Contribute
Register

AMD Ryzen System High Sierra Installation with OpenCore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuck in End Randomseed Again. I did it with iMac14,2 (this guys did it too) but maybe different SMBIOS can work. What do you think?
Sorry for the long pause, only came across your post now (because I didn't get notified).

As to the settings you're probably aware now, for your AMD setup you need to use AMD kernel patches to run your system. These have to be placed in the Kernel/patches section of your Opencore EFI.

With regards to the SMBIOS, I found what worked for me was iMac18,3 on High Sierra for most desktop settings. And if you want to bypass the macOS system check you should use -no_compat_check in the boot-args.

The problem with your setup is that you don't have an Intel IGPU which macOS uses. That may be a big concern for this build and may not work.

But if you are trying the initial install with Nvidia card attached you could try this. Enter '-v keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 alcid=1 npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1 -no_compat_check' to boot into the system. Once you've managed to get into the system and install the Nvidia drivers, you'll need to remove nv_disable=1 and replace it with nvda_drv_vrl=1 to enable the Nvidia web driver.

Okay - using my recent Atari VCS setup, as a proof of concept, I have managed to boot into High Sierra using my AMD Ryzen chip with Vega 3 GPU! I had used my VCS EFI for Mojave, but changed the SMBIOS to iMac18,3 and added no_compat_check as extra measure in the boot-args in Opencore Configurator. This allowed me to run the installer and also boot from my HS install.

View attachment 508094

So theoretically it should work with your setup. You can try my EFI folder to see if it will boot, adding in your MLB, serial numbers, ROM and UUID numbers (lower half section of SMBIOS section only). For board serial you may need to use Clover Configurator to generate, and copy the value over to the Opencore serial board number field.

For Nvidia card recognition, you may need to test by adding in
Code:
dart=0 darkwake=0 slide=0 nvda_drv_vrl=1 shikigva=256
as additions into boot-args.
Would it be possible to run a Ryzen 5950x with high sierra ? In order to use it for audio stuff

Would it be possible to run a Ryzen 5950x with high sierra ? In order to use it for audio stuff
Yes you should be able to. The macOS AMD Kernel patches is what you need to apply to make it work.

Yes you should be able to. The macOS AMD Kernel patches is what you need to apply to make it work.
So what would be the procedure ? I use clover as I did with an intel cpu ? And apply some patches later ? I'm sorry, I'm not an expert. I had the chance to try my first ha ckint osh and it worked directly under High Sierra with an intel CPU. ... So do I need to follow the instruction with clover as I did before and then add a patch ?
Thank you very much for your reply ! I'm needing a lot of cpu and I guess to build a new Computer.

The reason why I'm looking for High Sierra, is that I just wish to transfer all my SSD Drives into the new machine, which would have new Processor, motherboard and perhaps a graphical card if needed

So what would be the procedure ? I use clover as I did with an intel cpu ? And apply some patches later ? I'm sorry, I'm not an expert. I had the chance to try my first ha ckint osh and it worked directly under High Sierra with an intel CPU. ... So do I need to follow the instruction with clover as I did before and then add a patch ?
Thank you very much for your reply ! I'm needing a lot of cpu and I guess to build a new Computer.
No you wouldn't be using Clover, it's not compatible. Instead you'll be using Opencore.
The guide to using Opencore is here > https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/

The AMD Kernel is a special set of instructions you need to input into the kernel section of the Opencore
bootloader config.plist file. That list of codes is here > https://github.com/AMD-OSX/AMD_Vanilla

As it goes someone has already built a Ryzen system using High Sierra (using the above kernel).
Their build is here > https://github.com/misifiksi/ryzentosh-highsierra

Just download the EFI and add in your serials into the EFI with the GenSMBIOS to boot the system.
The build is for a Ryzen 7 2700X but this should work with the 5950X also.

If you have trouble with the main Ryzen build you can also refer to CaseySJ's build here > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...lt-3-amd-ryzen-7-3700x-amd-rx-5600-xt.304553/

No you wouldn't be using Clover, it's not compatible. Instead you'll be using Opencore.
The guide to using Opencore is here > https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/

The AMD Kernel is a special set of instructions you need to input into the kernel section of the Opencore
bootloader config.plist file. That list of codes is here > https://github.com/AMD-OSX/AMD_Vanilla

As it goes someone has already built a Ryzen system using High Sierra (using the above kernel).
Their build is here > https://github.com/misifiksi/ryzentosh-highsierra

Just download the EFI and add in your serials into the EFI with the GenSMBIOS to boot the system.
The build is for a Ryzen 7 2700X but this should work with the 5950X also.

If you have trouble with the main Ryzen build you can also refer to CaseySJ's build here > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...lt-3-amd-ryzen-7-3700x-amd-rx-5600-xt.304553/
Thank you so much ! I'm going to follow that ! Thank you again

My very last question would be this :

When the time comes to be able to install osx with high sierra,
would it be possible to just restore it from my actual boot drive, or from a back up of it ? Or do I need to install high sierra fully and then restore ?

And would it be possible to update from High Sierra to Big Sur ? Without the need to reinstall each elements of my drive ? Thank you again, I won't bother you after

Thank you so much ! I'm going to follow that ! Thank you again

My very last question would be this :

When the time comes to be able to install osx with high sierra,
would it be possible to just restore it from my actual boot drive, or from a back up of it ? Or do I need to install high sierra fully and then restore ?

And would it be possible to update from High Sierra to Big Sur ? Without the need to reinstall each elements of my drive ? Thank you again, I won't bother you after

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, and also a backup of it like Time Machine since it will work like any regular macOS. But the OS will need to be fully installed first on a new drive on the hackintosh before migration.

2) Yes absolutely, although I'd recommend if you want to upgrade to Big Sur to actually do it beforehand anyways (since you're going to be using it, as you can still migrate High Sierra data even with Big Sur). Also because Big Sur has some minor changes made to the AMD kernel and EFI config.

You're welcome.

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, and also a backup of it like Time Machine since it will work like any regular macOS. But the OS will need to be fully installed first on a new drive on the hackintosh before migration.

2) Yes absolutely, although I'd recommend if you want to upgrade to Big Sur to actually do it beforehand anyways (since you're going to be using it, as you can still migrate High Sierra data even with Big Sur). Also because Big Sur has some minor changes made to the AMD kernel and EFI config.

You're welcome.
Thank you so much ! Your help is so precious ! I can't imagine what I would have done without it ! Thanks a billion time !

I will now buy the components and my usbkey seems ready. If it's fail, there are plenty of efi from other users that I will use. Making the step by step was a big learning for me. Thank you Middleman.

Your recommendation is to install big sure and I understand that it will work with time machine too if I want to restore it.
If it's a success, I will make a tutorial here.

Sorry for the long pause, only came across your post now (because I didn't get notified).

As to the settings you're probably aware now, for your AMD setup you need to use AMD kernel patches to run your system. These have to be placed in the Kernel/patches section of your Opencore EFI.

With regards to the SMBIOS, I found what worked for me was iMac18,3 on High Sierra for most desktop settings. And if you want to bypass the macOS system check you should use -no_compat_check in the boot-args.

The problem with your setup is that you don't have an Intel IGPU which macOS uses. That may be a big concern for this build and may not work.

But if you are trying the initial install with Nvidia card attached you could try this. Enter '-v keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 alcid=1 npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1 -no_compat_check' to boot into the system. Once you've managed to get into the system and install the Nvidia drivers, you'll need to remove nv_disable=1 and replace it with nvda_drv_vrl=1 to enable the Nvidia web driver.
Hello, as far as I can see you are well versed in hackintosh and help people with advice. I highly appreciate it, you are doing a great job :) If you answered my question, you would incredibly help me and other people who will face a similar question. I have exactly the same setup as your B550 motherboard, Radion RX 6800 and Ryzen 9 5900x processor.

The question is, is it possible to install High Sierra OS with this setup? High Sierra OS for Parallels Desktop 13 installation, the only working virtual machine for AMD. I was able to launch open core, format the disk and start recovery. But after rebooting, the Install MacOS option does not appear.

Attached my EFI which works great for BigSur.

Attachments

• EFI.rar
    2 MB · Views: 169
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back