Contribute
Register

AMD Vega 64 overheating and fan issues High Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GigaByte Z390 UD Rev 1.1
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5500 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have been having weird issues with my gaming in High Sierra 10.13.4.

The fan is abnormally loud at boot as stated by many. But I figure it's OK as it keeps things cool.

My issue is when gaming my fans slow down. For some reason fans spin up when cool and slow down when hot. I get a lot of game freezes, but they usually recover. But If I keep playing, it gets worse until it crashes completely and auto0reboots on its own.

Any workarounds or some fan configuring?

I can't seem to find any info on fan control or custom fan profiles.

I see no AMD video control panels of any type either.

See this thread, page 6 - the posts from Okrasit
https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325120-vega-frontier-edition-on-high-sierra/?page=6

There is a way in MacOS to adjust the clocks, power and fans by editing AMD10000Controller.

Even cooler, user wyhtc later in the thread created a kext (RadeonVegaLowFanSpeed.kext) that you can just drop in EFI/CLOVER/Kext/Other and achieve the same without editing any system files. I've been using it for a few days and it works great. Low temps, fan's don't spin up until card is under heavy load.

It supposedly sets Core: 1442MHz/1075mV ,Memory: 1045MHz/1075mV,Temp target: 57,Idle fan: 700rpm, which seems to work ok for me. I'm hoping some makes one at even a slightly lower mV.

also the following command in terminal will report temp and fan speed of your card:

ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan'

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/325120-vega-frontier-edition-on-high-sierra/?page=6

There is a way in MacOS to adjust the clocks, power and fans by editing AMD10000Controller.

Even cooler, user wyhtc later in the thread created a kext (RadeonVegaLowFanSpeed.kext) that you can just drop in EFI/CLOVER/Kext/Other and achieve the same without editing any system files. I've been using it for a few days and it works great. Low temps, fan's don't spin up until card is under heavy load.

It supposedly sets Core: 1442MHz/1075mV ,Memory: 1045MHz/1075mV,Temp target: 57,Idle fan: 700rpm, which seems to work ok for me. I'm hoping some makes one at even a slightly lower mV.

also the following command in terminal will report temp and fan speed of your card:

ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan'

Very interesting. This is more what I need. I wonder if I can just do the undervolt overclocking that's posted all over the internet. I just do the undervolt only in windows and it runs fine at normal clocks. Without the undervolt I get random crashes. They just push these Vegas way too hard to try and keep up with the green team then they always seem to have issues.

I had the same issue with my RX 480. Except I had to use power saving mode, but it underclocked it to like 1.1GHz. I lost like 20% of my power. It was basically crippled to an RX 470.

But I had a different vega 64 and did the same undervolt only and it wasn't stable unless I was around 1.4GHz. Maybe it's just the silicon lottery. This new one came with my Dell, so apparently it was a semi-good one.

But I found a Civ 6 workaround and locked the FPS to 30 and it doesn't stress the GPU so much. I played for over an hour and no crash.

Well, wish me luck and thank you very much.
-=Mark=-

It worked out of box. I limited my fps in game and no more overheating. I didn't try the edits above yet. Been too busy with other things lately.

@unklemac if you are still facing problems with Vega 64 fan speed and heating, give this fix a shot. Although I am now using a water block for Vega and don't have fan problems, my GPU does cause restarts when playing games or sometimes while using Ableton Live because its getting overloaded even at idle (The LEDs are red for no obvious reason). The fix mentioned in the 2nd post in this thread (I used the 1600 clock speed patch) has made my system stable so far. I have let it run overnight, played games and it has not caused any issues so far. It still looks like doing processing even at idle but no longer crashes. I did not use a clover kext patch and rather modified the original kext itself.

@unklemac if you are still facing problems with Vega 64 fan speed and heating, give this fix a shot. Although I am now using a water block for Vega and don't have fan problems, my GPU does cause restarts when playing games or sometimes while using Ableton Live because its getting overloaded even at idle (The LEDs are red for no obvious reason). The fix mentioned in the 2nd post in this thread (I used the 1600 clock speed patch) has made my system stable so far. I have let it run overnight, played games and it has not caused any issues so far. It still looks like doing processing even at idle but no longer crashes. I did not use a clover kext patch and rather modified the original kext itself.

Hey Dashingncool.

I too put on a watercooler solution to get the noise problem eliminated! I have also experienced on rare occasions crashes in FCP-X. Is there anything in perticular that is easiest to make the GPU crash? I really want to test if it's stable now, or if I need to use those Kext Mods.

Thanks for your experience with your Vega! - It feels great to be running stable... noiseless :-D

For me the problem was more prominent. It would log me out (As if the gpu was unplugged) or simply show me a white/black/grey screen after using for sometime. As photos is always running, i m sure its using my gpu to convert videos n photos while uploading to icloud. Heaven and Valley were also doing the same. That is why I applied one of these patches and now its no longer crashing atleast in the same time frame. I ran heaven and valley at high settings with AA at 8x and no freezes. Testing at ultra setting did cause the same issue of logging me out or just freezing up the system. This card isn’t powerful enough to do 4k ultra at 60 plus fps so i m not worried about it. The only thing that I have not been able to reproduce is that white /black/grey screen freeze where after a few hours of use both monitors go one of those colors and audio stops. All i can do is restart the system. I m guessing it was gpu but I cannot say for sure.
Hey Dashingncool.

I too put on a watercooler solution to get the noise problem eliminated! I have also experienced on rare occasions crashes in FCP-X. Is there anything in perticular that is easiest to make the GPU crash? I really want to test if it's stable now, or if I need to use those Kext Mods.

Thanks for your experience with your Vega! - It feels great to be running stable... noiseless :-D

@dashingncool All right, I will test that. I too got that grey(blackish) screen in FCP X(rarely), and it was so severe that my project file got corrupted.

Will definately make test in Heaven & Valley and let them run for some hours to see if I need the patching.
I used a different BIOS for my Vega 56, that runs the card with lower voltage (and less heat), and since then, it seems the card is more stable.

The thing with loosing your audio, could this be something related to sleep?

Hi, I tried to find the "RadeonVegaLowFanSpeed.kext", but I was not successful. Could You share it?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back