for a PSU to do this. How he kept from melting the IHS I'll never know. They definitely had to delid and use some very exotic and expensive thermal compound too. Last but not least, where are the Geekbench Numbers ??? How high would those be ?

Last edited:
Fascinating to watch. Thanks for the links.:thumbup:

I've never used Thermal Grizzly but guess it has no conductive metal content. Using a silver compound would cause all kinds of short-circuiting (I might be wrong about that given the use of "liquid metal" on de-lidded CPUs?).

Having to worry about the die cracking is novel too. And coding a BIOS that allows those voltages isn't trivial. ASUS seems the way to go.

Surprised the other components can keep up.

I doubt longevity is an issue here. :)

Last edited:
From the video, near the end, ask to give advice on anyone that wanted to doing overclocking.

"Find someone in your neighborhood that is already doing liquid nitrogen"

I'm sure a lot of neighborhoods have extreme overclockers. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back