Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime X299-Deluxe
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
Radeon VII
In a Hackintosh (MacOS 10.3.4), would there be a difference between the Vega Frontier Edition and the Vega 64, besides the GPU RAM (16 GB vs 8 GB)?

I've been using a 1080TI, but with the Nvidia issues lately and Vega cards now working OOTB in MacOS I thought to switch to AMD. I bought a used Vega Frontier Edition. The performance in OpenCL and Metal is nowhere close to the 1080TI with CUDA in DaVinci Resolve or Premiere Pro. I got the FE because it has 16GB and Resolve works better with my GPU RAM, but now I'm wondering if the Vega 64 might outperform the Vega Frontier Edition and get me closer to the 1080TI. My understanding is that they are the same card except for the GPU RAM, but I'm not sure if they perform the same since I don't know if those 2 cards are using different drivers in MacOS, like they do in Windows (unless you activate gaming drivers for the FE). Would it be worth trying a Vega 64, or should I just go back to the 1080TI?

I don't care about any Windows performance. This is all primarily (almost exclusively) for video work.

Last edited:
The specs on that page indicate that the FE would be faster than the 64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back