Motherboard
Asus Strix Z370G Gaming WiFi (64GB RAM)
CPU
i7 8700K Coffee Lake
Graphics
Sapphire RX Vega 56 8GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I have a 10.13.5 i7 8700k Asus Z370g Gaming 2x 4k Dell monitors system (ideal copy of @pastrychef golden build) that I was using with 980ti but got tired of the video stuttering issues, so I ordered three AMD cards: Red Devil Vega 64, Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 and Sapphire Pulse RX 580. Tried the Vega 64 first, but it was very loud and once it spinned up its fans then it wouldn't never spin them down but also had some annoying mouse lag - I could steadily move mouse cursor in one direction and once every few seconds it would stop it for like 1/3 of a second and then just continue the movement.

Then I've switched the card for the Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 that seems to have fan speeds in check, however the annoying mouse lag/stutter is there as well. Does anyone knows what causes it and how to fix it? I've tried updating to latest 5422 Clover, latest Lilu, Shiki, and so on, but nothing seems to be fixing it. I've verified it with another USB mouse and the issue persists.

The problem doesn't exist on Sapphire Pulse RX 580 at all and I could keep this card, but obviously I'd prefer to keep at least Vega 56 for increased performance and future proof-ness. I've put back the Sapphire Vega 56 to test few things, but so far I couldn't get it fixed.

The OS recognises current card as 'Radeon RX Vega 56 8176 MB', the system profile I'm using in Clover is iMac 18,3 (as I've mentioned, pretty much ideal copy of @pastrychef build). Any help is appreciated!

I'm assuming this is the same as our exchange on ******.
https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/8r9uim/amd_vega_5664_mouse_lag/
I have the same issue with 2 Dell 4k monitors and a Vega 64. Last night I discovered a workaround. Simply powering off the 2nd monitor after logging in and then turning back on. After that the mouse lag/jump is gone. I can't believe I never tried something so simple. As you can see in the linked thread I've been trying to fix this for the last couple months with no luck.
So certainly not addressing whatever is wrong that is causing the issue, but a fix none the less.

I'm assuming this is the same as our exchange on ******.
https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/8r9uim/amd_vega_5664_mouse_lag/
I have the same issue with 2 Dell 4k monitors and a Vega 64. Last night I discovered a workaround. Simply powering off the 2nd monitor after logging in and then turning back on. After that the mouse lag/jump is gone. I can't believe I never tried something so simple. As you can see in the linked thread I've been trying to fix this for the last couple months with no luck.
So certainly not addressing whatever is wrong that is causing the issue, but a fix none the less.
Yes, that's my post as well, I was so desperate to get some help on this frustrating issue, that I've looked everywhere.

It was suggested to me yesterday in another thread by @pastrychef that the issue might have something to do with HDCP (check your console log, when it happens and look for 'HDCP' string) and indeed it was. This was followed by suggestion to check with different cables, and when I was doing so, the issue went away. I've also tested with another 27" 4k monitor by LG and didn't observe the issue there. When I left the machine for night, in the morning the issue was visible again, despite I've changed cables the day before. The day have passed, I've left the machine for some sleep and when I was back it was gone again.

I'm still waiting for better cables (hi quality 'certified' DP-DP and DP-mDP) to be shipped for some more testing, but at least now I know there's hope and that there may be a very easy fix. Hope this helps.

If the problem still exists, it's not a USB issue.
I also had the same problem with my XFX RX580 card. After many attempts to fix the issue, I found the only solution here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ebuffers-for-high-sierra-using-clover.235409/

The correctly selected Framebuffer should have the same port number as the graphics card. The correct assignment of ports and port types (HDMI/DP/DVI) has fixed all lag mouse problems.

Im sorry to revive this tread but i just installed a vega 64 and now my mouse is laggy with it, if i put the rx 580 back it will stop. how did you guys solved it?

Im sorry to revive this tread but i just installed a vega 64 and now my mouse is laggy with it, if i put the rx 580 back it will stop. how did you guys solved it?

Try using DiplayPort instead of HDMI. If you must use HDMI, look for a high quality cable.

Hi all, I have a similar problem and a possible solution. I have two mirrored monitors, a Benq GW2760S and Benq GL2760H. They are both connected with a HDMI to DVI cable. When switching one of them off, I get the following error in the Console (put "radeon" in the search box to track it while testing) and the mouse starts to lag/jump/stutter.

Code:
kernel    [3:0:0] AMD Error:
kernel    Failed HDCP: status 4

When I turn it back on, it works well and the errors in the Console stop. In my case, the monitors are mirrored. If I don't mirror them and turn off any of them it's fine. But if they are mirrored and one is off then it starts acting up. Benq has a setting in the System menu called "HDMI Auto Switch". I turned it ON on both monitors, and so far I haven't seen that error or any other issues, the errors stop and the mouse is smooth again. In my case, according to the manual, the HDMI Auto Switch: "When this function is activated, HDMI port will be in the input auto select loop. Otherwise, HDMI can only be selected by input select or by hot key". Check if you monitors have a similar setting. This issue could also be connected to HDCP being enabled. See (https://community.amd.com/thread/231030). I'll report back in a few days or so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back