Contribute
Register

AMD Ryzen 7000 CPUs announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I do get a Z690 with a 12th generation i7 it will be to run Windows only, not MacOS. I shall continue to run MacOS (Sierra / High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina only at this time, maybe Big Sur later) using my 9th and 8th generation Intel systems (the first and second systems in my signature).

But yes, I have heard about that. It will be amusing to see whether these newer Intel CPUs really can or cannot run MacOS Intel. Have anybody here gotten a recent Alder Lake CPU (bought in the last 2 months) and see if it can run MacOS, for that matter? I wonder.

Is AVX-512 required to run MacOS? I don't think the earlier Ryzen CPUs have them. But they were able to run MacOS.
Nope.. I'm running macOS quite happily on a Z690 based board and a 12th gen i9. Dual boot into Windows 11 Pro. AVX-512 being disabled does not seem to affect it whatsoever. I am not even sure if mine supports it or not. It all comes down to the batch number which I haven't checked. But all it says is that my CPU was bought in March.

For those interested, Moore's Law Is Dead provides some great coverage on the differences between Ryzen 7000 and Intel's upcoming Raptor Lake. It seems that on the top end of chip model range, Raptor Lake should match the Ryzen 7950X blow for blow >

And reported by ArsTechnica Intel's Raptor Lake will also be previewing a new interesting technology called WiFi Proximity Sensing, which allows your PC to wake on its own (or turn off when you leave the immediate area), all thanks to just using the wifi chip on the Raptor Lake chipset.

'Insane!'. My words exactly!.
Der Bauer has an overclocker's dream job. See how far you can push high end CPUs until you kill them. Must be very satisfying work !

Der Bauer has an overclocker's dream job. See how far you can push high end CPUs until you kill them. Must be very satisfying work !
Sounds fun!, being paid to destroy stuff!. More news!, B650 chipsets have leaked, no ASUS though and no mention of 620 :confused:

I like that AMD has given Intel some real competition the past 5 years. What I don't like is that they copy the mobo and CPU names that Intel uses, making everything more confusing. Is a B550 motherboard AMD or Intel ? All of Intel's B series boards used to end in 50. Now that AMD took that designation, they end in 60 like the B560.

Here's a new Ryzen 4 CPU. The Ryzen 9 -7900X.

Screen Shot.jpg

That's nearly exactly the same name Intel gave to an HEDT CPU just five years ago. Minus the small i in front.

Screen Shot 1.jpg

I like that AMD has given Intel some real competition the past 5 years. What I don't like is that they copy the mobo and CPU names that Intel uses, making everything more confusing. Is a B550 motherboard AMD or Intel ? All of Intel's B series boards used to end in 50. Now that AMD took that designation, they end in 60 like the B560.

Here's a new Ryzen 4 CPU. The Ryzen 9 -7900X.

View attachment 555508

That's nearly exactly the same name Intel gave to an HEDT CPU just five years ago. Minus the small i in front.

View attachment 555509
I'm sure AMD did that deliberately to cause confusion, naming conventions aren't AMDs strong point, I think this is also mentioned in the Dortania guide. I see that it could be confusing for most people with the board numbers, B550 is definitely AMD, I owned one and passed it on to my 8yr old, who doesn't really care that I paired a B550 with a Ryzen 7 1700X. And that's the advantage with AMD boards, well until the upgrade to 7000. How many processors can you fit in AM4, there's a few with AMD promising more, and you don't have to buy a new board every two generations of chips, unlike Intel where if you want a new chip, you'll probably have to buy a new board!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back