Contribute
Register

AMD Vega 64 overheating and fan issues High Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look on Page 8

Thanks - I found it and it seems to be working fine.

But I'm experiencing a strange behavior. Usually everything works fine but sometimes the mouse movements start to stutter, all the graphics, like the the dock, appear like on a very slow computer and sometimes the computer restarts by itself. I'm sure it is related to the GPU, but I don't know how to figure out what is the reason ...

Update: I updated Clover to the latest version, updated the MB BIOS and installed the "EmuVariableUefi-64.efi" and since than I'm having no issues (for some days). I don't know which of these steps did the trick, but I guess maybe the last one. The problem could be elsewhere (NVRAM) and not in the GPU. Also my Clover version was a little obsolete ...

Last edited:
Thanks - I found it and it seems to be working fine.

But I'm experiencing a strange behavior. Usually everything works fine but sometimes the mouse movements start to stutter, all the graphics, like the the dock, appear like on a very slow computer and sometimes the computer restarts by itself. I'm sure it is related to the GPU, but I don't know how to figure out what is the reason ...

I have/had issues with my Vega also I thought everything was better and it was for a while; few weeks or what ever. Then I started getting random crashes similar to what other have described in this thread. The only thing that truly seems to be helpful is if I run one display on HDMI and one display on DP if they are both on DP I get crashes. However, I am not sure that it has to do with the temperature since I have seen it crash when temp was as low as 30 or as high as 80. The thermal limit is roughly around 100 and I have never seen the card temp even hit 90.

I have/had issues with my Vega also I thought everything was better and it was for a while; few weeks or what ever. Then I started getting random crashes similar to what other have described in this thread. The only thing that truly seems to be helpful is if I run one display on HDMI and one display on DP if they are both on DP I get crashes. However, I am not sure that it has to do with the temperature since I have seen it crash when temp was as low as 30 or as high as 80. The thermal limit is roughly around 100 and I have never seen the card temp even hit 90.

Hi, I actually stopped using the "RadeonVegaLowFanSpeed.kext" and used the VGTab-en.app to generate a kext to reduce the idle fan speed. This solution seems to be the best so far. I was getting crashes in FCPX, specially when using the Stabilization. Now everything seems to be working properly.

The only thing I did was changing the idle fan speed to 1000 and nothing else. When I touched other settings, the system was unstable.

For me the problem was more prominent. It would log me out (As if the gpu was unplugged) or simply show me a white/black/grey screen after using for sometime. As photos is always running, i m sure its using my gpu to convert videos n photos while uploading to icloud. Heaven and Valley were also doing the same. That is why I applied one of these patches and now its no longer crashing atleast in the same time frame. I ran heaven and valley at high settings with AA at 8x and no freezes. Testing at ultra setting did cause the same issue of logging me out or just freezing up the system. This card isn’t powerful enough to do 4k ultra at 60 plus fps so i m not worried about it. The only thing that I have not been able to reproduce is that white /black/grey screen freeze where after a few hours of use both monitors go one of those colors and audio stops. All i can do is restart the system. I m guessing it was gpu but I cannot say for sure.
I have the same problem with the Vega 64, sometimes while using the system normally with no high demand my screen goes black and I cannot do anything else other than force restart. This doesn't happen when I'm gaming, it happens when I'm using the OS, mostly safari and other apps. I think is something with the OS, Apple probably has a custom PCB of the Vega which is not working with any our Vega cards, any suggestions? I already tried editing the AMD file with fan fix Kext and that actually just slow the RPM when not high demand but it turns the card into a jet engine when in use, its unbearable

I have the same problem with the Vega 64, sometimes while using the system normally with no high demand my screen goes black and I cannot do anything else other than force restart. This doesn't happen when I'm gaming, it happens when I'm using the OS, mostly safari and other apps. I think is something with the OS, Apple probably has a custom PCB of the Vega which is not working with any our Vega cards, any suggestions? I already tried editing the AMD file with fan fix Kext and that actually just slow the RPM when not high demand but it turns the card into a jet engine when in use, its unbearable

Apple does have a different hardware ID on the Vega, however the one I have is supported under eGPU so it should work just fine. Vegatab will allow you to create a fan speed kext rather than edit the driver manually. Do you use iTunes while your Gaming?

Apple does have a different hardware ID on the Vega, however the one I have is supported under eGPU so it should work just fine. Vegatab will allow you to create a fan speed kext rather than edit the driver manually. Do you use iTunes while your Gaming?
I don't have problems with the fans and I do not think is overheating, my main problem is at least once a day the screen just goes black and I have to force restart, I have 4 noctua fans at max blowing air all the time to the card. I have the Sapphire Vega 64 Ref and the black screens one a day are getting me really mad, and now seeing that others vega users get the screen black it looks like its a common issue. PS: changed PSU and reinstalled the OS from scratch and this still happens. Mojave 10.14. like I said I can be gaming really hard with all ultra ultra ultra graphics and everything is fine until I use the operating system apps like safari, that's when everything goes wrong

I don't have problems with the fans and I do not think is overheating,

I do not either, I do not noice that it crashes from Safari but I do notice that when gaming and using iTunes it crashes. I was suggesting Vega tab because you said "turns the card into a jet engine when in use, its unbearable"

Update: disabling acceleration in safari fixed the problem, you have to enable debug mode in safari and then disable the acceleration

Update: disabling acceleration in safari fixed the problem, you have to enable debug mode in safari and then disable the acceleration

Which item in the Safari debug menu are you referring to disabling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back