Contribute
Register

AMD Vega 64 overheating and fan issues High Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which item in the Safari debug menu are you referring to disabling?
Under Drawing/Compositing Flag> Disable Canvas Accelerated Drawing, Disable Full Page Accelerated Drawing

Thanks I'll give it a try. I kept Safari closed all day today and never had a crash. I think you are onto something. Did you disable hardware acceleration in Chrome or Firefox (if you use them)?

Well reading all this has me disappointed lol. I just bought a Vega 64 to upgrade from my RX 580. Waiting for the Vega to ship. My system has been flawless but now I'm wondering if this upgrade is worth it if its so buggy :/ I need a non-headache system which with my RX 580 was but I need more power.

Well reading all this has me disappointed lol. I just bought a Vega 64 to upgrade from my RX 580. Waiting for the Vega to ship. My system has been flawless but now I'm wondering if this upgrade is worth it if its so buggy :/ I need a non-headache system which with my RX 580 was but I need more power.

I never had any of the problems described in this thread with my Vega.

I narrowed my problem down to having both 4k monitors plugged in. So I plugged a RX 560 in that I bought when cards will still super expensive and plugged the other monitor in been running like this for a week or so. I wish I could bring these monitors to @pastrychef and see if they crash his system.

I'm facing the same "black screen" issues in Chrome, in Safari and in some Apps.

Hardware: Z370 Aorus Gaming 5, I7 8700k and the Asus Strix ROG Vega 64 OC.

I'm running the Vega as my main graphics card but have the IGPU activated for Quick Sync etc. (using Lilu+Whatevergreen for
ID and framebuffer injection).

I have only one screen connected on the DVI port of the Vega 64.

I have created a custom KEXT for the fans.

Interesting thing is, that on some specific websites in chrome the screen goes black. If I close the tab with the keyboard again, the black screen goes away and I see the desktop again.

Deactivating the hardware acceleration in Chrome or Safari is really not a great solution as it also happens in some apps where I can not disable hardware acceleration.

Could it be somehow in connection with the IGPU? Maybe for some reasons when using the hardware acceleration in some apps the system switches the output to the IGPU and the screen goes black on the Vega?... I could not yet test that possible scenario.

I'm desperate for a solution and are open to try everything ;-)

I'm facing the same "black screen" issues in Chrome, in Safari and in some Apps.

Hardware: Z370 Aorus Gaming 5, I7 8700k and the Asus Strix ROG Vega 64 OC.

I'm running the Vega as my main graphics card but have the IGPU activated for Quick Sync etc. (using Lilu+Whatevergreen for
ID and framebuffer injection).

I have only one screen connected on the DVI port of the Vega 64.

I have created a custom KEXT for the fans.

Interesting thing is, that on some specific websites in chrome the screen goes black. If I close the tab with the keyboard again, the black screen goes away and I see the desktop again.

Deactivating the hardware acceleration in Chrome or Safari is really not a great solution as it also happens in some apps where I can not disable hardware acceleration.

Could it be somehow in connection with the IGPU? Maybe for some reasons when using the hardware acceleration in some apps the system switches the output to the IGPU and the screen goes black on the Vega?... I could not yet test that possible scenario.

I'm desperate for a solution and are open to try everything ;-)

I do not really have a solution for you but even if the system starts using the IGPU for what ever the system needs it for, it is only using it for processing not for Video Output.

I have been having weird issues with my gaming in High Sierra 10.13.4.

The fan is abnormally loud at boot as stated by many. But I figure it's OK as it keeps things cool.

My issue is when gaming my fans slow down. For some reason fans spin up when cool and slow down when hot. I get a lot of game freezes, but they usually recover. But If I keep playing, it gets worse until it crashes completely and auto0reboots on its own.

Any workarounds or some fan configuring?

I can't seem to find any info on fan control or custom fan profiles.

I see no AMD video control panels of any type either.

@MarkJohnson

Did you ever get it figured out? If not, I may have a solution for you.

-Kyle

I never had any of the problems described in this thread with my Vega.
Have you never had a problem with Vega 64?
I experienced this on Catalina, Temperature Idle keeps going up to 70C°.
Can you help me please.

Have you never had a problem with Vega 64?
I experienced this on Catalina, Temperature Idle keeps going up to 70C°.
Can you help me please.

I replaced the thermal paste on my Vega with liquid metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back