Contribute
Register

AMD Vega 64 overheating and fan issues High Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
About undervolting:
Is if we do undervolting on Windows will automatically work on Catalina (ie same hardware only SSD different)?

No. What you do in Windows will not stick when you reboot in to macOS.

You can try using VGTab to adjust the fans in macOS.

About undervolting:
Is if we do undervolting on Windows will automatically work on Catalina (ie same hardware only SSD different)?

is the fan spinning up? seems very odd, what brand is the Vega? Maybe the bios is behaving oddly with MacOs

is the fan spinning up? seems very odd, what brand is the Vega? Maybe the bios is behaving oddly with MacOs
Sapphire Radeon™ RX Vega64 8G HBM2 Reference. When the temperature rises to 70C° the fan does not increase in speed.

Sapphire Radeon™ RX Vega64 8G HBM2 Reference. When the temperature rises to 70C° the fan does not increase in speed.

Does it have a Reference Bios on it? I have my MSI Vega 56 flashed with a Sapphire Nitro+ bios because it shuts the fan off till 50C.

Have you tried both bios switch positions on the card? If you have or you do and it does not make a difference I would go here next:

Does it have a Reference Bios on it? I have my MSI Vega 56 flashed with a Sapphire Nitro+ bios because it shuts the fan off till 50C.

Have you tried both bios switch positions on the card? If you have or you do and it does not make a difference I would go here next:

I have never flash bios. I have tried both bios switches positions but same heat.

I will try this guide Thanks.

Having issue with fan and temp on MSI Radeon RX Vega 64 in Catalina. Fan doesn't kick in until temp is over 75. Any ideas?

Sorry for the late reply, but I figured out and cured my overheating problem. It was the Vega itself. I upgraded my system to the i7-9700k listed to the left. I installed a water cooling loop and cured my temp issues, but I still had crashing issues. Then I realized it was crashing to power off, not a lockup. I posted a thread on Tom's Hardware and I got JonnyGuru (The Power Supply reviewer) himself responding to me, and saying his many Vega tests all report very poor power regulation in the Vega 64s and they were getting huge micro power spikes of twice the normal power draw.

He said the recommended 650 wat PSU was never enough. The micro spikes would trigger a power fail and shut off the PSU. He recommended a quality 700 watt unit, I seen a same unit, but 750 watts that was $10 more, so I thought I'd hedge my bet and pay the extra $10 for the 750 unit.

Since I installed it, I have had zero issues whatsoever,

I should have realized this from my old radeon 1800XTX that had the same issue. Some one it was the PSU causing the crash. I ignored him as I had recommend and it was a quality one.

Then I built another rig, with a x2 video card and needed an even bigger PSU, so I tested that PSU on the 1800XTX system and all troubles disappeared.

You'd think I'd have learned my lesson, apparently you can't teach this old dog new tricks. lol

FYI, I looked it up, I replaced it with a Seasonic PRIME PX-750, 750W 80+ Platinum, and I ordered it on 9/10/2019.

So, it has been a while since I replaced it, and the Vega is still holding it's own and trouble free.

Sorry for the late reply, but I figured out and cured my overheating problem. It was the Vega itself. I upgraded my system to the i7-9700k listed to the left. I installed a water cooling loop and cured my temp issues, but I still had crashing issues. Then I realized it was crashing to power off, not a lockup. I posted a thread on Tom's Hardware and I got JonnyGuru (The Power Supply reviewer) himself responding to me, and saying his many Vega tests all report very poor power regulation in the Vega 64s and they were getting huge micro power spikes of twice the normal power draw.

He said the recommended 650 wat PSU was never enough. The micro spikes would trigger a power fail and shut off the PSU. He recommended a quality 700 watt unit, I seen a same unit, but 750 watts that was $10 more, so I thought I'd hedge my bet and pay the extra $10 for the 750 unit.

Since I installed it, I have had zero issues whatsoever,

I should have realized this from my old radeon 1800XTX that had the same issue. Some one it was the PSU causing the crash. I ignored him as I had recommend and it was a quality one.

Then I built another rig, with a x2 video card and needed an even bigger PSU, so I tested that PSU on the 1800XTX system and all troubles disappeared.

You'd think I'd have learned my lesson, apparently you can't teach this old dog new tricks. lol

FYI, I looked it up, I replaced it with a Seasonic PRIME PX-750, 750W 80+ Platinum, and I ordered it on 9/10/2019.

So, it has been a while since I replaced it, and the Vega is still holding it's own and trouble free.
Great to hear I am not sure who recommended a 650 for your system but I would have recommend a 750 minimum. I personally run a 1k watt because I like that the fan never kicks on and more or less my system is passively cooled unless I game. I do have an AIO on the CPU but the fans do not run unless as I mentioned I am gaming the radiator is enough to keep the CPU at 40C for most regular tasks including running windows VM with Revit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back